Black friday not starting on friday!

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by tenkai_2.0, Nov 13, 2012.

Nov 13, 2012
  1. tenkai_2.0
    OP

Newcomer tenkai_2.0 Member

United States
  2. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Just wait, you'll have Black Week soon enough. That's what happened to Boxing Day here in Canada anyway...suddenly it lasts a goddamn week and no one has any sales that are actually even good, cuz they need to last a week.

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Now I have been stateside for a handful of thanksgivings and the resulting shopping days but I have never really grasped the latter which lends a sort of "quaint foreign tradition" feeling to the whole process for me. Also there are a few too many words like "have to" and such which does not reflect well.

4. Lanlan

Member Lanlan Tits

United States
    I can't wait for the Walmart strikes that are supposed to happen on Black Friday

5. jefffisher

Member jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    it's been like that for years I'm not sure exactly how many but at least 7 of them.

6. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Although we don't have a real Black Friday here, stores have been selling Christmas decorations from September. Almost the same with "Get your decorations and presents early!"

7. tenkai_2.0
    OP

Newcomer tenkai_2.0 Member

United States
    yeah they do that everywhere haha...I'm only going to go on the midnight open stores so that means forget:
    • Michael's
    8 p.m.

• Sears
    • Kmart
    • Walmart
    • Toys R Us
    9 p.m.

• actually I'll go to Target

8. Sevael

Member Sevael GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Many stores in Canada do their Boxing Day/Week sales online too. I imagine that the big stores in the States have online shopping for Black Friday too. So does it really matter what time the brick-and-mortar stores open?

In Canada these sales are moving online more and more every year. Stores only tend to have two or three of each of the "door crasher" items, so even if you wait overnight in line you're still fighting a rushing crowd when they open the doors, and you have to be one of the first to get to that particular item or you waited for nothing. I'm not willing to waste all that time on a chance and I hate fighting crowds.

The only things really worthwhile are electronics (IMO), and our electronics giants mirror all of their Boxing Day sales online. It typically goes live on the evening of the 25th and they allow you to preview the items and prices up to a day ahead of time so you can bookmark what you plan to buy. There are hundreds of everything in stock (shows the current stock right on each page) so you will always get the item you're looking for if you shop within the first few hours the sales go live. That evening I just take a break from the festivities for 10 minutes to hop on the websites, order something big like a TV plus a few smaller things, all for an amazing price. Free shipping on all orders over $40 and it's really quick – I usually have the item(s) by the 28th, depending on when the weekend is.

Ordering Boxing Day sales online has been almost like a tradition for years now. I haven't had to step out into the cold nor wait in a line for Boxing Day/Week sales in almost five years now. And more and more people that I talk to are switching to online shopping for those deals. I think the old tradition of going to stores in person on Boxing Day is slowly going away.

Why wait in line in the cold or wade through a sea of people to look for something you want that's probably already sold out by the time you get to it? Maybe some people like that, but not me. :)

9. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Just feels really shitty. I mean I hate the tradition entirely but almost forcing people to go on a holiday? That's kinda low. I mean Thanksgiving is meant to be spent with your family, eating good food and doing family stuff. You shouldn't have to eat a big meal, then waddle around like there's a weight in your stomach and go to a store at 8pm.

But if people want to be morons and partake, go ahead. I'll be doing my shit on Amazon.

10. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    mostly everything was sold out online forcing people to the store were surprisingly most door busters were still available through 5PM on friday

target also opens at 9PM