codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's the skinny,

got a real copy of bioshock infinite for ps3 here in hand. My cecha has rebug 4.46.01 installed.

When I tried to initially rip it and play with multiman, it would seemingly startup but then give me a prompt saying "disc read error. please go back to xmb."

I checked the disc physically to see no discernible scratches.

yet now when I try to re-rip the game, thinking it might have screwed up at one point, it keeps refusing to, or freezing up in the process. I've updated multiman as well, and that doesn't seem to have fixed anything.

What can I do from here to get it to play? Most of my google-fu about this has indicated that the game is going to at least need a patch, which I haven't been able to do yet because I haven't been able to successfully rip/install the game yet, and is pointing to perhaps a corrupted scene rip, which... wouldn't apply when I have the genuine disc right here for it. The game seems to launch fine when I play from the disc straight, but that isn't going to solve my problem, now is it? :wacko:

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope... tried enabling bd-mirror, repairing permissions.... every single time it starts up, it gives me the "a disc read error has occurred. please exit to the xmb and restart" screen.

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
still haven't tried to play it from the disc?

the point is to find out where it breaks:
is it a disc issue?
is it a drive issue?
is it a problem with the ripping process? -- (hdd full/going bad)
is it a problem with multiman?

you can look at the folder structure and verify if the folder size correspond to the game size.

Also if you played it previously on your ps3 and have acquired trophy, that may be what is causing the problem

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would playing through it be a problem? For what it's worth, this one seems to come with the original bioshock, which it allowed me to install no problem.

It actually does start up from its normal disc. But that isn't answering the question or solving the problem.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just because you didn't see any visible scratches does not mean the disc is okay. I handled many game discs that looks okay but having trouble to rip it. Ask for a replacement at store.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, actually the disk in question was loaned from a friend that didn't hack their ps3. I was trying to rip it so I could give it back to them quickly. I know how it is when you loan someone a game and suddenly it's the one you want to play most. :wub:

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
It actually does start up from its normal disc. But that isn't answering the question or solving the problem.

There are many reason why it may not work, the point is to rigorously check out any possibilities until it's narrowed down to one and then it can be solved. I'm assuming that by your google-fu, you've already checked possible compatibility issue with cfw 4.46 with multiman 04.46+ and Bioshock Infinite.

Why would playing through it be a problem?

for some reasons (like lv2 flashing among others) trophy signing can get messed up and games that use trophy checks them while booting, and if something's wrong there, the game crash. the solution to that problem is to clear the trophy data or "re-sign" them

edit: my google-fu gave me few reports of persons having an issue with multiman not being able to copy all of the files correctly and they had to do it manually. It happened to them specifically with bioshock infinite, while they never had that issue before with multiman. The game would crash or refuse to boot, giving them a disc read error.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds exactly like what I am going through. Question is, what kinda files would be missing? And how would I get them in there? Sadly, my pc doesn't have a bluray drive to rip/ftp the files over to the ps3.

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
you can start by using the test function ( highlight game -> triangle -> test) in multiman on both this will calculate the size and number of files for each

you can manually compare files by either using an ftp client or the file browser in multiman (mmos)
from dev_bdvd to dev_hdd0/games/***

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can start by using the test function ( highlight game -> triangle -> test) in multiman on both this will calculate the size and number of files for each

you can manually compare files by either using an ftp client or the file browser in multiman (mmos)
from dev_bdvd to dev_hdd0/games/***
I'll give that a try. Apologies, I've just been a lot busier than expected lately.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, per the advice provided I ddi have a look using test to see the compared size differences between the actual disc (which apparently also has the original Bioshock included as an install PKG) and the share on my external hard drive.

Disc: 17.89GB
USB: 13.58GB

... what the *expletive*

The only thing I could find right away that was drastically changed was that the install PKG for the original Bioshock was split up into pieces... as it was about 11GB's right there.

I had yet to find anything different with the other directories though. So, with that said... any suggestions on how to fix?

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
filezilla has a compare function but one of the folder has to be on your computer, I guess the easiest way to do it would be to manually copy and overwrite the game folder with mmos or a ftp client

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to necro a thread, but new temp job has kept me very busy.

Just wanted to update... I didn't think it was possible, but I was able to directly rip the bluray... over FTP. Once I was able to to do this, I simply FTP'd back (minus the install directory for the original Bioshock - already had the original legit and platinum'd ), and basically having to leave the PS3 on for several days and having to disable power saving features to get all this to finish... but it does work. Don't even need a bluray in the drive at all now. :)

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to necro a thread, but new temp job has kept me very busy.

Just wanted to update... I didn't think it was possible, but I was able to directly rip the bluray... over FTP. Once I was able to to do this, I simply FTP'd back (minus the install directory for the original Bioshock - already had the original legit and platinum'd ), and basically having to leave the PS3 on for several days and having to disable power saving features to get all this to finish... but it does work. Don't even need a bluray in the drive at all now. :)
Multiman does checksum check I believe when ripping directly. In other words it checks to see if file is corrupted or not on the disc.

If you rip from FTP it doesn't do that I'm afraid.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yet strangely, the rip via multiman failed for this game while the rip via FTP works perfectly. Doesn't even need a disc in the drive to play. So I think it's a case that some files might indeed intentionally fail such a check to try and defeat such methods.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back