Boot from SD Card?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Derverd, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Derverd
    OP

Derverd GBAtemp Regular

Dec 22, 2014
    Mars?
    Hi all! I have a dell xps l502x which boots windows 7 from the internal hdd. I'd like to boot from my sd card but when I go into the boot setup, the sd card reader (which is part of the laptop, not a usb->sd card) doesn't show up.

Is there any way I can make the sd card read show up in the boot settings?

Any help is appreciated :D

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    If it is not in the BIOS then not directly, at least short of hacking the BIOS to do it and that is not an easy task.
    You could use some kind of jump loader (before we all got USB booting you might have had to stick a floppy disc or CD or something to boot from that and have it immediately redirect to USB or whatever you had, not sure what there is right now but have an old page on the concept http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16822/boot-from-a-usb-drive-even-if-your-bios-wont-let-you/ ) or install something on your hard drive which does similar, and I imagine a version of GRUB would probably be able to get it done.

Personally I would opt for something else and find one of those slimline/low profile readers or USB drives and use that.

3. Dr.Hacknik

Dr.Hacknik Maniac | Dev | Furry Lewd Cat Gril

Mar 26, 2014
    United States
    my lewd corner
    Most BIOS' don't support booting from a SD Card, you may need to use a CD/DVD or USB Drive.

4. Vishnoo

Vishnoo Failure is success if we learn from it.

Jun 1, 2016
    India
    Just use a SD card to USB adapter,If the bios does not detect the SD card.[​IMG]

Saiyan Lusitano and cvskid like this.
  5. RandomUser

RandomUser What has gotten into you Rosie?

May 9, 2010
    United States
    This should do what you want to do
    [​IMG]
    Although I wouldn't recommend it.

Dr.Hacknik likes this.
  6. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    My Gateway laptop boots from SD card because it's on the USB bus, and is treated as a USB port. Super handy because I can install GRUB to the SD card, and boot from it. Then if I take my SD card out, nobody can boot the laptop but me. :)

And typically, most SD card readers on laptops these days are on the PCIe bus, since most laptops don't have a discrete graphics card using the bus. So if your card reader won't boot, I guarantee it's most-likely a PCIe variety.

Now if you're just going for a slim/stealthy laptop profile that can boot from SD card, I can personally recommend one of these:

[​IMG]

Last edited by Jayro, Jul 6, 2016
  7. Vishnoo

Vishnoo Failure is success if we learn from it.

Jun 1, 2016
    India
    Is there is any SD Card drivers.If yes update or reinstall it.Just Right click This computer>Mange.
    (Old Windows My Computer>Manage)

But i don't know it works for BIOS,I think its only if not working for Windows.[​IMG]

Last edited by Vishnoo, Jul 7, 2016
  8. TheTurkGamer

TheTurkGamer GBAtemp Regular

May 5, 2016
    Netherlands
    In your computer eating all your data
    i think your BIOS or driver is out of date go ahead and update it