Homebrew boot+start does nothing?

ecletico

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hi, guys. I picked up my 2ds (which I hadn't done in a while) and I noticed that luma auto-update wasn't working. I also noticed that the update of FBI wasn't working. And I also noticed that when I tried to boot+start that only the normal 3ds menu appeared. Everything was fine before. To try to fix it I followed the guide to update B9S, but once I get to the step "launch Luma3DS chainloader menu by holding (Start) during boot" still nothing loads (just the normal menu). I'm at Luma 7.1 and I have B9S. I'm at a loss to fix this.

ecletico

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
GodMode9 and SafeB9SInstaller. Both with the firm designation.

I will try to format the card using the programs you indicated and post back the results.

VenomSWR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
No need to format the card for now... Do you have pin code enabled ? Or a splash screen ?

BTW, FBI and Luma still won't auto-update correctly on the latest Luma version because it's their way or updating that is broken... SO you're gonna have to update them yourself via FBI itself (use the .3dsx version to do so) before you can correctly auto-update ! :)

ecletico

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I don't have pin code enabled or a splash screen. I formatted the card. No errors. Boot+start still doesn't do anything, it just goes to the regular menu.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
First, it's more of a start+power than a power+start (the time window is small, since otherwise it's wasted time waiting for a button press)

Maybe Luma is loading from ctrnand, in which case it won't use the /luma/ folder on the SD (which may well not be inserted), and use the one in ctrnand instead which probably has no other payloads?

ecletico

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I've tried several ways of pressing the start button and power button. I've tried starting to hold the start button before pushing the power button with no success.

How do I know if it's loading from ctrnand?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
How do I know if it's loading from ctrnand?
I'm not sure if Luma 7.1 tells you (it was added quite recently); if it does, there will be some yellow text in Luma's settings (power+select)

If your console boots without SD, it's loading from ctrnand (while the SD is not inserted; but it's not immediate to prove what happens with the SD inserted)

If you don't have a boot.firm* on the root of the SD, it's loading from ctrnand

If you have a boot.firm but the SD can't be read for whatever reason (partition table, filesystem, corruption, bad connections, ...) it's loading from ctrnand

* I assume you installed the official boot9strap back then, since a modified version may look for a different filename...
I also assume you indeed are using b9s or equivalent (which your claims of "firm" and "luma 7.1" confirm, but you never know)

Last edited by Ryccardo,

ecletico

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I've managed to get it to work. I followed what was said on a topic in this forum, particularly, this post, which stated:

"Luma 7.1 does not have an arm9loaderhax.bin file. It only boots from a boot.firm file which is not on your SD card. That's ok though. It may be on sysnand. And if Luma is loading from sysnand, it will look for payloads in sysnand:/rw/luma/payloads. Try this...

Power off, pop out your SD card, hold Select, and power up.

If you get the Luma 7.1 menu, you're running the early B9S and booting Luma 7.1 firm directly from sysnand. Download Luma 7.1 from the link above and copy boot.firm to the root of your SD card. Delete sd:/luma/payloads/GodMode9.bin. Put your SD card back and boot up holding Start, and you should get the menu."

I did this and it worked. The Luma3ds chainloader menu appeared. After that I just followed the rest of the guide on how to update the BS9. Now everything is updated.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thanks for the answers, guys.

VenomSWR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ok, no PIN nor splash. Try this : take the GodMode9.firm in your Luma/payloads folder and rename it "start_GodMode9.firm", without the "" and the same formatting. That should do it

VenomSWR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You download the latest version of FBI from the GitHub (here : https://github.com/Steveice10/FBI/releases ), you take both .3dsx and cia version, place them in their respective folders (/3ds for the .3dsx version and /cias or whatever you're using for the CIA version). Then, you use the Homebrew Launcher (if you don't have it, you can download the .cia from here : https://github.com/yellows8/hblauncher_loader/releases ) to launch the .3dsx version of FBI and install the .cia from there, and, TADAAAAAA you're all set ! Same goes for LumaUpdater, but you can install it from your installed FBI so you're good with that !

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Stds are more important to him than kids