Burn all wads game into DVD

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by beemisc, Mar 3, 2009.

Mar 3, 2009

Burn all wads game into DVD by beemisc at 2:18 AM (5,753 Views / 0 Likes) 39 replies

1. beemisc
    OP

Newcomer beemisc Member

United States
    Hi,

Let's take Wiiplay as an example, one DVD with many small games inside. Is there a way to do this for the wads game like Wiiware?

Grouping all the wads, and burn into a Wii playable DVD follow the correct format of the the Wii DVD. Whenever want to play game, load the DVD in and use the backup loader and you can select which game to play.

Thanks...

2. Dark_anth

Banned Dark_anth Banned

United States
    you know, i heard something about this a while back about someone taking a modified brawl ISO and editing the VC demo slots in the ISO by putting full wads in them instead of shitty demos.. havent heard an update in a while... sure would like one..

3. Sstew

Member Sstew GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.

United States
    I could be wrong but I dont think thats possible at all. The DVD player loads ISO's not WADS

4. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    Hell, I asked about this in IRC a while back... got laughed out of the room, and called a noob, a pirate, and an asshole...

I'd just like to be able to install WADs from a DVD... I only have a 1gig card... would love to be able to burn all my WADs to a disc, and then pop it in when I want to install/uninstall one...

5. ekolimits

Member ekolimits GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i think hes talking about loading wads off of a dvd, that would be awsome... something like dvd homebrew launcher for wads like virtual console or wii ware.

6. HowardC

Member HowardC GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well let's be clear about something first. Wads are a packaging container... when you use wadmanager (or whatever) to install a wad the app extracts the wad and puts the CONTENTS in a folder on your wii as well as making a ticket entry. So as for wads themselves, the answer is no as the wii can't run wads period.

Now as for the contents themselves it should be possible in theory. The issue isn't so much as getting them to run on a dvd, but making a proper menu and loader to be able to select and launch them properly. I'm pretty sure some of our spanish friends have already made an app that lets you run Vc titles off a disc, but they never got saves to work and you could only put one title on a disc.

7. Dark_anth

Banned Dark_anth Banned

United States
    ughh.... its been done! look at my first post.

8. WiiBlaster

Member WiiBlaster GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I believe that is correct, Its been awhile ago, but i remember seeing a video about it, And yes only one, game could be put on the Disc,

9. beemisc
    OP

Newcomer beemisc Member

United States
    I am not talking about loading wads off DVD and run. I mean if you have wads, burn them into Wii format DVD. When you put the DVD into the Wii, it should run game like you run Wii Music/Wii Play/Wii Sport... At that time, on the DVD is not wads anymore.

Not sure if this possible though cause the structure of Wii DVD might be a secret.

10. david432111

Member david432111 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Denmark
    I could probably mod a wad manager to do this if you want.

11. ddp127

Member ddp127 GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    yes, that would be great, because i never have enough space on my sd

12. beemisc
    OP

Newcomer beemisc Member

United States
    This could be a temporary solution. I have searched around but coudln't find away to access DVD. I heard about libdi but not sure how to use it.

13. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    I can't think of why it wouldn't be possible to install WADs from DVD.

SD or DVD, the process is still basicallly unpacking the WAD to system memory.

14. oneleggedjack

Member oneleggedjack GBAtemp Regular

United States
    did anyone ever build the wadmanager GUI? I remember talking about it but that's it, people made sweet little mock ups that looked like the shop channel, with screenshots and everything, now that with DVD capability would be the ultimate Wadmanager

15. david432111

Denmark
    I'll have to take a look in the mplayer source then. It loads data from dvd's.

16. Valgreen

Member Valgreen GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    hmm.. i dont think this is impossible at all.. tis just no one has really looked into doing this. all it would really involve is someone integrating dvdx support into wad manager so that dvd is another source in the install selection (ie front sd card, usb, etc etc).

what an ingenious idea though, makes perfect sense to be able to backup all your wads to a burnable disc.

...and go away all you flamers who are going to say just install from sd card..options are good, i like options...

17. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    some people on eltrolado claimed once they wer working on this, based on the VC laucher that is included in SSBM

but they apparently failed at getting anything worth working

which is logical since most WADS require files to be properly installed on NAND to work

I guess having ingenious ideas is sometime not enough

18. nIxx

Member nIxx GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    As as i now they were trying to start the games directly from the DVD.
    So this should work like already said only DVD support is needed to insert in wadmanager

19. david432111

Denmark
    Anyone know any open source wad manager as there isn't any source for waninoko's wad manager available.

EDIT: Never mind I found the source at waninoko's site.

20. noobwarrior7

Member noobwarrior7 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    wanin's wad manager is open source...thats how we have wad manager 16 and channel manager by cashman

please do make it so we can install from dvd, that'd be primo and faster than the USB by a wiiiii bit.