Block updates

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by rorro, Mar 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rorro
    OP

rorro Member

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2014
    Mexico
    My Wii U has 5.3.0 at this moment. I have the homebrew channel installed on my vWii (with several Wii and GC titles), and i dont want to lose that because of a possible future update that can mess things up.

So now, i really want to play online and i was thinking of updating to 5.3.2. The thing is, that i dont want that in the future nintendo releases a new firmware that removes the things i have installed on vWii or missing on possible homebrew for the Wii U. Sooo...

Is there a way to block updates but to play online at the same time? If a new firmware is released (lets say 5.4) and it doesnt affect vWii then i will update to that version as well, but i want to make that decision once i know its safe and i dont want my Wii U to update automatically and mess things up.

Thanks in advance.

2. Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis Banned

Banned
    Dec 30, 2012
    United States
    Mods, please close this. The answer is in various threads. Also, the answer is no. All or nothing. You can make it to where you have Netflix and the browser but that is it.

Margen67 likes this.
  3. jammybudga777

jammybudga777 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 23, 2013
    Ummmmmm i think it should stay open tbh. Ninga carver dns server was stopped and not all of us have routers were we can block IP addresses. So i think it still a good/valid topic

Margen67 likes this.
  4. rorro
    OP

rorro Member

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2014
    Mexico

I dont think its necessary to close the thread because this topic has been discussed in the past but with different firmware versions, different solutions that no longer work, etc, so its valid for me to ask if there is a new way.

I just want to know if there is a safe way to block updates or not, because i want to play online but i dont want my Wii U to update automatically if its not safe. Its a valid question and i didnt find any answers even after searching for this topic.

Margen67, cvskid and tbb043 like this.
  5. jammybudga777

Aug 23, 2013
    If you can block IP addresses through your router then you could play online without updateing. There is no new workin mtheds as im lookin for 1 myself

6. rorro
    OP

rorro Member

Newcomer
    Nov 8, 2014
    Mexico

Do you know what IPs needs to be blocked?

Because i do have the following URLs blocked in my router:
    nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
    nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net
    nus.cdn.shop.wii.com
    nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net
    nus.wup.shop.nintendo.net

But i dont want to connect my Wii U to the internet yet because im not sure if thouse URLs are enough to avoid the Wii U from looking for updates...

7. jammybudga777

Aug 23, 2013
    Sorry i dont no. Check other threads there is one with them listed or wait for some1 else to post here

8. Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis Banned

Banned
    Dec 30, 2012
    United States
    Two person conversation. Yeah, leave this thread open :wacko:

9. jammybudga777

Aug 23, 2013
    why is gba surrounded with douches?? its been open for a day......... yes a hole friggin day....... im pretty sure there is alot more then just us 2 that cant access online. go do something usefull for once

10. Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis Banned

Banned
    Dec 30, 2012
    United States
    I posted this on another thread and I believe it captures my sentiment on these types of threads. Also, jumping up and down cheerleading and giving opinions is NOT doing something useful. If you are one of the ones I trust (see a post of mine from above), then you can criticize and I will care about your opinion. I cannot program, and am only a hardware guy who can read and follow directions. I read and understand what others actually do (the process/system). I never invested time to do that kind of work. I think about 99% of other people are irritated with these types of threads but they gave up on trying to stop them, lol. With my mood it amuses me to post. My other post;

"I seriously think we need a new section for the forums; "People who are too lazy to read the threads and post their issues/questions as a laundry list in a new thread." There should be a fee; if anyone answers all of your questions and experts agree it is legit, then you owe them like $10 or $15 or something for them taking their time to answer YOUR questions because YOU were too damned lazy to look around. Lol."

11. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Easy as this:

Use OpenDNS.

I blocked both Wii U and 3DS updates by using OpenDNS.

All you gotta do is create an account in the website, then go ahead and follow instructions.
    Once you have the DNS server running with the websites you want to block, you simply change your Wii U/3DS Internet Settings to use a certain DNS which should be something like 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222

12. jammybudga777

Aug 23, 2013
    i dunno man i give up. maybe you could phone marcan up to get his opinion on the matter!!!! lmfao

OncleJulien likes this.
  13. jammybudga777

Aug 23, 2013
    thank you for your usefull post unlike some irrelevant ones here.

Margen67 and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  14. EmceeKerser

EmceeKerser GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 3, 2014
    The fuckin' Blue Mountains brah
    This is in one of the stickies. Read the fucking stickies

Fpsrussia117 likes this.
  15. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Really? Which one and where??

Margen67 and jammybudga777 like this.
  16. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

You mean this guide? https://gbatemp.net/threads/blocking-the-3ds-from-receiving-the-wifi-update-using-opendns.375643/

17. ShadowOne333

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Margen67 and the_randomizer like this.
  18. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Now, how do I know for sure it will work? Can I still use Netflix, the browser, and I assume that online play is still off limits? :P I still assume you can't access the eShop and redownload VC games, right?

19. ShadowOne333

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Well I set it up and I have a blocked update in the Menu, while I still use the browser and other internet related apps just fine. :P
    (Except eShop and anything related to Nintendo Servers)

Edit:
    Oh and I still play RE Revelations just fine online.
    I don't have any Nintendo games that can be played online though so I can't say for that.

jammybudga777 and the_randomizer like this.
  20. the_randomizer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Dang, I was wondering if Mario Kart 8 or Super Smash Bros would still work online :P Guess I could test it lol, surprised internet related apps work fine lol :P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.