Hacking Buffer Overflow found?

Robbieiscool

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No its not the old one.

So I was on mario wiki on the paper mario TTYD page and I shut it clicked on a link a bunch of times and it froze and took me to the home menu saying I needed to save any open games and reset the system. I tried multiple times and the same thing happened so should work on your 3DS browsers aswell.
Im not sure if it helps for the whole hacking thing but just thought I should post.
Heres the link to the TTYD page: http://www.mariowiki.com/Paper_Mario:_The_Thousand-Year_Door
Now scroll down to Chapter 4: For pigs the Bell Tolls open and shut your 3DS and click the name Darkly thats in blue letters a bunch of times and it should work.
Bye!

Reactions: 1 person

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
I don't think Nintendo would let anyone hack them twice with the same method

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I smell a flame storm brewing... i shall help you save yourself from being attacked by the horrifying temphounds from hell. Like they stated, not a buffer overflow, just a simple little crash im guessing. Now lets go find a mod *pulls away as the tempers come with flaming words*

Reactions: 1 person

xblackdemonx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No its not the old one.

So I was on mario wiki on the paper mario TTYD page and I shut it clicked on a link a bunch of times and it froze and took me to the home menu saying I needed to save any open games and reset the system. I tried multiple times and the same thing happened so should work on your 3DS browsers aswell.
Im not sure if it helps for the whole hacking thing but just thought I should post.
Heres the link to the TTYD page: http://www.mariowiki...usand-Year_Door
Now scroll down to Chapter 4: For pigs the Bell Tolls open and shut your 3DS and click the name Darkly thats in blue letters a bunch of times and it should work.
Bye!

R U FKING KIDDING US ?!

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I smell a flame storm brewing... i shall help you save yourself from being attacked by the horrifying temphounds from hell. Like they stated, not a buffer overflow, just a simple little crash im guessing. Now lets go find a mod *pulls away as the tempers come with flaming words*

Just because someone is wrong or people don't like his theory doesn't mean people will flame him, I doubt anyone would care if they get flamed from simple minded people. He took the time to make a post with something he thought might help the community. Although he could have used the 3ds hacking thread but that's not the point.

If every idea was shot down and people flamed for making a mistake we would never get anywhere.

How dare the OP make a post where he was wrong, OFF WITH HIS HEAD.

DJ91990

Grookey Gang!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Just because the internet browser crashes does not mean that you caused a buffer overflow.
The Nintendo 3DS browser is a broken piece of crap that oftentimes fails to open web pages because they have too much content on one page.
I have had my web browser on the 3DS crash a couple of times myself. Nintendo's R&D team could easily fix the internet browser but they are too focused on blocking homebrew-enabling flashcards to give a ****.

You can't find a buffer overflow just by crashing a program or game, you would need to have disassembled your 3DS down to it's mainboard and then hardwired some sort of sniffing hardware to it so you could actively track what is going on in memory on the 3DS. I doubt you even did that.

I bet you are one of those people that think you could hack the 3DS with New Super Mario Brothers by ejecting the DS game cart and pressing a button combination to open the Crash Information. Give me a break.

keytotheheart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No matter whether or not this buffer overflow is real or not, it will not get us anywhere closer to seeing an exploit for the Nintendo 3DS. See, the Internet Browser built into the Nintendo 3DS runs in a sandbox mode, which disallows any kind of modifications (or changes) to the main system/filesystem (a la the NAND) making this buffer overflow only crash the Internet Browser. The only peculiar thing about this is that Nintendo patched this exploit in 4.2.0-9, but it seems a whole different buffer was found and able to cause a crash. Another thing that also proves this worthless is that if you eject the SD card, the Nintendo 3DS will immediately work again in most cases, if not all, so this mostly will do nothing but prove one thing, which disproves the theory that Nintendo patched the buffer overflow exploit found in previous versions of the Nintendo 3DS firmware. 4.2.0-9 seems to only patch the original site used to demonstrate a buffer overflow exploit on the Nintendo 3DS, though now it seems another was found.

Thank you anyway though for the find, a tip though is not to post anything regarding the Internet Browser as it will probably not lead to an exploit due to a sandbox mode, which prevents exploits being used. Also, sorry if this all sounded rude. I was just trying to inform the topic creator and the posters on what this is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I could claw back 14tb by only doing 2 parity disks but I feel like with 13 disks in the RAID...