Hacking Bricked booting atmosphere first time?

ElonStark

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure what happened, but I seem to have bricked my switch booting to Atmosphere for the first time. I followed the instructions here: https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/user_guide/emummc/making_emummc/ to install Atmosphere on emuMMC. Everything seemed to be going fine. To start I entered rcm and backed up my NAND and keys first thing. Then I created a partition for emuMMC, added some stuff to the Nintendo folder, and tried to launch into Atmosphere for the first time. When I pressed launch in hekate, the it started to load something then just died. It won't power on now. Is there anything I can do? I don't understand what could have happened. The only issue I can think of is I forgot to download the exfat partition update before creating emuMMC, so booted back to stock, downloaded that update, then tried to boot my emuMMC. I guess that update would not have been installed on that emuMMC. But still I don't understand how that could brick it. Is there anything that can be done?

EDIT: I hardbooted and it is back. So followup questions: Once I recover from this heart attack, is there a way to figure out what is causing that crash? I'm now super nervous to try again. And should I go ahead and redo the emuMMC creation and sysNAND backups after I installed the exfat update?

Last edited by ElonStark,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure what happened, but I seem to have bricked my switch booting to Atmosphere for the first time. I followed the instructions here: https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/user_guide/emummc/making_emummc/ to install Atmosphere on emuMMC. Everything seemed to be going fine. To start I entered rcm and backed up my NAND and keys first thing. Then I created a partition for emuMMC, added some stuff to the Nintendo folder, and tried to launch into Atmosphere for the first time. When I pressed launch in hekate, the it started to load something then just died. It won't power on now. Is there anything I can do? I don't understand what could have happened. The only issue I can think of is I forgot to download the exfat partition update before creating emuMMC, so booted back to stock, downloaded that update, then tried to boot my emuMMC. I guess that update would not have been installed on that emuMMC. But still I don't understand how that could brick it. Is there anything that can be done?

EDIT: I hardbooted and it is back. So followup questions: Once I recover from this heart attack, is there a way to figure out what is causing that crash? I'm now super nervous to try again. And should I go ahead and redo the emuMMC creation and sysNAND backups after I installed the exfat update?
Just use FAT32. There is no reason to use exFAT on the Switch.

LeoLeoSuper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have a windows computer and your SD card is larger than 32 GB (I'm guessing it is), you need a third party program to reformat it to be bigger than 32 GB on FAT32. FAT32 should support up to 2 TB. exFAT Switch drivers are shit, and some (mostly pirated) game bugs will wipe your SD card if you use exFAT. The Pokemon Sword and Shield bug wipes SD cards due to bad drivers on the Switch.

ElonStark

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have a windows computer and your SD card is larger than 32 GB (I'm guessing it is), you need a third party program to reformat it to be bigger than 32 GB on FAT32. FAT32 should support up to 2 TB. exFAT Switch drivers are shit, and some (mostly pirated) game bugs will wipe your SD card if you use exFAT. The Pokemon Sword and Shield bug wipes SD cards due to bad drivers on the Switch.

So if I reformat to FAT32, can I just copy the files over to my HDD and then back onto the reformatted partition? Will it mess up how the eMMC data is stored?

LeoLeoSuper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if I reformat to FAT32, can I just copy the files over to my HDD and then back onto the reformatted partition? Will it mess up how the eMMC data is stored?
You can't see the data in the EMUmmc on windows. I could on my Raspberry pi, but that's a Linux distro. It's stored in a different format than FAT32.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I haven't played my Switch n a month or so, just been playing Xbox, and just picked to play lil...