Ape weak on own. Ape strong in unity.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone.

I have started to develop 3DS homebrew.
Also, I know pretty much everything about C++.

However, there are so many other things in LIBCTRU/DEVKITPRO when it comes to other functions like

Code:
        gfxFlushBuffers();
        gfxSwapBuffers();
        gspWaitForVBlank();

It's like a whole different programming language.

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Sorry to be the one to say, but you know nothing about C++ or C. Those are functions.
well he says they are functions... so he knows that
but yeah if he knows "pretty much everything" about c++, he should be comfortable figuring it out himself

ah, sorry, now he says he knows an 'asston'. (i was taking this seriously before i read this part)

lol

and you emailed SMEA, you couldn't see they were coming from ctrulib yourself? lol

Last edited by cearp,

dpad_5678

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well he says they are functions... so he knows that
but yeah if he knows "pretty much everything" about c++, he should be comfortable figuring it out himself
You know what I mean :rolleyes:

Like, alot. (Been studying for 1.5 years on and off.)

But smea said they are part of ctrulib, and when I google one of those functions, only results about the 3DS comes up.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I know an asston about C++ .

I never used those function, and when I emailed smea ( [email protected] / [email protected] ) and he said they were part of ctrulib.
C and C++ are pretty extensible languages (like almost any language to be honest)
In C / C++ you almost always use 3rd party libraries or your own libraries, some time standard libraries.
But AFAIK no standard C / C++ library covers anything related to gfx.
So your question comes a little stupid.
What is this all you know about C / C++?
How don't you know about functions and libraries?
How don't you know to RTFM regarding the library?

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
You know what I mean :rolleyes:

Like, alot. (Been studying for 1.5 years on and off.)

But smea said they are part of ctrulib, and when I google one of those functions, only results about the 3DS comes up.
read the function definition... or just general game programming stuff about buffers, and swapping buffers, double buffers...
but surely you don't need me to tell you to read the function definition...

i can program c++ ok enough, but i would never say i know everything about it, especially if immediately afterwards i ask a (basic!) question :D

Last edited by cearp,

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I never used those function, and when I emailed smea ( [email protected] / [email protected] ) and he said they were part of ctrulib.

Well what i you usually do with stuff like that is look into the Header files (especially if there is no documentation available). In this case you just look into the ctrulib/include directory and see what functions are available in the Header files. Then you still can go on and ask your specific questions ;)

Last edited by nIxx,

dpad_5678

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
C and C++ are pretty extensible languages (like almost any language to be honest)
In C / C++ you almost always use 3rd party libraries or your own libraries, some time standard libraries.
But AFAIK no standard C / C++ library covers anything related to gfx.
So your question comes a little stupid.
What is this all you know about C / C++?
How don't you know about functions and libraries?
How don't you know to RTFM regarding the library?
I know what libraries are. They include other functions so we are not limited to just the basic functions of C++ and it's included library's.

But, for example, why would I use any 3DS library's before I code for the 3DS? How would I be familiar with the functions in the 3DS library's?

nIxx

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
But, for example, why would I use any 3DS library's before I code for the 3DS? How would I be familiar with the functions in the 3DS library's?

You obviously can't but the point is the "usual" C/C++ libs are well documented all over the Internet with custom made stuff you can't expect that this is why they provide you the examples and as said just look into the ctrulib Header files. You can maybe even use Doxygen (the needed files should be in the git ctrulib repo) to get a more readable documentation from the functions available.
Edit: I can confirm Doxygen works fine just get it from here http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/download.html and use it on the Doxyfile in the ctrulib directory. Or if you are lazy just download it from here http://www32.zippyshare.com/v/IA14ZT2I/file.html

Last edited by nIxx,

Syphurith

Beginner
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Code:
        gfxFlushBuffers();
        gfxSwapBuffers();
        gspWaitForVBlank();
First.. Thanks for your interest in the homebrew development! Hope you are happy when created a thing.
Second.. For these 3 lines, the Buffer is cycled. If you need to use FrameBuffer from ARM11, the 3 lines are quite useful if you want to force update it.
And there is also many ??SyncRequest calls with special numbers to system modules, and ??FlushDataCache or ??InvalidateDataCache..
You could find documentation for libctru functions from its "include" folder.
Third.. There is Steveice10 who gets used to C++ development and you may want to have a look at his libraries shared on his github account.

Reactions: cearp

Mrrraou

Trophies
XP
Country
France

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr