Buffer Overflow found?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Robbieiscool, Jul 13, 2012.

Jul 13, 2012

Buffer Overflow found? by Robbieiscool at 8:44 PM (2,887 Views / 1 Likes) 15 replies

1. Robbieiscool
    OP

Newcomer Robbieiscool Member

United States
    No its not the old one.

So I was on mario wiki on the paper mario TTYD page and I shut it clicked on a link a bunch of times and it froze and took me to the home menu saying I needed to save any open games and reset the system. I tried multiple times and the same thing happened so should work on your 3DS browsers aswell.
    Im not sure if it helps for the whole hacking thing but just thought I should post.
    Heres the link to the TTYD page: http://www.mariowiki.com/Paper_Mario:_The_Thousand-Year_Door
    Now scroll down to Chapter 4: For pigs the Bell Tolls open and shut your 3DS and click the name Darkly thats in blue letters a bunch of times and it should work.
    Bye!

1 person likes this.
  2. pyromaniac123

Member pyromaniac123 ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

United Kingdom
    Not an exploit.

2 people like this.
  3. Luigi2012SM64DS

Banned Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Canada
    nopes.avi not a one word post.

4. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    I dont think you know what a buffer overflow is...

2 people like this.
  5. synce

Member synce だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん

United States
    I don't think Nintendo would let anyone hack them twice with the same method

6. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Good luck sir

7. hatredg0d

Member hatredg0d GBAtemp Regular

United States
    good job overflowing your buffers!

1 person likes this.
  8. chavosaur

Reporter chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip
    United States
    I smell a flame storm brewing... i shall help you save yourself from being attacked by the horrifying temphounds from hell. Like they stated, not a buffer overflow, just a simple little crash im guessing. Now lets go find a mod *pulls away as the tempers come with flaming words*

1 person likes this.
  9. xblackdemonx

Newcomer xblackdemonx Member

Canada
    R U FKING KIDDING US ?!

10. thegame07

Member thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Just because someone is wrong or people don't like his theory doesn't mean people will flame him, I doubt anyone would care if they get flamed from simple minded people. He took the time to make a post with something he thought might help the community. Although he could have used the 3ds hacking thread but that's not the point.

If every idea was shot down and people flamed for making a mistake we would never get anywhere.

How dare the OP make a post where he was wrong, OFF WITH HIS HEAD.

11. Fear Zoa

Member Fear Zoa This... This is the world we live in

United States
    You know one time I was on chrome and it crashed, its probably a buffer overflow. Maybe I can hack Google with it.

2 people like this.
  12. DJ91990

Member DJ91990 Dark-Type Trainer

United States
    Just because the internet browser crashes does not mean that you caused a buffer overflow.
    The Nintendo 3DS browser is a broken piece of crap that oftentimes fails to open web pages because they have too much content on one page.
    I have had my web browser on the 3DS crash a couple of times myself. Nintendo's R&D team could easily fix the internet browser but they are too focused on blocking homebrew-enabling flashcards to give a ****.

You can't find a buffer overflow just by crashing a program or game, you would need to have disassembled your 3DS down to it's mainboard and then hardwired some sort of sniffing hardware to it so you could actively track what is going on in memory on the 3DS. I doubt you even did that.

I bet you are one of those people that think you could hack the 3DS with New Super Mario Brothers by ejecting the DS game cart and pressing a button combination to open the Crash Information. Give me a break.

13. Luigi2012SM64DS

Banned Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Canada
    inb4 close.
    stop!

14. bowser

Member bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

India
    You really should stop looking for buffer overflows and just enjoy your 3DS.

3 people like this.
  15. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    The 3DS web browser is sandboxed as it is, this wouldn't lead to anything.

16. pyromaniac123
    This message by pyromaniac123 has been removed from public view by raulpica, Dec 10, 2012, Reason: lolgtfo -rp.
    Jul 14, 2012
  17. keytotheheart

Newcomer keytotheheart Newbie

United States
    No matter whether or not this buffer overflow is real or not, it will not get us anywhere closer to seeing an exploit for the Nintendo 3DS. See, the Internet Browser built into the Nintendo 3DS runs in a sandbox mode, which disallows any kind of modifications (or changes) to the main system/filesystem (a la the NAND) making this buffer overflow only crash the Internet Browser. The only peculiar thing about this is that Nintendo patched this exploit in 4.2.0-9, but it seems a whole different buffer was found and able to cause a crash. Another thing that also proves this worthless is that if you eject the SD card, the Nintendo 3DS will immediately work again in most cases, if not all, so this mostly will do nothing but prove one thing, which disproves the theory that Nintendo patched the buffer overflow exploit found in previous versions of the Nintendo 3DS firmware. 4.2.0-9 seems to only patch the original site used to demonstrate a buffer overflow exploit on the Nintendo 3DS, though now it seems another was found.

Thank you anyway though for the find, a tip though is not to post anything regarding the Internet Browser as it will probably not lead to an exploit due to a sandbox mode, which prevents exploits being used. Also, sorry if this all sounded rude. I was just trying to inform the topic creator and the posters on what this is.