Hacking Black Wii

sphinx.djc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I happen to know Santa is bringing me a brand spanking new Black Wii for Christmas, so I was hoping to save him the effort and bought a 1 TB hard drive for backups, modding, etc. I have found... http://www.completesoftmodguide.tk/ ... and am going to use it as a guide for soft modding. I'd like to know if the external hard drive is a good choice. I see lots of people suggesting/using USB drives or SD cards, but I figured those would fill up too quickly, was that a good choice to go with the external hard drive?

sphinx.djc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Magsor said:
Yes you dont need anything else if you format it fat32...
Santa is good with me too I asked for a PS3.

One other question as I read the complete soft mod guide, it says I need either; Lego Indiana Jones (PAL, NTSC), Super Smash Bros Brawl (NTSC), or Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's Wheelie Breakers (PAL, NTSC), I've read the sections on the guide as to what to do with these games but I still don't understand (Could be my lack of knowledge in this
unsure.gif
) Do I absolutely need one of these games?

PS. I got a PS3 a few almost a year after its initial release
tongue.gif
Maybe I've outgrown games (or I'm truly a Nintendo fanboy), but I hardly play it and spend more time on my DSi
yaynds.gif

sphinx.djc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Riley said:
1tb is way too big for just wii games unless you want to store other stuff on it too.
Look here too see if your HD is compatible - http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/USB_Devices_Compatibility_List
Wii games will only take 1-4GB of space.

You also need an sd card with at least 1GB of space to mod the wii and make a bootmii backup.

I will be using it for movies as well. Thanks for the list, I'm checking it out now. As for the sd card, can I use the hard drive in its place?

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
sphinx.djc said:
I will be using it for movies as well. Thanks for the list, I'm checking it out now. As for the sd card, can I use the hard drive in its place?
Youll need a sd card for the setup if youre on 4.2 or lower you dont need the game.

sphinx.djc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Magsor said:
sphinx.djc said:
Youll need a sd card for the setup if youre on 4.2 or lower you dont need the game.

I'm guessing its 4.3 cause its a black Wii, all the guides and topics I'm checking are saying the same thing.

sphinx.djc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Another few questions about soft modding. First off, can I still play bought games after my Wii is soft modded? And can I play games online (bought or loaded from the hard drive)?

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
sphinx.djc said:
Another few questions about soft modding. First off, can I still play bought games after my Wii is soft modded? And can I play games online (bought or loaded from the hard drive)?

Lets put it that way: Your wii is like a cake.
Hacking it is just like icing. You put it on top an it tastes so much better.
Everything works just the same as before so yes, yes and yes.

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
Hacking will not stop anything from working properly as long as you don't cheat in online games and get yourself banned, and even then it's only a simple Wi-Fi ban, they don't brick your console or anything (this isn't M$
tongue.gif
) Since you're going the USB route, don't use cIOSCORP/DarkCORP. It's kind of like Extreme Makeover: Wii Edition, except it's completely unnecessary and doesn't give you anything useful. In fact, you really don't need to patch ANY IOS below 200 with the possible exception of your SM IOS (IOS70 for SM4.2, IOS80 for SM4.3). Anything else can be done in slots >200 (i.e. IOS236 installer rather than patching IOS36 itself).

If you get lucky and have SM 4.2, you can just use BannerBomb v2. If not, you will need one of those games, but you will only need them once. Regardless of which you do, the process is fairly straightforward. Download the HackMii Installer and copy the installer .elf file to the root of your SD card and name it boot.elf. Then, if you have a folder named private on your SD card, rename it in order to not interfere with the exploits. Next, download the files for whatever exploit you will be using and extract them to the SD card as well (BannerBomb, Indiana Pwns, Smash Stack, etc). Most of them are packaged so you can just extract to the root of the SD card, but follow the directions. Then, just follow the directions for the exploit (for BannerBomb, you start with the SD card NOT in the Wii). This usually involved navigating menus or following some in-game directions and should be pretty simple. When you're done, you can rename the private folder back (you can delete the private folder containing the exploit).

If you're on 4.2, I would suggest doing an official update AFTER installing HBC in order to get all of the latest IOSes, including IOS58, which HBC will want. Then move boot.elf from the root of your card to /apps/hackmii (you can name the folder anything as long as it's a folder inside of /apps) and re-run the installer by going into HBC and selecting it from there. If your Wii comes with 4.3 you can skip this step. The reason for this is because if you don't have IOS58 installed when you run the HackMii installer (i.e. if you were on 4.2 at the time) it will pick a different IOS to run on and then you won't get USB2.0 support in newer homebrew (IOS58 is the only official IOS with USB2.0 support). By reinstalling after the update you will fix that.

sphinx.djc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just found out my Wii is 4.3U, I'm looking to do the Smash Stack method to load up HackMii. Before I do that, I'd like to confirm what I'm doing here to make sure I don't skip any steps or make mistakes.

I just formatted a 1TB hard drive (50/50; Wii/PC, FAT32 both partitions) I've downloaded HackMii v0.8.

Do I put the extracted folder (hackmii_installer_v0.8) into the hard drive, then do Smash Stack? Or do I just take out whats in the folder and put it in the drive?

Also, do I need any sort of Forwarding Channels/HBC Loading, or Full Channels?

I'm very new to this and I'd very much like an explanation as to what half of this stuff is I'm doing. I understand that HackMii is used to initialize the 'hack' into the Wii, is that correct?

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sphinx.djc said:
Do I put the extracted folder (hackmii_installer_v0.8) into the hard drive, then do Smash Stack? Or do I just take out whats in the folder and put it in the drive?
unless something has changed that i am unaware of, the hackmii installer must be launched from an SD card....boot.elf in the root of the SD card, then run the exploit....

for your HDD: why have two partitions? ...especially if they're both FAT32.....i'd redo that to a single FAT32-32k partition.....

sphinx.djc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
brausm08 said:
sphinx.djc said:
unless something has changed that i am unaware of, the hackmii installer must be launched from an SD card....

Does it make a difference if its SD card or hard drive?

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sphinx.djc said:
brausm08 said:
sphinx.djc said:
unless something has changed that i am unaware of, the hackmii installer must be launched from an SD card....

did you even read what i wrote??? try again....

sphinx.djc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
brausm08 said:
sphinx.djc said:
brausm08 said:
sphinx.djc said:

did you even read what i wrote??? try again....

But don't SD cards and hard drives perform the same functions? Storing digital information and what not? Thats why I'm asking if there is a difference.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.