1. t0_0

OP t0_0 Member
    Newcomer

Netherlands
    Due to corona and working mainly from home, I dusted off my Wii and I am currently on a mission to play all exercise games. It is amazing how many there have been released and even more amazing the lack of them for other consoles after the Wii.
    Ring fit adventure for the Switch might change that, the game seems to be an enormous success. After a success like that, we could see more exercise games coming. Until that happens I believe the Wii is still the exercise king of consoles.

I have played a lot of exercise games already e.g.:

- Wii fit. Has some fun games and provides a moderate workout.
    - EA active sports series. Can be very challenging. I've played EA active sports 2 years ago and stopped because I couldn't keep up the pace of the exercises. Especially the mountain climbers were killing me.
    - DDR seems to be quite fun for a cardio workout. Haven't played a lot with it, but I think I am going to like it.
    - Active life series might be fun. Only played one mini game.
    - Never really enjoyed the Just dance games, but might give them another chance. Folks really seem to like those.

The exercise games I played the most are Exerbeat and Walk it out.

- Exerbeat has a nice variety of exercises with a moderate pace, motion control works pretty well and motivational feedback (daily stamps / walk around the world). Wrist and ankle weights might be helpful to give a better workout if the exercises are not challenging enough.
    - Walk it out is a walking game and tbh probably for most people a bit boring, but I make it harder and more interesting by using a mini-trampoline. Now I am often working from home it is an excellent game to have a small break from the desk, exercise for a few minutes and get the heart pumping.

Anyone else using the Wii to exercise? What are your favorite games and why?

BTW - an excellent site with a lot of exercise games reviews: http://gaming.fit/best-wii-exercise-games

2. JuanMena

JuanMena WARNING: I make bad jokes all the time.

Mexico
    These are the ones that made me sweat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. emcintosh

emcintosh On the internet, everyone knows I'm a cat

United Kingdom
    Many years ago I got a pair of 1kg weights that the wiimote and nunchuk clipped into (Riiflex - green rubber backing). That way any game could be extra arm exercise. I don’t think they’d fit my current Nyko wand+kama (wiimote and nunchuk that will both rumble), though. I played a reasonable amount of Skyward Sword with the weights, but I’m not sure whether it actually helped my strength / fitness.

4. Hakaisha

Hakaisha GBAtemp Regular

United States
    My favorite Wii exercise games are Shape Boxing and Shape Boxing 2. It's somewhat similar to DDR in function, but instead you're doing boxing moves to a rhythm using two Wii remotes, while mirroring the moves of your chosen instructor. Over time you can unlock new outfits for yourself and your instructor, as well as new and more difficult routines to play. The first Shape Boxing game was localized to the west as "Gold's Gym Cardio Workout" (NTSC-U) and "My Fitness Coach: Cardio Workout" (PAL), but the sequel unfortunately stayed exclusive to Japan.

Recently, a third entry to the series released for the Switch called "Fitness Boxing", which is pretty much the perfected iteration of the game; with HD visuals, and the Switch joycons smaller form factor fits better in your hands while you're playing.

Last edited by Hakaisha, May 24, 2020 at 2:15 AM
  5. t0_0

OP t0_0 Member
    Newcomer

Netherlands
    I don't think I've played this one, and might have skipped it only looking for 'real' exercise games. Seems fun, will give it a try and see if I need additional weights (I will probably have the same result with my wrist weights)
    I think you can do the same with Punch Out.

I've heard of the Gold's Gym Cardio Workout and is definitely on my playlist (I do like the idea of a workout boxing game). Didn't know there was a sequel. Unfortunately not available in English. Do you need understanding of Japanese to play it? Is the 2nd version better?

6. Hakaisha

Hakaisha GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I honestly prefer the first Shape Boxing over its sequel. It has that simple Wii Sports vibe to it, whereas the sequel has a more mature tone.

Shape Boxing 2 can be somewhat difficult to navigate and play without knowing Japanese. The menus are all in Japanese and your instructor speaks Japanese the entire time you're playing.

7. t0_0

OP t0_0 Member
    Newcomer

Netherlands
    Okay, in that case I guess the better version is at least playable. Still interested to give the 2nd version at least a try - as my corona mission is to play all exercise games :)

Hakaisha likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - exercise, games,