Hacking botched up a softmodded wii

blk_2sday

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its 2018... i already have done some modding this year and revisited some old consoles (Henkaku 3.65 vita, switch running 5.1.0 and hekatmosphere, found my old cycloDS cart, added things)
anyway, i found a wii in my garage that a roommate left behind and i decided to do the letterbomb exploit method to install homebrew channel and i ended up using a SD card from my first modded wii (modded 3 others with great success but back in 2011) First thing i did is check to see if there were any updated versions of anything i used on the first wii before passing anything over to the wii, updated only the ones i was going to use (UsbLoaderGx, d2x, MMM and such. but honestly there are too many methods and even more outdated guides. i went with the one i knew how to do which goes in this order i believe:

-Letterbomb
-Homebrew Channel
-Priiloader
-Added a folder with old apps and a bunch of WADs i dont think i need
-D2x cios installer

this is where the problems started.
first i tried looking for my newest cios (v10 beta52) didn't show up
shut down the wii normally, it hangs.
i take the SD card out and take my cios's and make individual folders for them and place them on the base of the SD
now i see them showing up as options.

i installed d2x-v10-beta52
base 56
slot 249
revision? (i think i chose the first option)
installs successfully

i go to the next base and slot (base 57/slot 250) with the same v10-beta52 to install
it tries to download official ios 57, fails.

so i try to put that official ios i manually downloaded from my PC and place it on the base of the SD.
it doesn't find it in D2x so i said screw it.

i still tried to run homebrew. most homebrew works the only issue i see is when i used WAD games (Super Mario 64 and F-Zero X were the only ones i tried) they would start up normal, ask for classic controller (i used official gamecube controller) i press A, i get the first 10 seconds of F zero X to go, Hangs.
Super Mario 64? i get to start the game, load file 1 (new game) i get to peach's intro, Hangs.

All i want to do now is either fix it up to get it playing my WADs and MAYBE backups or undo it all and start fresh with Modmii (which i hear is the bees knees when it comes to wii softmodding. Anybody have suggestions?

blk_2sday

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i've been working on this pretty much all afternoon and i still cant get my WADs to play. nothing has changed but i have to say that program of @XFlak. Dope. its so good and it really is super easy to do what you have to but i still couldn't get it to download IOS57-64-v5918.wad (did a search and found it) that was holding me back from installing D2x v10-beta52 on base ios57/slot 250 now that i finally got that done, i tried to use all the other things that the program installed on the SD. all of it works, just can't get those WADs to play. i included a syscheck of my console for verification.

sysCheck v2.1.0b19 by Double_A and R2-D2199 Nano
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v513)
Priiloader installed
Could not detect the drive date! (assuming its the DVD drive, I removed it to make space for a internal hard drive i plan to wire straight to the USB port)
Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS58
HomebrewFilter ist nicht installiert
Hollywood v0x21
Console ID: 134716564
Boot2 v4
Found 84 titles.
Found 55 IOS on this console. 4 of them are stub.

IOS3 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1034): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug NAND Access
IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug ES Identify Flash Access NAND Access
IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug NAND Access
IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug NAND Access
IOS31 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug NAND Access
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug NAND Access
IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug NAND Access
IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS62 (rev 6430): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug NAND Access
IOS80 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug NAND Access
IOS90 (rev 54321): Trucha Bug
IOS202[60] (rev 65535 Info: hermesrodries-v6): Trucha Bug NAND Access USB 2.0
IOS222[38] (rev 4 Info: hermes-v4): Trucha Bug ES Identify NAND Access USB 2.0
IOS223[38+37] (rev 4 Info: hermes-v4): Trucha Bug ES Identify NAND Access USB 2.0
IOS224[57] (rev 65535 Info: hermesrodries-v6): Trucha Bug NAND Access USB 2.0
IOS236[36] (rev 65535 Info: rev 3351): Trucha Bug ES Identify NAND Access
IOS245[37] (rev 21008 Info: d2x-v8final): Trucha Bug NAND Access USB 2.0
IOS246[38] (rev 21008 Info: d2x-v8final): Trucha Bug ES Identify NAND Access
IOS247[53] (rev 21008 Info: d2x-v8final): Trucha Bug NAND Access USB 2.0
IOS248[55] (rev 21008 Info: d2x-v8final): Trucha Bug NAND Access USB 2.0
IOS249[56] (rev 65535 Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug NAND Access USB 2.0
IOS250[57] (rev 65535 Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug NAND Access USB 2.0
IOS251[58] (rev 65535 Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug NAND Access USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v10

will i ever get to nostalgia it out on my wii or am i gonna have to get back on my switch to potentially get banned for running emulators...:yayswitch:

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Could be bad wads. Could have something to do with your disconnected disc drive, I recall possibly hearing something similar way back when that turned out to be the case. I could be mistaken though, but if you're able to reconnect it and see if it makes a difference that would be interesting.

blk_2sday

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll give it a try when I wake up, also thanks again for the modmii program. it really is a wonder

Sent from my portable computing device from a underdeveloped country.

Griffballchamp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
VBAGX and HUGOGX CHANNEL FORWARDER HELP??

when i click on the channel and hit start, they load up and than kick back out to wii menu. if go to the emulators thru the homebrew channel they work fine.

advice?

I even installed the vbagx through homebrew channel and it still does it. The turbografx channel says I need to place boot.dol in the hugo gx folder? hugo gx does have a boot.dol and the channel is a .wad so i cant put anything in it. Should i place the .wad in the hugo gx apps folder?

blk_2sday

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@blk_2sday Unless your doing some LayeredFS stuff or you're doing something else known to ban people, you should be fine. I haven't had heard anyone getting banned for running basic homebrew like emulators.

according to the Nintendo Switch Banning Hub, there have been people reporting getting restricted from online services from simply running homebrew. i haven't been (yet) and i've done a little more than just playing emulators (mario kart 8 online while running CFW since april almost daily)

back on topic
the WADs were not the problem, dropped the DVD drive back into the wii, everything works now. hype very much i am.
however i'm a stickler for my choice to want to run a internal hard drive in my wii, so i will be experimenting on removing the logic board off the DVD drive and trying again to see if it will work without the DVD drive installed.
once again, Props to @XFlak for providing the program and pointing me in the right direction

Mods, do what you will with this thread.

Reactions: XFlak

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
I've definitely heard of people successfully replacing the DVD drive for a hard drive. I wonder if @DeadlyFoez or someone else has any insights they can share
@blk_2sday You don't even need the dvd drive at all anymore. No need for the logic board either. Head over to bitbuilt.net and you will find a download to a bunch of IOS's that have had the dvd drive completely removed from them so then you can launch your games. I discovered this site a few months back., I don't have a direct link to the zip file though.

Edit: Go here-> https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?pages/portablizemii/
You may have to register.

@XFlak I think this would be a good addition to modmii, making it so people can make IOS's that don't need the dvd drive at all.

Last edited by DeadlyFoez,
Reactions: blk_2sday and XFlak

blk_2sday

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@blk_2sday You don't even need the dvd drive at all anymore. No need for the logic board either. Head over to bitbuilt.net and you will find a download to a bunch of IOS's that have had the dvd drive completely removed from them so then you can launch your games. I discovered this site a few months back., I don't have a direct link to the zip file though.

Edit: Go here-> https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?pages/portablizemii/
You may have to register.

@XFlak I think this would be a good addition to modmii, making it so people can make IOS's that don't need the dvd drive at all.

i've pondered this for some time (especially since i watched this video recently
)
it honestly inspired me to pick up that wii and fiddle with it, i appreciate the suggestion.

now though, i have run into another issue that involves the emunand, showmiiwads/nand and my usb device.
i tried to make the emunand for the USB, ended up making it for my tiny 2gb SD and on top of that, it didn't even end up in my nand folder (no big deal, just move it into nand right?) so this is where it got interesting(mind you i did this all in showmiiwads), i loaded up USB loader GX, starts fine. i chose emunand category (since i don't currently have backups), it shows that i have 3 copies of everything i had in my nand (i assumed it would of been because there once was games on my original nand or perhaps still are there) but neek2o also shows up as a channel and apparently Korean Wii channels i never downloaded (i'm running 4.3U) so i guess my questions are,

how do i properly install my WADs to Emunand on USB drive so USB Loader GX can read them properly?

did i create my emunand correctly? (used USB Loader GX to do it, moved the folder it created on SD to USB device)

showmiiwads/nand is amazing from the little of it i understand, i followed a tutorial that @XFlak chimed in on back in 2012 lol and it shows me the target of each of my WADs which is how i identified that the nand folder i created didn't contain the WADs (usb:/ticket/0010001 is where i found them)
but still cant get it to work 100% (some channels show up without images on USB compared to how it worked when installed to original nand)

how do i use showmiiwads/nand to correct that issue or should i just go looking for other WADs?

blk_2sday

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
did i create my emunand correctly? (used USB Loader GX to do it, moved the folder it created on SD to USB device)
/QUOTE]

I mentioned that I did that. however it writes that to SD instead of USB

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Try having modmii build your nand. Once it's built and working you can copy it to/from SD and USB. Only other files you'll need to change are sneek related files depending on which version of neek u want to run, but that may not even come into play when launching via USB loader gx

Also, you may want to boot the nand up using neek so it 'expands' the file system.

Alternatively you could make a nand backup and unpack it. Sometimes emunands created this way are slow and clunky though

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If it's writing to SD then you have your NAND channel emu path set to SD. Make a NAND folder on your USB drive and change the custom path to point to it.

blk_2sday

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's writing to SD then you have your NAND channel emu path set to SD. Make a NAND folder on your USB drive and change the custom path to point to it.
I wish I could do remote assistance with a capture card attached to the Wii so you can see what I'm talking about.

I know about setting USB loaderGX to do everything your saying but if USB loaderGX did it properly, I wouldn't be here looking for help.
I'm just gonna copy all the content from my USB drive to my PC (for comparison), format it and try again with Modmii. I'll see what the results are after running Modmii vs what was in the USB drive

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I mean is that GX's built in dumper should be dumping it to whatever you have "Nand Emu Channel Path" set to in the Custom Paths settings. If the Features>Dump NAND function is dumping it to SD then either you have that path set to SD or the loader isn't seeing your hard drive.

As for duplicate channels, you probably have both real NAND and emuNAND sources turned on in the loader mode settings (4th button on toolbar.) You can also hide specific channels you don't want by making a "Hidden" category and putting them in it. Channels with no banners generally means the banner is bad.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back