bootMii and news/forecast channel problem

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by zelda8822, May 19, 2010.

May 19, 2010
  1. zelda8822
    OP

Newcomer zelda8822 Member

United States
    Hello,

I searched for answers to my questions but couldn't find anything.

I have a Wii from launch day, which has HBC installed and a wii key 2 installed. I followed the guides carefully to install the HBC and to update my wii to 4.2.

1) Everything has worked fine except for the news and forecast channel. (Check mii out channel , back-up discs, etc. all work fine). Both channels seem to retrieve the correct weather/news, but a few seconds after I enter the channel, it says something like "Forecast Channel system menu file is corrupt. Returning to Wii menu". I read somewhere that sending your Wii a message from e-mail would fix this, but this did nothing for me. Anyone have some advice?

2) I had bootMii installed as boot2 and iti used to autoboot when my Wii started up, but I accidentally hit the Wii system update recently. At first I thought it wouldn't be a big deal since I was already on 4.2 but once I saw that it it started updating, I got worried and shut off my Wii before it could finish.

After this, everything still seems to work fine except that bootMii no longer autoboots. I tried using the bootmii configuration edititor to see if it changed anything, but it didn't. I then installed priiloader from the HBC and tried loading bootMii from there but it didn't work since I didn't have it installed as IOS.(it also seemed to freeze the prii loader, but after I restarted Priiloader was functioning fine). I also tried removing priiloader, but it failed.

The bootMii folder, as well as "armboot.bin", "ppcboot.elf", and "bootmii.ini are still on my SD card.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The news/forecast channel problem occured before the bootMii problem, so I think these are two isolated issues.

Thanks

2. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    run the hackmii installer and install bootmii at boot2 again

3. Helsionium

Member Helsionium Alpha and Omega

Austria
    For the channel problems try reinstalling/updating the news and forecast channels with DOP-Mii.

4. zelda8822
    OP

United States
    Much thanks to both of you! I got bootMii to autboot, and the news/weather channel working again. In case others have the same problem in the future, I'll write out how to use DOP-Mii v12 to reinstall channels:

1) Load DopMii from HBC
    2) Select the first option, choosing the IOS you used for softmodding (in my case it was IOS 249)
    3) Choose channels--> pick the channel you want to install--> verify the region of your Wii
    4) Hit (+) to start installation and choose "Download from NUS" if your Wii is connected to the internet.

5. jelmew

Member jelmew GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    You interrupted the boot2v4 update. You're extremely lucky to have a still functioning wii. the bootmii sector became scrambled, but somehow one older boot version survived and your wii still worked. Out of 3 boot sectors, one is bootmii and the other two are non-modified. Is it an idea to update to boot2v4 incase one of the non-modified boot sectors is scrambled? You can simply reinstall bootmi afterwards.

6. zelda8822
    OP

United States
    Sorry, I'm still a bit new to modifying my wii. I think I get what you said, but just want to verify. The wii has 3 boot sectors, one of which is currently bootMii and 2 non-modifed ones. One of the non-modified ones might be what got scrambled, soo I may want to update to boot2v4, then reinstall bootmii?

At the time I posted my last comment, everything was working fine on Wii menu 4.2; bootMii was loading on startup and the weather channel was working fine. However, you may be right about the non-modifed sector being scrambled. Recently (around the time Nintendo sent out the menu 4.3 update message), the weather channel stopped working again. First, I tried using DOP-Mii to fix the problem again by installing the weather channel. It said the weather channel was installed gets stuck during:

"Starting Installation of 00010002-48414645
    Installing............-",
    with the spinning "-" stuck under the o in of.

I left it at this screen for a while before I turned it off with the power button. I tried uninstalling the weather channel, then installing it again, but the same problem persists. As of now, the Weather, News, Shopping, Nintendo, Mii, and Internet channels do not work. They seem to "half load", like the shopping channel interface comes up with 2 buttons but no text.

How would I go about updating to boot2v4 and reinstalling bootMii? Can I still do that since 4.3 is now out?

[p.s. I did not update at all to menu 4.3 I only received the message from Nintendo]

7. zelda8822
    OP

United States
    I'm looking through the contents of my SD card and found a folder named 00010002 with another folder named 48414645. Could deleting the nus folder cause any problems? I'm wondering if i should delete the nus folder and then try reinstalling...

8. Paah

Newcomer Paah Member

Finland
    That's just something you shouldn't ever do.. Interrupting a firmware update...
    No matter if it is a Wii.. Computer.. Cellphone.. DON'T INTERRUPT FIRMWARE UPDATES!

9. Lexip;

Member Lexip; GBAtemp Fan

United States
    You're just asking for trouble

10. bwillb

Member bwillb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    yeah... I'd say interrupting a firmware update is akin to a surgeon stitching up a heart transplant patient before putting the new heart in rofl

11. zelda8822
    OP

United States
    I'll just restore the system menu with BootMii, but before I do how much will it restore? i.e. Will it restore save data for Wii games back to what they were during the BootMii backup?

12. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States