Best Video Player for Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by denots, Jan 19, 2012.

Jan 19, 2012

Best Video Player for Wii by denots at 5:01 AM (7,078 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. denots
    OP

Newcomer denots Member

United States
    Ive been using Wiimc to play movies (.avi and mp4 mostly) from an external USB drive. It works fine if there isnt much action on the screen, but when there is it stops every

second or two to buffer for a second or two. Painfully annoying.

I was using Wiimc 1.1.8 and just installed 1.2.2, same thing. I tried dragon media player 0.25 alpha but it seems to only be playing audio not video. I

tried, Mplayer CE but it wont load or even read the USB.

Is there a better program to use or is this just a wii limitation?

2. Tantric

Member Tantric GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Two things are possible:

1) Make sure WiiMC is using IOS58 (click the logo to find out). If it's not, fix that.

2) The video(s) you're trying are too much for the Wii. Try something with a lower bitrate/resolution or in a different format (eg: xvid).

1 person likes this.
  3. Psionic Roshambo

Member Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Like Tantric said it could be your trying to play a 720P or 1080P movie, I have had some luck getting those to work though :) (They only play at 480P but at least if you get them to play you don't need to mess around with converting them.)

2 settings I recommend, one is turning on frame skip (I know some will disagree with this but the frame skip seems to work very good and is not noticeable.) the second is trying to adjust the cache size of the video player. Maybe turn it up to something like 80%

Some video's and formats seem to work better with those settings and some video's will hate them. Just something to try.

1 person likes this.
  4. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    If the above don't fix your problem, install 202[60]v5.1 rodries mod and try MPlayer CE again. WiiMC stopped playing movies (and rarely even detects my HDD) since it dropped IOS202 support and switched to IOS58.

5. denots
    OP

Newcomer denots Member

United States
    Thanks for the help, After i posted this thread i ended up watching the movie on my laptop and noticed it having the same problems, alot less annoying and nowhere near as crippling tho. I figured i could get a different file of same movie, but was hoping i could just "view all" more or less. Ill get to playing around with it over the weekend and come back here.

6. Category

Member Category Trainee Romhacker

United Kingdom
    WiiMC is the best out there in my opinion, plays everything flawlessly for me.

Before WiiMC came out, I used geexbox, which was good. When you get used to the controls atleast.