Building my first pc

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by gregor1997, Feb 23, 2011.

Feb 23, 2011

Building my first pc by gregor1997 at 6:11 PM (714 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. gregor1997
    OP

Newcomer gregor1997 Member

Slovenia
    Im building a gaming computer at budget 600$-700$. My question is if this computer i built any good or should I change anything?

ASUS P8H67-M
    Intel Core i5 2400
    Kingston ValueRAM 4GB
    Palit GeForce GTX 460
    Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB
    Rasurbo 550W
    Xigmatek Asgard

2. Berthenk

Member Berthenk Epitome of Awesomeness

Netherlands
    Rasurbo...? Never heard of that... you might want to change the PSU to one from a renown brand, like Cooler Master or be quiet!.

3. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    I'd suggest Vantec (Had a Vantec Stealth that lasted for 6 years or so) or Thermaltake (my new PSU, has a 5 year warranty).
    If your PSU fails it can damage your other components.

Also stay away from cheap brands like Sunbeam for ANYTHING.
    Bought a front panel USB/Sound/Card Reader/Fan Control from them that blew out part of my motherboard (thankfully only part of the onboard audio) when I plugged in a USB drive --which also blew.

4. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Be weary that the ASUS P8H67-M will almost certainly (I cba to check) be using the B2 stepping for its Intel 6 series chipset, which has a known design flaw in its SATAII controller that will degrade over time (i.e. they'll stop working after 1-3 years). As long as you're happy using only the SATA3 ports (i.e. being limited to 2 drives, presumably one of which is the DVD drive), then it's perfectly fine. EDIT: If you need more than 2 drives, then expect every drive plugged into SATAII ports to vanish sometime in the semi-distant future.

Also note that a H67 motherboard will not be able to overclock, although it will be able to use the Intel Graphics 2000 built into the Core i5, which only matters if you encounter problems with the GTX 460.

EDIT: Other than that, I see nothing wrong with the listed parts. The above posts are right to advise against cheap PSUs (which have a tendancy to blow up, literally), but the easiest way to check is to look at reviews for Rasurbo PSUs and see if anybody complains of them failing.

5. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    Like the other said, DO NOT go for cheap brands, especially on power supply. Even well known (but unreliable) brands like Ultra are not to be toyed with. I bought an Ultra power supply, burnt my motherboard, hard drive and cost me a fortune. A reliable brand is PCP&C, Silverstone, Antec and Corsair is also good.

6. gregor1997
    OP

Newcomer gregor1997 Member

Slovenia
    Is Corsair CX 600W ok? Also i dont plan on buying this computer before april so that sata error should be fixed by then. Correct me if im wrong.

7. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Based off updates I've been reading, it's not a problem that can be fixed by simply replacing the SATA controller chip (it would just cost too much for that). Instead they're going to release B3-stepping for Intel 6 series chipsets, which won't have that problem. I've heard the revised chipsets are already bring destributed to the major Intel motherboard manufacturers (MSI, Gigabyte and Asus), but there are still no reports of when to expect the revised motherboards to be released to the market.

Just check back again in April and I'll tell you if the situation changes.

Also Corsair are a very good brand, so it'll be fine.

8. Sir VG

Member Sir VG GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Hard drives are getting dirt cheap. If you can afford to bump it up a bit, do it. 2TB HDDs are at times (I picked up several on Black Friday) under $100.

9. Westside

Member Westside Sogdiana

Uzbekistan
    You also do not want to underspend on HDDs. High quality 1TB still cost $100 to this day.