buying new laptop need recommendations

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Heavenlydeath, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Heavenlydeath
    OP

Heavenlydeath Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2011
    United States
    just outside the 13th hierarchical city of kagutsu
    Hi there I have a budget of $650 and am lookin for a good laptop any suggestions?

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    the_randomizer likes this.
  3. Luckkill4u

Luckkill4u 4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jul 13, 2008
    Canada
    Insomnia
  4. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    Odd, I find my Dell quite nice and well built, and it's lasted me 3 years. I also have an Acer that is no gaming laptop but managed to amaze sometimes (Somehow played Portal 2 nicely with a 1.5GHz Celeron). I agree with the rest though.

5. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Generally speaking, Dell has a notoriety for having a very high failure rate, I know this firsthand as I've worked in their tech support, so it's by no means unsubstantiated; it seems you just got very lucky lol :D Asus, Lenovo, Toshiba, etc have much lower failure rates.

6. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Dell's Business laptops are quite nice, but their consumer level ones are pretty crap.

And Acer laptops are one of the poorest quality laptops out there, out of all the laptops I've fixed/attempted to fix Acer's were the most common, most of the time due to hardware malfunctions (the most common being overheating). I know they've stepped up on their Ultrabooks, but they're still out-classed by ASUS/Lenovo etc etc.

TyBlood13 and the_randomizer like this.
  7. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    Well we don't call my Acer "Lawnmower Man" for nothing, though I luckily never had many overheats. And yeah, my Dell is one of there Business ones. The wonders you find in the Scratch And Dent department of their online store

8. Heavenlydeath
    OP

Heavenlydeath Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2011
    United States
    just outside the 13th hierarchical city of kagutsu
    id like a laptop for mild gaming and mostly for watching movies and such on 1080p would be nice and i like the refurb asus you showed its probably top on my list atm thanks guys for all the help

9. locolol

locolol Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2009
    Mexico
    Mexicali,BC
    Just stay away from HP/Compaq Presario and you'll be fine ^_^

the_randomizer likes this.
  10. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Doesn't matter much which brand you get, they all have a fairly high failure rate by the 3 year mark. It's just that HP is comparatively higher (due to poorly designed cooling in many of their laptops) than Asus, which still has a one in six chance of failure in 3 years.

Anyway, don't just blindly avoid HP, go by what the actual reviews for each laptop says. If nobody complains about the heat, you're golden. Same with Acer and the others, not ALL of their laptops are bad, just certain models that give the brand a bad name (remember that they just assemble laptops, not make them, so bad parts will bring any brand down).
    ...but do stay away from Compaq. They're built to be cheap, and I've yet to see a single Compaq that isn't a POS. Dell (same company that builds Compaqs) Latitude laptops are much better in quality (even if they do use cheap motherboards).

11. TyBlood13

TyBlood13 Weeaboo Trash

Jul 1, 2012
    United States
    Kentucky
    HP and Compaq are the same, not Dell

locolol likes this.
  12. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    *wiki* ... You're right. My mistake.
    Edit: they USED to be Dell, before HP acquired them. In 2002.

TyBlood13 likes this.
  13. CompassNorth

CompassNorth Denko (´・ω・`)

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    A notebook cooler and thermal paste are pretty much essential if you're going to use a gaming laptop as your main machine.