Braindump not working since luma 8.0

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by DoArt, Jun 11, 2017.

1. DoArt
    OP

DoArt Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2016
    United States
    So, when I open the homebrew menu, it opens like normal, then I go straight to braindump, it works but I cannot pick which title I want to dump. Then if I open pokemon moon and the rosalina menu to "switch the hb title to current app" it causes homebrew menu to open through an otherapp payload and braindump doesn't open, just red screen and back to hb. All i'm trying to do is extract romfs stuff for texture hacking. Is this way obsolete now? If so, how should I go about doing this? Thanks in advance.

2. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Yep, Braindump has always been the worst option due to producing bad CXIs (wrong exheader)
    Decrypt9 can dump proper cias (from which you can extract cxi and thus romfs); but even better, with Godmode9 you can directly extract the romfs/exefs only, if that's all you need

3. DoArt
    OP

DoArt Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2016
    United States
    Ah, ok. Thanks a lot. Could not get a straight answer out of google for whether or not godmode could do this. And it can extract romfs/exefs from cias that i have installed correct?

Last edited by DoArt, Jun 11, 2017
  4. bennyman123abc

bennyman123abc Master of the Script Kiddies

Mar 21, 2013
    United States
    Training some more Script Kiddies
    Can't run Decrypt9 in Luma3DS 8.0. The 3DSX version requires the *hax payload to be running and the Luma chainloader is broken. Unless we get a CIA version of Decrypt9, there is no way we can run it.

5. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Yep: select the A:/ drive (representing the correct subfolder of "Nintendo 3DS"), navigate to the folders matching the titleid of the application of interest, find the largest .app file (the encrypted cxi), and you'll have the option of mounting it to a virtual drive, which [also] contains exefs and romfs

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

It's foolish to use .3dsx versions of arm9 homebrews... if you're on A9LH, use the .bin build and if on sighax the .firm version!

DoArt likes this.
  6. bennyman123abc

Mar 21, 2013
    United States
    Can't run the .FIRM version as just stated. Not until Luma3DS updates again

7. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    You're not forced to go through Luma's chainloader, AFAIK

8. DoArt
    OP

DoArt Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2016
    United States
    appreciate it

Last edited by DoArt, Jun 11, 2017
  9. bennyman123abc

Mar 21, 2013
    United States
    Tru. Didn't think about that. Sure, it'll be a pain in the ass but, fair enough.