Bluetooth cartridge

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Quantumcat, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Quantumcat
    OP

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    I was reading about how the Pokemon Typing Adventure DS game has Bluetooth in it that lets it connect to the wireless keyboard. Would it be completely ridiculous for someone to build a "flashcart" with Bluetooth built in, that let the 3DS use Bluetooth outside of that one particular game (so wireless keyboards in Mii plaza and Bluetooth headphones for games)? Would it be too bulky for Gateway to fit it inside their red cartridge along with the rest of their stuff? Is there a technical reason why it wouldn't be possible (seems strange it doesn't exist, surely people would buy it)?

2. Spaqin

Spaqin GBAtemp Regular

Feb 17, 2015
    Poland
    Yes, it would be completely ridiculous.
    Technical reason? You'd need to change the code of every application and game to throw sound through that BT thing and use a keyboard. Just unfeasible.

If you want to use BT headphones, buy a 10$ or less BT transmitter off eBay or Aliexpress and just connect it to your minijack. More universal, cheaper, and actually possible.

VegaRoXas likes this.
  3. orly3

orly3 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 8, 2015
    That sounds possible. Maybe not for use outside of homebrew but who knows, maybe there could be a cfw that uses a custom cartridge so that it could receive bluetooth connections.

4. TecXero

TecXero Technovert

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Mainframe
    I think using it for sound would be a bit pointless, but I could see some other QoL applications for it, homebrew wise. Like being able to use the 3DS as a bluetooth controller (maybe emulating other controllers for consoles), local data transfer when wifi isn't available, and stuff like that. It would be rather niche, but I'd pay $25 for a cartridge like that if there was software written for it that I'd use.

5. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    yeah it would likely be perfectly possible, but ultimately kinda pointless, you would be lucky if you got like 3 proof of concept homebrew apps for it, really the most likely application would be in a card like sky3ds to run a simple phone app that can switch games.......but again i doubt they would be bothered trying to make it

6. Games&Stuff

Games&Stuff GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 8, 2015
    Belgium
    Shouldn't this be in another section?

7. Osga21

Osga21 King Of All Cosmos

Jun 9, 2013
    The Cosmos
    Why not just get a bluetooth transmiter that connects to your audio jack?

8. Hiccup

Hiccup GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 21, 2009
    Wait wait wait.

It'd only be possible if the software had the necessary amount of access to the DS slot.