Best Wii Cooling Fan

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Videomanman87, Apr 21, 2013.

Apr 21, 2013

Best Wii Cooling Fan by Videomanman87 at 1:19 AM (882 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. Videomanman87
    OP

Member Videomanman87 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    While I don't have a problem with my Wii currently and have always had wiiconnect24 off 99% of the time (except for a day or two when I first bought it and noticed it was warm to the touch, after that I didn't run "standby" except for brief periods) I am thinking of getting a extra fan to use during the summer months here. Are there any general consensus on to which ones are better than others?

I have been looking at the Hyperkin stand with fan (it is a stand similar to the stock vertical stand but with a fan in the vent hole to blow air up inside the wii's vent) and the Fii turbo cooling fan which fits on the back. This model has two USB pass though ports (some only have one).

I also saw the Intercooler by Nyko but they are hard to find (or expensive if you do). Are they worth it?

I did search on the forums, and while there is a lot of discussion about overheating, a comparison review of cooling systems was never done. While I could do a hardware mod, I would rather just slip on a outside fan if that will do the job.

Any input is appreciated.

Edit: Bah now I see somehow the "?" in the title was ate. It should say "Best Wii Cooling Fan?" I would edit it, but sadly that isn't allowed. Sorry in advance for the confusion.

2. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    There is no best Wii cooling fan. You are better off without using one. Wii is a low power device to begin with, and using fan attachment will only create turbulence instead of helping the airflow (stock fan next to another fan is no good).

Like you said, simply turning off WiiConnect24 is good enough. WiFi portion of the Wii is the biggest heat source, so turn it off whenever not using.

3. tronic307

Member tronic307 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Don't do it; it'll turn your Wii into a vacuum cleaner. The optical drive will be the main dust compartment, not to mention the heatsink. There are Wii parts for sale all over the internet. Get a new official fan.

4. Videomanman87
    OP

Member Videomanman87 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well I wasn't looking at a huge fast fan. The intercooler is a bit of a overkill (to put it mildly lol) from what I have seen recently. And I wasn't looking to replace the fan, just add a little to it.

I agree though it could lead to a large increase in dust if a strong fan was used and ran all the time. Dust still builds up regardless though in a Wii and needs to be cleaned occasionally. But yes a large fan is not worth it as you would need to clean it too frequently. ;)

5. kumpandjill

Member kumpandjill GBAtemp Regular

United States
    jsut to echo what's already been said... it's not worth it. it provides almost no benefits and has too many drawbacks. not even worth it due to extra power consumption.