I know this has probably been asked a few times before, but I feel the need to ask it more recently. Would it be worth it to buy a console that is GW compatible, or just wait and pray it ever supports 9.5.0?
The benefit of being on 4.x is the DS exploit, which is much easier to trigger then the 9.2 exploit. 9.2 exploit does allow you to run DS flash carts via sysNAND iirc.
Not being connected to the internet on sysNAND almost removes the chances of it downloading the update in the background.
I would recommend going down to 4.x, as long as you know what you are doing. There is a small risk of brick, but nothing dangerous if you know what you're doing. Don't lose power during the downgrade, and it will be fine
Remember. Either choice, remember to make a NAND backup.
I picked up a 2DS brand new here when these were £49 last week, was temped with a sky3ds card after waiting for n3ds support from gateway but it seemed more logical to by a secondary console than a different card altogether. My tip is to buy a secondary console while waiting for latest support for gateway.