Button, button, who's got the button...

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Riversong, Aug 18, 2011.

Aug 18, 2011
  1. Riversong
    OP

Newcomer Riversong Member

United States
    Ok, so this has been going on for a while. My 3DS power button has been having some issues. Sometimes when I press the button, I have to press it multiple times before it will power on. It started right after I updated it for the last major update (ie. the one that brought us the Nintendo eShop). I know I am using the correct amount of pressure, and I am fairly sure that it's not a software issue (although I am not sure). I would send it into Nintendo to get it serviced, but I have three fears/problems in doing so:

1. I use a flashcart to play DS games on occasion (Ak2i). Nintendo might find a trace of this in/on the 3DS hard drive, thus negating the warranty.

2. Even if issue 1 (listed above) is not a problem, I am afraid they would "accidentally" erase the hard drive. This happened twice with my Wii when I sent it into Nintendo, and they had to take my Wii apart, examine it, and put it back together. Long story on that, and best not to ask about it. (as the old saying goes: fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me). Keep in mind, that I sent in my Wii roughly about the time Animal Crossing: City Folk came out.

3. Even if one and two don't apply they may send me a refurbished model, and I still would lose my save data.

I am part of Nintendo's ambassador program, and that's thing one of a grocery list of things I don't want to lose out on by sending it in to get it fixed. Obviously if this had happened on day two of its release or even in the first month, I wouldn't mind sending it in.

Suffice it to say, I would love any feed back, or ideas anyone has. Also, if you need a few further deets, please don't hesitate to ask.

2. loco365

Member loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Have you updated to the latest version? There was a known error with the power button that was fixed.

3. KidIce

Member KidIce Smart Ass

United States
    1. Do you know what a hard drive is? The 3DS doesn't have a hard drive... And forget the idea of Nintendo knowing you used your AceKard unless you leave it in there when you send the 3DS in.

2. Clearly you do NOT know what a hard drive is. Again, the 3DS does not have one. I'm sorry to be mean, but this gross misuse of terminology makes me doubt anything even remotely technical you say is accurate.

3. No you won't. Anything you play that is cartridge based stores its saves on the cartridge, not on the SD or any internal storage in the 3DS. DSiWare stores it's saves on the DSI/3DS's flash memory. Move them to your SD and the saves will move w/ them. Do not send the SD in w/ your 3DS and your saves will be safe.

I am quite sure Nintendo will honor your Ambassador status even if they send you a refurbished unit. They will just move that account to that unit.

I also suspect that you are just impatient and unobservant. The 3DS is VERY slow to go from being powered off to being ready to use. If it is powered off and you tap the button watch the power light. If it lights up blue, there is nothing wrong w/ your 3DS you just need to wait for the thing to do all it's security checks, load the system software and actually start running. In this case, you just aren't waiting the required time and there is nothing wrong w/ your 3DS.

If you press the power button all the way down on your 3DS while it is off and the blue power lite does not turn on, then yes you have a problem.

4. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    do you mean if he presses it and nothing happens ever? or do you mean if he presses it and has to press it a few times to have it boot up? because the latter is exactly what the 3ds is doing, its a known issue, and nintendo denies it and then attempted to address it.

@Riversong: give this a read - http://gbatemp.net/t299556-3ds-power-button-problem

-another world

5. dimmidice

Member dimmidice GBAtemp Maniac

Belgium
    i ALWAYS have to press twice in rapid succesion. it's not an issue really. it doesnt seem to be getting worse so i'm not bothered

6. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    You use the power button :wtf:!

7. Weaselpipe

Member Weaselpipe Erratic Temp user

United Kingdom
  8. Riversong
    OP

Newcomer Riversong Member

United States
    Ahh, this makes me feel a little bit better. I was beginning to think I was the only one with this issue. Now I feel like it's bit of a conspiracy to keep the system on 24/7 (kidding on that last part).

9. brandonspikes

Member brandonspikes King Erazer

United States
  10. Pippin666

Member Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Canada
    I don't feel your power button is defective. It is suppose to be hold a little before it goes into effect. Some people complains of this, some other people complains that they press the power button accidentely ..

People are never happy.

Btw, you can save your stuff on SD. Either Wii or 3DS so there is no excuse for not backing them up in case of Nintendo sends you a replace OR delete the "hdd".

Pip'