Boot-up question for SKY3DS users

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by thebestdogs, Apr 3, 2015.

1. thebestdogs
    OP

thebestdogs Member

Newcomer
    Mar 30, 2015
    United States
    From the website's installation instruction,
    Does this needs to be done more than once, such as every time the 3ds is turned on (from being completely powered off)? I really hope not.

2. Oishikatta

Oishikatta GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 30, 2014
    United States
    I've never had to do that, but I only use sky for CN and simply redo the QR code when the save doesn't show up.

3. Chaldron

Chaldron GBATemp's Official Attorney

Mar 29, 2013
    United States
    `Murica
    This is for when you want to force loading the EEPROM from the SD Card. Normally, if you shut off the system without changing games, the EEPROM remains intact, and the save data is not transferred to the SD. If you took the SD out then and put it into the computer, you couldn't backup the save you just did, because it's on an older save (ie the EEPROM was not written to the SD). This process you mentioned in your post simply forces the Sky3DS to reload the EEPROM contents from the SD Card. I've personally never even had to do it, because the process is only for specific uses. You can write ROMs, do saving, all the stuff normally without using this process.

4. thebestdogs
    OP

thebestdogs Member

Newcomer
    Mar 30, 2015
    United States
    Ok thanks for clearing that up. The reason I skipped on gateway is because of all the upkeep it seems to need. For example one of you mentioned saves not showing up so I guess that is why backups are needed. I'd much rather just play the games and not have to worry about backups or staring at a ubisoft logo every day. Sky3ds for me.

5. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    if your using a flashcart then you need to always keep your saves backed up.

6. thebestdogs
    OP

thebestdogs Member

Newcomer
    Mar 30, 2015
    United States
    What for? Sorry, I don't fully know how these things work.

7. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    Because nothing in this world is perfect.

8. thebestdogs
    OP

thebestdogs Member

Newcomer
    Mar 30, 2015
    United States
    You are saying that sky occasionally corrupts the saves?

9. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    There is a chance for everything. Even a chance for the cart to stop working.

Have you never used a flashcart before? Always keep your stuff backed up

10. thebestdogs
    OP

thebestdogs Member

Newcomer
    Mar 30, 2015
    United States
    It's a bit expensive so I'd hope not. If it breaks any time soon, I won't bother replacing something of such bad quality.

11. tekwarfare

tekwarfare GBAtemp Regular

Mar 2, 2015

So do you need to change games after playing for EEPROM-YES games to save to the SD card? Can you save your game in-game and turn the console off then change games on next boot up to save the gamesave to the SD card?
    What about EEPROM-NO games?

12. Chaldron

Mar 29, 2013
    United States
    `Murica

After saving, I believe it's okay to turn off the system without changing games because the EEPROM on the chip still is emulating the game, and thus the save. I'm not 100% sure though, as I usually just tap the button once after saving before turning off to be safe.

tekwarfare likes this.
  13. tekwarfare

Mar 2, 2015

Thanks. What's your experience with EEPROM-NO and EEPROM-YES games?

14. Chaldron

Mar 29, 2013
    United States
    `Murica

I think all my games are EEPROM-YES according to DiskWriter, so that's the only thing I have experience with. I assume EEPROM-NO games would write directly to the SD Card, but don't quote me on it.

tekwarfare likes this.
  15. tekwarfare

Mar 2, 2015

Thanks for your help. Have you had any trouble backing up game saves and restoring them?

16. Chaldron

Mar 29, 2013
    United States
    `Murica

I haven't encountered any issue backing up or restoring saves, and the DiskWriter makes it very easy to do. However, note that you can't restore Gateway saves downloaded from the Internet unfortunately.

tekwarfare likes this.