ROM Hack Blazer Drive DS: Extra missions?

SplashTOMATO

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Concerning the awesome game that is 3112 - Blazer Drive (Japan)

It seems there are Action Replay codes for getting all the Mystickers in this game, but does anyone know of AR codes that can unlock all of the missions? According to the official site, there are unlockable missions only available from downloading through Wi-Fi, but I have no access to Wi-fi that's compatible with my DS (...dad set up our router with WPA security and refuses to switch to WEP). Or is it really that you have to "download" them? >_>

Also, if there's any project going on to translate this game, I'd be willing to help out! If any DS game deserves it most right now, I'd say this is the one. I translate for a lot of fansub groups out in the anime community.

kaizer ryo

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Malaysia
I wanna translate this game but i really don't think i'm cappable of doing it alone.If someone like say.... darth or noitora
wink.gif
would tranlate it i'd be glad to help
yaynds.gif

oh and yeah you have to download them from nwfc

SplashTOMATO

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kaizer ryo said:
I wanna translate this game but i really don't think i'm cappable of doing it alone.If someone like say.... darth or noitora
wink.gif
would tranlate it i'd be glad to help
yaynds.gif

Well, I'm just looking for the programming folks since I've got plenty off my back to say I can do it... XD

QUOTE(psycoblaster @ Jan 27 2009, 05:41 AM) The missions aren't inbuilt in the ROM so you won't be able to use cheats to get them

>_> That's what I feared~ Although that kind of makes me happy in a way that they stuff more in the game than all the sweetness that's already on it. XD~
I have no idea when I'll get a chance to use Wi-fi that my DS will actually work on, but I can just hope they don't take down the downloads when that happens.
I bought the soundtrack and was kind of surprised to see on the back it was written that they'd only reproduce it for a year, like they're expecting that the game wouldn't go down very far in general scheme. Saddening because it's one of the best game OSTs I've ever heard.
Thanks for letting me know!

Morgawr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
psycoblaster said:
The missions aren't inbuilt in the ROM so you won't be able to use cheats to get them

wouldn't it be actually possible to "patch" the original ROM with a "completed" one? meaning the original ROM gets all the downloaded missions as well?

SplashTOMATO

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Morgawr said:
psycoblaster said:
The missions aren't inbuilt in the ROM so you won't be able to use cheats to get them

wouldn't it be actually possible to "patch" the original ROM with a "completed" one? meaning the original ROM gets all the downloaded missions as well?

ohmy.gif
I'd be all for that too!

kaizer ryo

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Malaysia
Dude you translated most of my fav animes
bow.gif

On the other hand my hacking skills aren't really that top notch but i might be able to do a thing or 2.So what do you main ly want to translate?

DarthNemesis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like the game uses the Criware CPK file format. If you're interested in translating it, you'll need dslazy to unpack the game and FileMajik (requires registration) to modify the CPK files.

SplashTOMATO

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vague Rant said:
That's pretty damn unlikely. More likely is save hacking.

Hmm, another possibility? But if it's just a .sav would be able to include the data for the missions? I want to be able to play the missions themselves rather than screwing the .nds into thinking it has them x_X

QUOTE(kaizer ryo @ Jan 27 2009, 07:08 PM) Dude you translated most of my fav animes
bow.gif

On the other hand my hacking skills aren't really that top notch but i might be able to do a thing or 2.So what do you main ly want to translate?

Oh I'd be willing to translate every single bit in it, from the dialogues to the Mysticker descriptions and everything in between XD; It's not that much compared to what some other games might have and it's extremely doable. It's just that while I've done a lot of anime fansubbing (typesetting, encoding too), I've never done a game, so I don't know anything about the technical side there XD Like in anime fansubbing, generally a bunch of people do different jobs for one episode (translating, encoding) and in only rare instances does one person do all the roles. But here, it's not so much the case? As long as there are GUIs for stuff, I can manage, since command lines have always murdered me XD;

The other issue is that well... lol I can't run ROMs on my computer itself because it's an old and weak piece of technology (almost 6 years old now). I play all my ROMs off CycloDS ^^;

Thank you for the links, DarthNemesis!! I read in another place that Blazer Drive was CPK too. Just curious, is that format generally easier or harder to mod than other file formats used on the DS?

Hmmm, mmk, I've got all the files unpacked from the ROM and installed FileMajik. I assume I'm supposed to be using the CRI Packed File Maker Ver.1.36.00 that it ended up being? Anyway, I looked into some of the individual CPK files and now I'm seeing a ton of trd, bhsl, sbd and more file extensions I've never heard of. And... no idea what I'm supposed to do next to go about modifying these? XD

DarthNemesis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SplashTOMATO said:
Anyway, I looked into some of the individual CPK files and now I'm seeing a ton of trd, bhsl, sbd and more file extensions I've never heard of. And... no idea what I'm supposed to do next to go about modifying these? XD
The vast majority of these files are going to be graphics... I recommend Tile Molester for editing them. There's some good information about graphics editing and working with palettes in this thread... the files I've looked at so far have all used the 8bpp linear codec, with the palette at the very end of the file.

For example, 087_over.trd in data/battle/tutorial.cpk:
087overub7.png

View->Codec->8bpp linear
View->Mode->2-Dimensional (try both)
Palette->Import From->This File, Size* 256, Offset** 32820
Image->Canvas Size->Columns = 32 (adjust as necessary for each image)

After figuring out the number of columns, you can use the + key on your numpad to finely adjust the starting offset past the header data. Once you've got the picture lined up nice and neat, you can export it to a bitmap file with Edit->Copy To, then import the edited replacement with Edit->Paste From (make sure to press Esc to drop the image onto the canvas before you save).

*: An 8 bits-per-pixel image can have up to 2^8 (256) colors, and with 15 bits-per-pixel (2 byte) colors, that means the entire palette takes up 512 bytes.

**: Looking at the file in a hex editor, it seems to have a 4-byte signature, then a 4-byte length. Integers are stored in little-endian order, so you reverse the bytes in 30 82 00 00 to get 8230 (hexadecimal, base 16), and convert that to decimal to get 33328. Add 4 bytes for the signature and you know that the end of the file is at offset 33332. Then you just have to subtract 512 to get the offset for the start of the palette data. It probably sounds complicated, but you only have to do this part if you see japanese text after changing the codec.

SplashTOMATO

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL that didn't take me all night to figure out *sweatdrop* But I finally got it~~

Struggle.png

*stares* omg... cheezburgr talk... We can has project? XDDDDDD Err, I just realized mine's an extra pixel shifted, but that should be okay in the end, right >_> That's how I made it accidentally on the copy to.
Thank you so much, DarthNemesis!!

@kaizer ryo: Can you offer to help with getting the png images to edit like DarthNemesis got up there? That really just took me so long because I am soooo slow when it comes to coding and numbers XD As in... somebody can fetch me the png's from the trd's with Japanese text, I'll edit them, send them back, and the other person modifies the trd's. I can even set up an ftp server so that all the files can be organized as a project...

Translating and editing graphics is a lot more of what I do better ^^;

Also I'm sure there must be more to the process than modifying trd files, so if there's more guidance needed that would be hugely appreciated too @_@

psycoblaster

Divine
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SplashTOMATO said:
LOL that didn't take me all night to figure out *sweatdrop* But I finally got it~~

Struggle.png

*stares* omg... cheezburgr talk... We can has project? XDDDDDD Err, I just realized mine's an extra pixel shifted, but that should be okay in the end, right >_> That's how I made it accidentally on the copy to.
Thank you so much, DarthNemesis!!

@kaizer ryo: Can you offer to help with getting the png images to edit like DarthNemesis got up there? That really just took me so long because I am soooo slow when it comes to coding and numbers XD As in... somebody can fetch me the png's from the trd's with Japanese text, I'll edit them, send them back, and the other person modifies the trd's. I can even set up an ftp server so that all the files can be organized as a project...

Translating and editing graphics is a lot more of what I do better ^^;

Also I'm sure there must be more to the process than modifying trd files, so if there's more guidance needed that would be hugely appreciated too @_@
tile molester lets you import/export png, so you can work with photoshop.

SplashTOMATO

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I did that editing in photoshop after I exported it ._.; It just takes me forever to get it so that I can start editing in photoshop in the first place x_X

Necrotek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This topic is pretty old but still I have a request.
I'm trying to find a way to transfer DLC missions into savefile which doesn't contain them. I have a save with six DLC missions unlocked (which are mentioned in Blazer Drive wiki) but I heard that there are more of them, for example April Fools' DLC mission.
I was able to enable six DLC missions in game just changing one byte in memory. It means that they're inbuilt (or some of them are inbuilt).
Does anybody keep a savefile with DLC missions, whether one DLC mission or more? Maybe someone was lucky to get DLC which I don't have. It would be very valuable if somebody had April Fools' DLC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM