Buying my first PSP Slim/Lite

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by DarkWay, Mar 11, 2009.

Mar 11, 2009

Buying my first PSP Slim/Lite by DarkWay at 2:01 AM (1,624 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. DarkWay
    OP

Member DarkWay tsubasa hiroge

United Kingdom
    ok so basically I'm buying a PSP slim/lite and I want to mod it, I have a nintendo DS and thats just so easy to mod using a flashcart and updating firmware now and again however I've read varias threads and the PSP seems to be alot more complete for someone who hasn't don it before.

so from you experts out there I would like to know:

1. What do I need to mod my PSP slim/lite
    2. how much will it cost me (approx.)
    3. what are the chances of me killing my psp slim/lite
    4. if I manage to successfully mod my psp what should I NOT do to prevent me from bricking it, i.e firmware updates e.t.c.

please help me out, I may not have my psp YET but I want to be prepared for when I get it so that I can mod it straight away

2. Diablo1123

Member Diablo1123 Newcomer

United States
    1 To mod slim you need a Pandora battery and manage memory stick.
    2 Depends where you get the stuff
    3 Pretty low, even if you fail, you can try again
    4 Brick it for fun if you are bored and flash it again with the pandora battery. [​IMG]

3. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    1) a spare psp battery oryou can buy one thats already turned into a pandora battery from deal extreme for cheap.
    2) nothing (except if you have to buy another battery) cheap
    3) very slim, as long as you follow instructions.
    4) don't touch the flash files [​IMG] and keep your flash files backed up so you can recover it. As stated above you can recover it anyway with pandora.

Some new psp's can't be modded yet as far as I know.

4. DarkWay
    OP

United Kingdom
    I'm unsure on how new my psp will be as I'm buyinng it from ebay cause its cheaper it says its like new and with all cables plus boxed e.t.c. but y'never I may have to do some minor repairs (not a problem there)

is there any software that I'd need for modding the psp?

5. DarkWay
    OP

United Kingdom
    I'm unsure on how new my psp will be as I'm buyinng it from ebay cause its cheaper it says its like new and with all cables plus boxed e.t.c. but y'never I may have to do some minor repairs (not a problem there)

6. thegame07

United Kingdom
    yes you will need to download the custom firmware you want to put on your psp.

7. DarkWay
    OP

United Kingdom

Posts merged

woops think my internet froze up abit... [​IMG]

8. thegame07

United Kingdom
    http://www.qj.net/

good site for psp stuff, you can get all custom firmwares and homebrew on there.

9. DarkWay
    OP

United Kingdom
    what software would you recommend being the "best" with the highest compatabilty and ease, speed if use

and sorry for all of these questions I just want to make sure I get it right and I have the most up to date stuff

10. thegame07

United Kingdom
    http://pspupdates.qj.net/QuickJump-QuickGu...g/49/aid/129255

Heres a nice little guide for the latest version of the custom firmware and all the links you need are on there. When using custom firmware sometimes you need to install a major firmware version first lets make an example custom firmware 3.08 before you install 3.08 you might have to install 3.0 first, if you catch my drift. Everything you need to know are in the read me provided when you download the firmware. If you install a certain custom firmware and you don't like it you can downgrade without a problem and you can do it how many times you want.

Also to let you know make sure you never update your psp with offcial sony firmware.

11. DarkWay
    OP

United Kingdom
    oh boy [​IMG] this could be fun.... [​IMG]

Read the link you just gave me (thanks for that) with that guide and from it I'm guessing (could be wrong) that 5.00 m33-6 is the latest custom firmware..... [​IMG] and on another note about the pandora battery what is the best/easiest and cheapest way to go about this part of the mod?

damn why can't this be as simple as the ds flashcart [​IMG] however I on't give up on this considering I just paid for my ds

12. thegame07

United Kingdom
  13. DarkWay
    OP

United Kingdom
    ok I read the info from http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75828, and if I understood it right then I need another homebrew compatible psp to get the files I need [​IMG] but I don't know if this is for making my own pandora battery or for something else, if it is needed I don't know anybody nearby that has a homebrew compatible psp so is there a way I can get around this little problem easily?

also I read the reviews about the pandora battery from dealextreme and it seems as if the build quality stinks could this be due to fakes? if so where could I get a real one?

and yes I'm very annoying with all of my questions I know that and I apologise and thankyou thegame07 for all the help you have given me so far

14. thegame07

United Kingdom
    If you buy that battery you wont need another psp [​IMG] It doens't really matter the quality of the battery you only need to use it for 10 mins or so then can you shove it in a drawer.

15. DarkWay
    OP

United Kingdom
    [​IMG] wouldn't I need to use that battery to play? or do I only need it for a while so it can tell the psp to boot to something else and then switch back to the standad battery? and is that a one time only thing or is it for each custom firmware update

man I'll get my head around all of this in a minute

16. thegame07

United Kingdom
    You only use that battery from dealextreme to downgrade then once you have downgraded your psp you switch back to the normal battery. it's for downgrading not for installing custom firmware [​IMG]

17. DarkWay
    OP

United Kingdom
    ok that sounds simple enough now how would I get the custom firmware on the psp then? and I'll need something like a memory stick pro duo to do this right?

18. thegame07

United Kingdom

yes you need a memory stick they are quite cheap now. To install custom firmware on your psp you follow the guide I first posted.

1. http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75828 do this with your pandora battery
    2. http://pspupdates.qj.net/QuickJump-QuickGu...g/49/aid/129255 then do this. Download the custom firmware thats posted in the guide and read the text file thats provided.

thats it you can do whatever you want now , homebrew, psp games, ps1 games etc.

19. DarkWay
    OP

United Kingdom
    well I think I've got my head around it now but if I have an problems I'll post back here but that won't be until I recieve everything oo 1 last question how big are psp /psx isos generally? this way I can judge the size of the mem stick I buy

20. thegame07

United Kingdom
    Well ripped psp games are around 800mb to 1 GB, unripped I have seen them at nearly 1.5GB it differs alot per game. I would get a 4GB memory stick at least they are quite cheap. I can't remember the size of ps1 isos but they are smaller than the psp ones for sure.