OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.crazyska.com
XP
Country
United States
I have a wii now but I want to get a 2nd one to keep on hand incase something happens with my used wii. Question is are the new wii's able to be put the soft mod on? if not can you back the firmware down? What version Wii's are being sold?

I guess I just want to make sure if I get a new wii that I will still be able to run my homebrew app's on it as well as my super nintendo emulator lol.

Thanks

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
new wii's are softmoddable (ModMii FTW)....don't downgrade them beyond 4.0 though (downgrading is pointless though)

all new wiis ship with 4.3, so have a exploit game available to install HBC

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Newer Wiis won't be able to install Bootmii as bootv2 (which is the safest way to protect you from a brick, with any other protection like Priiloader or Bootmii as an IOS, you might need an infectus, some soldering skills and an backup in the worst case to save your Wii). DVDs won't work on newer Wiis, doesn't matter if burned or retail movies (so no burned Wii-Games or GC-Games). Besides that, everything else (like USB-Loading) will work. And you'll need a game to mod the Wii (Super Smash Bros, Indiana Jones, etc., see ModMii for Infos).

http://gbatemp.net/t207126-modmii-for-windows

M1r0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can install priiloader for bannerbrick protection (and just don't mess with the system menu/system menu IOS), but it's obviously not as good as bootmii/boot2.

CrazySka

The Original Ska
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.crazyska.com
XP
Country
United States
Say I want to find a older wii that will play DVD's What do I need to look for? Like if I get one of ebay or craigslist? Im new to this all so im just curious what I need to look for and where to look for it, or how to tell the person im buying it from to look for it at.

Thanks

-Ska

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its the dvd drive that prevents you from runing burned discs ,you have 2 options
1 buy a whole ne dvd drive ,it has to be a non d2-e or d2-3 drive,there about $40
or 2 instead of buying a whole new dvd drive(which i think would be easier,and not much more expensie)you could buy the mother board from an old wii dvd drive that is compatable with burned discs
there sold online for about 30 or 25 $,then you would just swap out the motherboard from your dvd drive with that one,i never did it so i cant really say how much harder it is than just replacing the whole drive

also someone mentioned infectus,what is that? a mod chip that makes a copy of your nand?kinda like a nor/nand flasher? and if you were to use that to unbrick your wii ,would it only help you if you had it installed before you brick your wii and had a nand backup made before you bricked?

also what about those unbrick any wii discs i see being sold? do they only work if your wii has bootmi installed as boot2?

also what is that chip that that is supposed to unbrick your wii that i saw in a video by marcan,i think ts called savemii, and its a usb dongle,how does that work? and would it also require bootmii installed as boot2?

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
totalnoob617 said:
also someone mentioned infectus,what is that? a mod chip that makes a copy of your nand?kinda like a nor/nand flasher? and if you were to use that to unbrick your wii ,would it only help you if you had it installed before you brick your wii and had a nand backup made before you bricked?
It's a NAND flasher. If you have a bootmii dump from the wii, or the wii is bootmii/boot2 capable (but bootmii isn't installed), you can unbrick with it. It does not need to be installed before bricking, and installation is not easy.

totalnoob617 said:
also what about those unbrick any wii discs i see being sold? do they only work if your wii has bootmi installed as boot2?
Those are junk. They're typically just a system update on a DVD-R. They won't work on wiis that don't have a working system menu or wiis that are up to date.

On wiis that have a working system menu, they'll need a patched system menu IOS and a modchip.

QUOTE(totalnoob617 @ Apr 11 2011, 12:42 PM)
also what is that chip that that is supposed to unbrick your wii that i saw in a video by marcan,i think ts called savemii, and its a usb dongle,how does that work? and would it also require bootmii installed as boot2?
Savemii just puts you in the recovery mode so you can launch autoboot discs. It does the same as "savemiifrii" (holding down all 4 D-pad buttons on a GC controller connected to port 4 during boot). Savemii came out before the GC controller method was discovered.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs