Buying a new flashcart - need advice

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by smid, Jan 16, 2010.

Jan 16, 2010
  1. smid
    OP

Newcomer smid Advanced Member

Japan
    Hello

I'm using a slot 2 cart atm and I'm getting tired of not being able to play the latest games, so I'm going to upgrade to a newer cart.
    I'm thinking about an acekard 2i or an R4i. Which one do you guys recommend?
    If I decide to buy an R4i, which version should I buy? Seems to be a lot of them... Gold, Ultra etc.
    I only play games on my DS so I want the one with best rom compatibility and good support for fixes/firmware for games not working etc...

One more thing, does the newly released "Last Window" work on Acekard 2i? A patch was released to get it working on r4 but I haven't seen anything about it working on acekard

Thanks in advance

(sorry for my poor english)

2. Hatsu

Banned Hatsu Someone's been killing, eh?

Australia
    Why did you even think of getting any product to do with the R4? That is a pretty stupid idea.

Just get an Acekard with the AKAIO firmware.

3. smid
    OP

Japan
    Ok.. I must admit I have not followed the flash cart "news" for quite some time so I don't know much about it.
    I'll consider getting an acekard.
    Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it

4. 8BitWalugi

Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Australia
    You could wait for the Super Card DS2

5. Hatsu

Banned Hatsu Someone's been killing, eh?

Australia
    I'm doing that. [​IMG]

(Already have an Acekard though!)

6. Rising_Dragon

Newcomer Rising_Dragon Member

United States
    I'd go with super card DS2 currently as the situation with Ak2i and akaio are on shaky grounds.

AK2i is a great cart and all but you might be buying into a product that is potentially at the end of it's 'usefulness' lifespan.

Edit: wording fix

7. XWolf

Member XWolf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Shakey ground? Not really. The current Akaio will run anything thrown at it. If just for the DS then it will run anything to come as well. It's only the DSi owners who might have issues in the future.

As for the SC2 - until it actually comes out I am sceptical as to it's capabilities or availability.

8. smid
    OP

Japan
    Thanks everyone.. guess I'll either go with acekard or wait for the dstwo. Guess it will be pretty expensive though.
    Anyway, what about the Supercard DSone? Is that card any good?

9. House Spider

Banned House Spider In the GBAtemp attic.

Ireland
    Yes, Supercard is good. It has a new and improved firmware and it has a "Stealth-Mode". But wait for SCDS2 if you're considering a SCDS1.

10. bach3609

Member bach3609 GBAtemp Fan

Vietnam
    Your best choice would be SCDStwo, although it could be quite expensive. Or if you want a good cheap well working card get an acekard2i.

11. smid
    OP

Japan
    thanks a lot guys. I think I'll go with the supercard DSOnei. I can't wait for DSTwo since I need the card pretty soon and it doesn't seem to be that much of a difference between dsone and two. I just play DSGames so I'm not interested in emulators and stuff.
    Was planning on going with the acekard but it seems it lacks the real time save function (which I love).
    Anyway, thanks a bunch guys! Really appreciate the help!

12. Rising_Dragon

Newcomer Rising_Dragon Member

United States

[​IMG]
    Now he might be pulling our leg or not, but I rather keep it in mind if you were looking to get updates for the 'indefinite' future.
    Sure the card works on everything up to this point but who's to say it will a year from now and Normmatt hasn't put out new loaders?

13. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    Are you a spambot? Unless you've been living under a rock, you should know that you're suggesting a crappy R4 clone

14. Nimbus

Member Nimbus sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1

United Kingdom
    I'd say an AK2i with AKAIO.

I don't have my Acekard2 yet, but I have heard wonderful things about it so I can probably vouch for it.

I'd order it off of RHS though, also heard good stuff about them. They are located in the US too so if you live here then delivery theoretically should be much faster. Reasonably good prices too from what I've taken a gander at.

R4's had their moment in the spotlight, but now are the worst flashcarts from what I have read (The R4 team doesn't even support or develop their kernels anymore)

I'd normally say an M3 Zero is also a good choice, but the M3 Team lately has been kinda spotty and/or slow on their fixes and all that. Something I don't have the patience for. I have a M3DS Real myself but it is slowly boring me to death, as all I can view the Sakura firmware/loader as anymore is a Moonshell2 knockoff with rom support. Moonlight developed it, but I am sickened that the M3 Team never paid him for it)