Black screen after wake (luma3ds - a9lh)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by smichal, Sep 27, 2016.

1. smichal
    OP

smichal Member

Newcomer
    Jul 28, 2016
    Greece
    Hello,
    I've got a new 3ds xl which I installed luma3ds + a9lh around 2 months ago.

Unfortunately I hadn't ventured into gbatemp forums yet, and did the whole procedure using the "infamous" ModzLink guide which used a batch of files hosted on mega (the guide overall wasn't really that much different from plaillects guide back then, just a bit more confusing and tedious).

On some occasions (like 1 in 10 times) I get a black screen after waking the console up from sleep (ie: opening the lid) and have to force the console off and back on again.

This might be just me nitpicking, but I was wondering if that's normal or something to worry about.

Aside from that, the only Issue I remember having is with devil survivor 2, which hangs for like 15-20 seconds when I tried to open the mail screen on the game's menu.

Although tbh I'm not entirely sure weither that's the game's fault since I was playing it using an UNDUB version and never bothered to check using the normal game version.

Other than that, I haven't had any issue with any other game or homebrew app.

Long story short, I've been wondering if it would be a good idea to restore the console to a vanilla 9.2 (which I think I've kept a backup for) and do the plailect guide again from the start, or if it's not worth the time and trouble.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,
    would love to hear some thoughts

Last edited by smichal, Sep 27, 2016
  2. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    Restoring a 9.2 original and re-doing the process wouldn't take you long now, as it takes literally 30-40 mins if that. Sounds like a hardware issue more than likely but testing out a firmware backup wouldn't hurt.

3. LinkSoraZelda

LinkSoraZelda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    Land of the Rising Orange
    This is completely normal on new 3DS consoles, even unhacked.

4. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    Strange, i've not noticed it on mine.

5. bkifft

bkifft avowed Cuthwaldian

Jun 10, 2010
    Gambia, The
    i second the non noticing, never had that happen on my n3ds XL.

6. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    Just because you didn't notice or run into this issue on your own personal console, does not mean it is not a widespread, normal issue.

Sonic Angel Knight likes this.
  7. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    I've encountered it on a few occasions, usually when I have my console in sleep mode for hours at a time, and lasts for a few minutes, where Luma won't boot. Booting another A9LH payload made it go away, but that might be circumstantial.

I wonder if it's related to temperature. When I keep my 3DS in my backpack, it never does that, I only recall this happening when it's in my pocket, one time was on an especially hot day.

8. LinkSoraZelda

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    Within around seven different consoles (I cycle through them and resell them) I noticed the issue on most of them.

9. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    Yes, I was backing up what you said by letting others know that just because they didn't experience something, doesn't mean that it isn't a major issue. ^_^

10. LinkSoraZelda

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    I saw.

11. Haymose

Haymose GBAtemp Fan

Mar 24, 2014
    United States
    I had this happen to me the first time yesterday. It was right after I installed a boot animation for the first time so I've been testing it to see if it happens again and it hasn't. Guess it's normal.

12. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    I've owned an N3DS for nearly two years now and haven't once ran into this issue. This is also the first time I've ever heard of it happening, so I wouldn't say it's that common, but meh. What do I know?

13. HiD

HiD Member

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2016
    Canada
    I have the same issue as OP, on NEW 3DS XL. It's not a real problem though :)

14. GilgameshArcher

GilgameshArcher GBAtemp Fan

Jul 1, 2012
    Brazil
    São Paulo
    It's caused by SD losing power to keep things running...

15. SketchyPixel

SketchyPixel GBAtemp Regular

Jul 4, 2016
    Korea, North
    Idk, a Black Hole maybe?
    Same thing happens on mine, but like, 1/25 times. So I just save before I put it into sleep, and I don't leave it in sleep for extended periods of time.

16. LinkSoraZelda

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    Which is why it happens when you have no SD Card inserted at all?

It may actually just be a heat issue. It's weird.

17. smichal
    OP

smichal Member

Newcomer
    Jul 28, 2016
    Greece
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone,

as I said, it's not really a problem since it happens pretty rarely, and it's solved by just a forced shut down.

I was just worried it might be a sign of an upcoming problem, seems like that's not the case so I guess I'll leave things as they are for now ;)

Thanks again!

Last edited by smichal, Sep 28, 2016