Buying the Game without the System?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by ponygals, Oct 15, 2016.

1. ponygals
    OP

ponygals GBAtemp Regular

Oct 29, 2013
    United States
    California
    Have any of you, ever bought a game without the system? Like your new to the gaming consoles and wanted to go forth and buy the games you wanted first, then buy the console you wanted for those games, later on? Or do you think this is a silly idea.

2. Autz

Autz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 18, 2016
    Venezuela
    Is the most intelligent thing to do, so why not?

Warning: Spoilers inside!

3. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    ha....
    when i was a teenager i bought 1500+ steam games because of sales bundles etc...
    i wasted loads of money and i was always broke as hell...
    never had enough money to buy a good computer to actually run them....
    heh... stupid teenager me...

HaloEffect17 and Mikemk like this.
  4. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Erm...I think you accidentally created this thread twice, @ponygals. :)

Personally: no. Never. I've bought some games where I didn't had the console per se but another that could play them (DS and gamecube games when I had a 3DS and a wii), and perhaps PC games where I had a low-end spec.

Is it? Wait a couple years and the PC specs lower in price. It's not like those games go anywhere. And unlike on consoles, you can play these easily on any systems years later.

migles likes this.
  5. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai baja boner blast

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    Well, I have one SFC game, and the closest thing I have to a working SFC is a (possibly) broken SNES.

6. Daggot

Daggot GBAtemp Fan

Aug 3, 2015
    United States
    I once knew a dude who somehow got a hold of a copy of Perfect Dark Zero before most of the reviews dropped and the xbox 360 had even released. Considering the fact that the game was a disappointment for many it turned out to be a bad idea but at that point the problem was about buying games early in general not just before the system.

Last edited by Daggot, Oct 15, 2016
  7. Wellington2k

Wellington2k DO YOU HAS?

Nov 1, 2010
    United States
    Somewhere in this world of ours
    I bought Mario Paint in the original box with all the manuals, and it came with a dust protector for the cart and the mouse and mouse pad. All for $3. I didn't own an SNES, but it was too good a deal to pass up. Eventually, a year or so later, I found an SNES for a good price ($15) and got it.

In short, I only bought it because it was a good deal and a good collector's item, even if I couldn't play it.

HaloEffect17 likes this.
  8. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
  9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    When family and housemates have such systems then of course.

If the thing is to be a gift then sure.

If the game is rare and interesting to me I will do it for a price I care for (usually pocket change).

If the game was rare and/or expensive I am not above paying little and flipping it later.

If I did not have the system but wanted to legally play the game on an emulator or modify the game then of course I buy it.

Buying games now for a system I intend to have later... alas I theoretically have a job so that is less of a concern. I did not when I was a spotty teenager though, mainly as games seldom were hard to come by so I thought it best to have the system first. I guess technically I did buy bags of games at times and they sometimes had examples of games for platforms I did not.

As for doing what is described in the OP. I guess if you did have an offer on the games that was too good to pass up then that is a thing, likewise if you do not rate your self control, if you expect to get the console by some other means. With all that said between video players, demos, rental as apparently that is still a thing, second hand games and more besides it is possible to use a modern console for very cheap.

10. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    I got SEGA Genesis games months before I actually bought the console hahaha.

11. Fishaman P

Fishaman P Speedrunner

Jan 2, 2010
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Technically I got RODEA for the Wii U a year ago while I still don't own one...
    But that was to get the Wii version.

12. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I actually still own broken consoles and working cartridges with nothing to play them on. While i didn't buy them when i had no console still i mean is still same situation. :P

13. hyprskllz

hyprskllz Gashatto!!

Apr 19, 2016
    Indonesia
    Auldrant
    I bought Final Fantasy XIII on the launch day. When i read some reviews for the game, i thought that i may have wasted $60 on a shitty game.
    3 years later i have my own PS3, and i enjoyed that game. Now i'm not reading reviews anymore, and just plays what i want to play.

14. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    I hardly ever do this. I've done it only twice, with SSB Wii.U to get a steel book (i knew I was getting a Wii.U extremely soon) and I've recently pre ordered the Persona 5: Take your Heart Edition, I do not have a PS4 but I cannot pass this up! I'll get one eventually and hopefully before it comes out. If not I visit a family member who has one quite frequently!

I would say it's only okay if it's a collectors item.

15. Magical Sheep

Magical Sheep The Super Stylish Black Cat

Jan 22, 2016
    United States
    The Metaverse
    I don't know if it counts, but I bought ReCore and I don't have an Xbox, though it's usable on Windows 10. (I can play it, which is why I feel like it wouldn't count for this.)
    Honestly, I can understand buying a game before owning the system. It helps to build hype. :D

16. Supster131

Supster131 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    Sure, if you're sure you're going to get the system.

I guess this was kind of cheating, but I found out my parents bought me a PS4 for Christmas (2014) about a month in advance (I have my ways).
    Around two weeks before Christmas, Knack was on sale at Best Buy for $5 I think. Knack was a game I was interested in, so I bought it. My parents already knew I found out they bought me the PS4, so they didn't ask why I bought Knack XD

17. invaderyoyo

invaderyoyo invader

Mar 17, 2014
    United States
    Southern California
    I bought a WonderSwan and never got any games for it. So the exact opposite.