Gaming Buliding a Hackintosh

science

science rules
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am relatively new to the whole Hackintosh scene, but it interests me a lot and I kind of want to make a "Hack Pro" to compliment my MacBook.

I have a general idea of what I need to do, but I just want to make sure before I buy all my components that they would be compatible. I have looked around hard to find the answers, and couldn't find too much info (other than my motherboard works, but there are a few kinks).

I currently have these items in my shopping cart at Newegg.

Motherboard
CPU
Video Card
RAM
DVD Drive
HDD
Power Supply

If anyone has any info on how compatible these components are, or can point me in the direction of where I can find the info, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, this is my first time trying to build a PC as well, so any tips on better, more compatible components would be awesome. I am trying to keep my budget around $600-$700 though.

I am also planning on shoving all this into a gutted G5 tower

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
There are more compatible motherboards than the following list, but the following is just a list of tested ones. It also tells you what version of OSX to run it and using which patch.
Latest OSX compatibility

The main site.

With similar hardware, you also get similar compatibilities.

Shoving it into a G5 tower? I would suggest against it because it is not designed for ATX form factor which would affect air flow and stability of motherboard which are both extremely important. Unless you are an expert, I would suggest to keep off from it, plus it is really painful. There are really beautiful PC cases out there.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Main things you need to be concerned about is CPU, LAN, GPU, & Audio. As long as you have SATA connections all around, those things should be the only things of worry.

So lets go one by one.

CPU: Intel i5-760. Intel cores are better for hackintoshes since OS X's native processor is Intel.

LAN: Realtek RLT8111E. Realtek site actually has full support for this LAN here. Under "Others".

GPU: nVidia GTS 450. Snow Leopard likes nVidia cards so as you can find the NVCAP value of this card and inject it as an EFI string.

Audio: ALC892. VooDooHDA may be able to enable it. Don't have the board and searches give mixed reviews.

EDIT: Wiki entry found on it: Take Westside's first link and CTRL+F: "GA-P55A-UD3". Just as a note, this is NOT an easy process. There are so many things to learned before even attempting. For example, OS X uses a GUID partition table while Windows uses MBR. These two CANNOT exist on the same HD. You must find a distro for OS X such as Hazard's SL distro for a modified installer which uses MBR.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is my hackintosh build about a year ago.. unfortunately, the important things are discontinued. It runs everything perfectly and flawlessly. The only things I do not like is the evga card it runs loud, especially with two of them. I also do not like Seagate brand HDD because of their quality lately. I also did not buy that power supply, but a Antec 620w which apparently was a rebranded Seasonic powersupply although I have some problems with it already..
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWi...Number=12547732

Everything you posted looks good, I would get a better quality power supply. You normally won't know a difference unless you see something go wrong, you get what you pay for. Also you do not want it to die and take your motherboard or other things down with it. Distros are generally not good, try avoiding them. Use a retail dvd with hackboot disc, or something similiar. Also not sure what the current status of the fermi, last I check it worked, but did not support cuda and other things. however I'm sure development is in progress.

Modifying a G5 tower are not going to be easy, I was thinking of doing it also while I was building mine. The case are also expensive if you don't have one already.

Edit: wrong link

science

science rules
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for all the good answers guys!

I asked this same question over at InsanelyMac, and got this answer

"The video card you picked is incompatible, there are no drivers for it. Only GF100 based Fermis are supported at this time.

Motherboard and CPU will be fine but you need to do some research on the on-board LAN and sound."

So it seems like my video card doesn't work, and I don't really understand what he is saying to me, I am a major noob when it comes to video cards haha.

And as per you're suggestions, I don't think I should attempt to mod it into a G5 currently. I think that might be a later project if its such a big one, seeing as I don't have much free time right now with school and everything.

EDIT: I don't need some amazing gaming card, I just really want to be able to watch streamed online videos very well (my current MacBook lags hard when I output it to an external monitor), watch HD video content without lag, and occasionally use Photoshop. I might do someeeee gaming (I haven't done any because my machine lags so hard now). So what would be a good choice for me?

EDIT EDIT: I may also consider getting two monitors, so I may also need futureproofing support for that

science

science rules
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is what I posted on InsanelyMac

QUOTE said:
Thank you for the helpful answer.

I did some research, and I think this card should be compatible

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...N82E16814130537

The HCL said GT240 1GB DDR3 cards are compatible, but made by Gainward. The wiki didn't say anything about EVGA cards.

Or would it be more worthwhile to spend a few more dollars and get this?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?...0-447-_-Product

All I want to do is stream online video without lag, watch HD video without lag, and occasionally use Photoshop and RARELY play some games. But I also don't want to get a card that will be really slow in a year from now.

One last thing... my motherboard on the HCL wiki says this:
QUOTE said:
SOUND: ALC892 the latest VoodooHDA, 0.2.62, will NOT work. no output on any port including headphones, even though console shows it working. Use 0.2.52 (included in MultiBeast) instead.
ETHERNET: RTL8111E The latest 0.67 version will NOT work-- you'll get a self-assigned IP address issue [23]. Use Lnx2Mac's Realtek RTL81xx driver [24]

So I assume these are just driver issues that I can fix, or should I get other hardware?

Thanks so much!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Lol Veho
    The Real Jdbye I am going AMD this gen still debating 7900XT or XTX
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @Psionic Roshambo i didn't go amd for one specific reason, the AI performance is way behind nvidia
    +1
    i just got a 4070ti
    oh yeah also DLSS is a pretty solid reason to go nvidia since fidelityfx is kinda crap
    and now with the rtx video upscaling, and sdr->hdr conversion, even more reason to go nvidia
    both of which work well in potplayer
    amd is a bit cheaper though
    Cheaper and they are less stingy with the RAM not a big issue now but I can imagine in a yard or two things might be different
    Year not yard lol
    the vram is one advantage when it comes to AI but ends up being slower even with that and really AI is the only use case that needs more than 12gb vram right now
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously