Bugged up translated game (Running in Emulator)

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Shadok, May 8, 2013.

  1. Shadok
    OP

    Shadok Newbie

    Newcomer
    8
    0
    May 8, 2013
    Hey everyone,

    First up, I apologise in advance if this is in the wrong place and respectfully ask any moderator to throw this where it should be if I was wrong about placement. However since the issue is possibly relating to the emulator I'm running, I thought this may be the right place.

    I've been trying to find a way to achieve a working NES emulator on my 3DS. Eventually after more time spent than I'd admit, I settled on nesDS v1.3 (http://gbatemp.net/threads/nesds-v1-1a.325558), the newest updated emulator (and the only one which my 3DS doesn't have a fit over) [The linked page only mentiones 1.1 but looking at the recent posts yields the newest update].

    But after setting up some ROMs (and finding to my joy that most of them worked fine), this curveball arrives: picture (Sorry that I have no skill AT ALL with a camera. Hopefully it's clear enough from the picture that the writing seems to have converted into...blocks? I'm not sure what to call it. For those who've not played the game, that's the first part of the first level.) I explored around a bit, since maybe it was just something the translator couldn't fix, but the entire thing up to the first tutorial seems the same kind of weird. I had to abandon my efforts at the first battle due to an inability to understand even the combat menus.

    Since I'm not one to go running for help when I could fix it myself, I tried everything I could think of to fix the issue. I patched several different clean copies of the ROM, before wondering if the issue was the ROM itself, which I found to be true (the unpatched version is just as malformed).
    As a final resort, I downloaded and tried to use a pre-applied ROM, only to face the same thing again.

    Does anybody know what in the blazes is going on? And if so, how to fix it (If it's fixable)?

    Chip in use: R4i-SHDC 3DS
    System: 3DSXL
    Game: Fire Emblem Gaiden (NES)

    I'd like to just reassert that this is the first time this has happened on any ROM of mine. Running any other ROM, even via the emulator, yields regular gameplay.

    I had a look around, but I couldn't find any precedent for this, so I'm hoping someone may know what's going on and why.
     
  2. raulpica

    raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

    Supervisor
    11,025
    7,344
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    Might be something wrong on the patch's part. Some translator used tricks which weren't allowed on real hardware and/or are specific to certain emulators.

    If nesDS somehow doesn't emulate one of these tricks and/or does something differently than some PC emus, there's nothing to do except mailing huiminghao and ask him to add support for that translation. I'm not even sure if he's working on it anymore though...

    There might be some workarounds for this problem, tho, so it's worth to wait for someone else's opinion ;)
     
  3. Shadok
    OP

    Shadok Newbie

    Newcomer
    8
    0
    May 8, 2013
    If that's so, why is it that the same issue still emerges when using the clean ROM? I know that the ROM can work fine as people have screened it, but it seems odd that all the ones I can find all share this issue, clean or patched.
     
  4. Pong20302000

    Pong20302000 making notes on everything

    Member
    8,076
    1,932
    Sep 8, 2009
    One's inner self
    try it on a emulator with the same rom and see if you get the issue

    if no issue then its the DS Emulator
    if still issue screen shot the problem and post it on the translation for that games thread
     
  5. Shadok
    OP

    Shadok Newbie

    Newcomer
    8
    0
    May 8, 2013
    I've done so. When running on a PC emulator, the ROM operates fine, no issues at all, they speak in plain English/Japanese (Depending which ROM I use).

    So the issue must be in either the emulator or the DS's way of reading what it's being sent by the card.
     
  6. zerofalcon

    zerofalcon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

    Member
    562
    259
    Mar 14, 2009
    Somewhere close to my NES
    Change render type to "all puresoft" in display settings.. this will fix the garbled text, emulation speed will drop with that render type.
     
    Shadok likes this.
  7. Shadok
    OP

    Shadok Newbie

    Newcomer
    8
    0
    May 8, 2013
    Aaaand that fixed it. Thank you very much. ^_^