Not open for further replies.

rorro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
My Wii U has 5.3.0 at this moment. I have the homebrew channel installed on my vWii (with several Wii and GC titles), and i dont want to lose that because of a possible future update that can mess things up.

So now, i really want to play online and i was thinking of updating to 5.3.2. The thing is, that i dont want that in the future nintendo releases a new firmware that removes the things i have installed on vWii or missing on possible homebrew for the Wii U. Sooo...

Is there a way to block updates but to play online at the same time? If a new firmware is released (lets say 5.4) and it doesnt affect vWii then i will update to that version as well, but i want to make that decision once i know its safe and i dont want my Wii U to update automatically and mess things up.

Thanks in advance.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Wii U has 5.3.0 at this moment. I have the homebrew channel installed on my vWii (with several Wii and GC titles), and i dont want to lose that because of a possible future update that can mess things up.

So now, i really want to play online and i was thinking of updating to 5.3.2. The thing is, that i dont want that in the future nintendo releases a new firmware that removes the things i have installed on vWii or missing on possible homebrew for the Wii U. Sooo...

Is there a way to block updates but to play online at the same time? If a new firmware is released (lets say 5.4) and it doesnt affect vWii then i will update to that version as well, but i want to make that decision once i know its safe and i dont want my Wii U to update automatically and mess things up.

Thanks in advance.
Mods, please close this. The answer is in various threads. Also, the answer is no. All or nothing. You can make it to where you have Netflix and the browser but that is it.

Reactions: Margen67

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
Ummmmmm i think it should stay open tbh. Ninga carver dns server was stopped and not all of us have routers were we can block IP addresses. So i think it still a good/valid topic

Reactions: Margen67

rorro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Mods, please close this. The answer is in various threads. Also, the answer is no. All or nothing. You can make it to where you have Netflix and the browser but that is it.

I dont think its necessary to close the thread because this topic has been discussed in the past but with different firmware versions, different solutions that no longer work, etc, so its valid for me to ask if there is a new way.

I just want to know if there is a safe way to block updates or not, because i want to play online but i dont want my Wii U to update automatically if its not safe. Its a valid question and i didnt find any answers even after searching for this topic.

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
If you can block IP addresses through your router then you could play online without updateing. There is no new workin mtheds as im lookin for 1 myself

rorro

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If you can block IP addresses through your router then you could play online without updateing. There is no new workin mtheds as im lookin for 1 myself

Do you know what IPs needs to be blocked?

Because i do have the following URLs blocked in my router:
nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
nus.cdn.shop.wii.com
nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net
nus.wup.shop.nintendo.net

But i dont want to connect my Wii U to the internet yet because im not sure if thouse URLs are enough to avoid the Wii U from looking for updates...

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I posted this on another thread and I believe it captures my sentiment on these types of threads. Also, jumping up and down cheerleading and giving opinions is NOT doing something useful. If you are one of the ones I trust (see a post of mine from above), then you can criticize and I will care about your opinion. I cannot program, and am only a hardware guy who can read and follow directions. I read and understand what others actually do (the process/system). I never invested time to do that kind of work. I think about 99% of other people are irritated with these types of threads but they gave up on trying to stop them, lol. With my mood it amuses me to post. My other post;

"I seriously think we need a new section for the forums; "People who are too lazy to read the threads and post their issues/questions as a laundry list in a new thread." There should be a fee; if anyone answers all of your questions and experts agree it is legit, then you owe them like $10 or $15 or something for them taking their time to answer YOUR questions because YOU were too damned lazy to look around. Lol."

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Easy as this:

Use OpenDNS.

I blocked both Wii U and 3DS updates by using OpenDNS.

All you gotta do is create an account in the website, then go ahead and follow instructions.
Once you have the DNS server running with the websites you want to block, you simply change your Wii U/3DS Internet Settings to use a certain DNS which should be something like 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
Easy as this:

Use OpenDNS.

All you gotta do is create an account in the website, then go ahead and follow instructions.
Once you have the DNS server running with the websites you want to block, you simply change your Wii U/3DS Internet Settings to use a certain DNS which should be something like 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222

thank you for your usefull post unlike some irrelevant ones here.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Easy as this:

Use OpenDNS.

You mean this guide? https://gbatemp.net/threads/blocking-the-3ds-from-receiving-the-wifi-update-using-opendns.375643/

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Now, how do I know for sure it will work? Can I still use Netflix, the browser, and I assume that online play is still off limits? :P I still assume you can't access the eShop and redownload VC games, right?
Well I set it up and I have a blocked update in the Menu, while I still use the browser and other internet related apps just fine. :P
(Except eShop and anything related to Nintendo Servers)

Edit:
Oh and I still play RE Revelations just fine online.
I don't have any Nintendo games that can be played online though so I can't say for that.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I set it up and I have a blocked update in the Menu, while I still use the browser and other internet related apps just fine. :P
(Except eShop and anything related to Nintendo Servers)

Edit:
Oh and I still play RE Revelations just fine online.
I don't have any Nintendo games that can be played online though so I can't say for that.

Dang, I was wondering if Mario Kart 8 or Super Smash Bros would still work online :P Guess I could test it lol, surprised internet related apps work fine lol :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The mutated Axolotl was awesome