Best Version of FFIV?

What's the best version of Final Fantasy IV?

  • Final Fantasy II (SNES)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Final Fantasy IV (SNES Fan Translation)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Final Fantasy IV (PS1)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Final Fantasy IV Advance (GBA)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection (PSP)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Final Fantasy IV (DS)

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0

perpetualskeptic

Well-Known Member
OP
Newcomer
Joined
Jan 30, 2008
Messages
52
Trophies
0
XP
213
Country
United States
I'm looking to play Final Fantasy IV sometime in the next few months, and I was wondering which one I should play? I'm mostly a lurker on the forums, but I thought I'd as some advice on this one.

Thanks in advance!

*Edit: Forgot to put in FFIV DS
 

zygie

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2009
Messages
180
Trophies
0
XP
134
Country
N-no FFIV DS?

The GBA version has that extra content (Lunar Ruins, etc.)

Complete Collection has The After Years afaik, it's some sort of sequel to the main game, if you'd like to extend the story to cover that, play that.
 

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2011
Messages
6,192
Trophies
0
XP
2,562
Country
I would avoid FF4 from PS1 below. It is kind of a prehistoric crap shoot. With better versions available, there is absolutely no reason to play them anymore unless you like torturing yourself with the terrible menu system and such.

I played FF4 on GBA. That's the only time I've actually beaten the game. Was pretty fun, and the GBA or GBA mode on a DS outlast the PSP by a long shot. It was the first updated port though, making it a very enjoyable experience. This isn't the one I would recommend though.

Although you lack the DS version on the list, I would pass anyways. The graphics of the DS version are completely wrong for FFIV. I hated them and couldn't get very far in before quitting. Sprite work looks far better on a game like FFIV.

Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection is the way to go. The sprites are gorgeous, as is the over world. It is the best iteration of FFIV to date, hands down. Plus, it comes with FFIV, The After Years, and an Intermission that was created just for Complete Collection. This is absolutely the best way to play the game.
 

zygie

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2009
Messages
180
Trophies
0
XP
134
Country
Nathan Drake said:
Although you lack the DS version on the list, I would pass anyways. The graphics of the DS version are completely wrong for FFIV. I hated them and couldn't get very far in before quitting. Sprite work looks far better on a game like FFIV.
You reminded me how Paladin Cecil looked in the DS version. Goodness.

Good point though, FFIV DS was reworked to be more difficult, so if that's your thing, (and did not purposely leave out the DS version,) you can try that. With that augment system, some people like going through 2 more playthroughs to get all the nice augments on the characters.
 

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2011
Messages
6,192
Trophies
0
XP
2,562
Country
zygie said:
Nathan Drake said:
Although you lack the DS version on the list, I would pass anyways. The graphics of the DS version are completely wrong for FFIV. I hated them and couldn't get very far in before quitting. Sprite work looks far better on a game like FFIV.
You reminded me how Paladin Cecil looked in the DS version. Goodness.

Good point though, FFIV DS was reworked to be more difficult, so if that's your thing, (and did not purposely leave out the DS version,) you can try that. With that augment system, some people like going through 2 more playthroughs to get all the nice augments on the characters.

People always say the DS version was made to be more difficult, but I noticed absolutely zero difficulty differences between the GBA version and the DS version of what I played at the time. I think people may have just envisioned it as more difficult, as most people aren't used to a more old school, naturally more difficult RPG being on a family friendly handheld like the DS.
 

naglaro00

Mildly disturbed
Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2009
Messages
1,380
Trophies
0
Age
26
Location
Pulse
Website
Visit site
XP
171
Country
If you want a (very unforgiving) challenge, play the WiiWare After Years. It's very difficult as hell.

But since you're asking for the original FFIV, go for the PSP one
 

perpetualskeptic

Well-Known Member
OP
Newcomer
Joined
Jan 30, 2008
Messages
52
Trophies
0
XP
213
Country
United States
Added FFIV DS...forgot about it...I knew I was missing one. I am generally more a fan of the old-school sprite-based graphics, although the 3D on it looks nice, and I've heard there's an Undub floating around the interwebs somewhere, and those are always nice.

I played ChronoTrigger on the PS1, and I liked the added video sequences, was wondering if they show up in any other versions.

Was also wondering if the bonus content from the GBA version was in any other versions?
 

Sir VG

Well-Known Member
Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2004
Messages
847
Trophies
0
Website
Visit site
XP
243
Country
United States
perpetualskeptic said:
Was also wondering if the bonus content from the GBA version was in any other versions?

I believe The Complete Collection includes the GBA's bonus dungeons. It just doesn't include the Augment system from the NDS version. (I've mainly spent my time on that version's Interlude, having played the SNES and GBA versions numerous times.)

Between the versions, I really enjoyed the PSP release, since it didn't drag down. Everything was fast paced, graphics were beautiful, and good music (and a choice between arranged and original music!).

If you can't do that, either the original SNES or the GBA versions are good. Skip the PS1 version, which is an awful attempt to port the SNES version.

The NDS version is alright, but I guess I like the sprites versions better.
 

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Member
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
18,148
Trophies
0
Age
28
Location
The Danger Zone
XP
10,212
Country
United States
perpetualskeptic said:
I played ChronoTrigger on the PS1, and I liked the added video sequences, was wondering if they show up in any other versions.

The DS version of Chrono Trigger has an updated version with the video sequences and a classic version I think.

But FFIV CC is by far the best. FFIV DS just had awful graphics that really ruined the game. I know the graphics don't make the game but it's one of the few Final Fantasy stories I really enjoy and having such shitty graphics presenting it ruins it. The Complete Collection just has updated sprites (which look good), keeps some great music, and contains The After Years and a story bridging the original game and TAY.

And for PSP pirates, it's relatively small in filesize so that's a plus.
 

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2008
Messages
3,931
Trophies
1
Age
34
Location
Coventry, UK
XP
2,144
Country
Just out of curiosity, does FF4 CC for PSP have the extra bosses from previous versions? The GBA version had Zeromux EG, the DS version has Proto-Babil or whatever it was called. Does the PSP version retain these additions as Zeromus EG was notably absent from the DS version from what I recall.
 

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Joined
Apr 13, 2008
Messages
3,336
Trophies
0
XP
1,034
Country
Albania
The DS version had a lot of changes made to the character's battle attributes, and the battle system in general. Difficulty's also bumped up a notch.
I guess if you hate the chibi models, you won't appreciate this, but the cinematic are much more dramatic. There's also voice acting here and there which, unlike most games, isn't ear rap e.

But if you hate how it looks, you hate how it looks.

Edit: You're all spoony bards.
 

Nujui

I need something to do.
Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2010
Messages
3,933
Trophies
0
Age
25
Location
Dreamland.
XP
851
Country
United States
Blaze163 said:
Just out of curiosity, does FF4 CC for PSP have the extra bosses from previous versions? The GBA version had Zeromux EG, the DS version has Proto-Babil or whatever it was called. Does the PSP version retain these additions as Zeromus EG was notably absent from the DS version from what I recall.
EDIT: Wrong Game.
 

Goli

RPG
Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
2,571
Trophies
0
Age
27
Website
Visit site
XP
309
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Duskye said:
Blaze163 said:
Just out of curiosity, does FF4 CC for PSP have the extra bosses from previous versions? The GBA version had Zeromux EG, the DS version has Proto-Babil or whatever it was called. Does the PSP version retain these additions as Zeromus EG was notably absent from the DS version from what I recall.
From searching I found this boss.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Whtj1zt0MQ[/youtube]
Yeah, you could have, you know, done things properly, because that boss is from TAY, not FFIV, so that doesn't really answer his question.
To my knowledge, all the bosses from the GBA version are in.
 

Nujui

I need something to do.
Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2010
Messages
3,933
Trophies
0
Age
25
Location
Dreamland.
XP
851
Country
United States
Goli said:
Duskye said:
Blaze163 said:
Just out of curiosity, does FF4 CC for PSP have the extra bosses from previous versions? The GBA version had Zeromux EG, the DS version has Proto-Babil or whatever it was called. Does the PSP version retain these additions as Zeromus EG was notably absent from the DS version from what I recall.
From searching I found this boss.
Snip
Yeah, you could have, you know, done things properly, because that boss is from TAY, not FFIV, so that doesn't really answer his question.
Oh, well sorry, I just did a search and that came up.

I'll remove it.

Wait, correct me if I'm wrong, but he was talking about FFIV CC right? Doesn't that include after years plus this boss? Sorry if I'm wrong.
 

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2009
Messages
8,461
Trophies
0
Location
The Courtroom
XP
806
Country
United States
Well I've only played the DS, PS1, and original SNES versions, and I believe the PS1/SNES and DS versions are on par with each other, but for different reasons. The SNES/PS1 is a great version, with detailed sprites, a pretty good translation, and pretty creative artistic concepts. However, where the DS version excels is the audio. While the VAs aren't the greatest, they are pretty decent and confirms certain name pronunciations that are usually under debate. However, where the DS version truly excels in sound is the remade music. The songs are orchestrated in most cases, and truly benefit from having the SNES version as a backbone for what they should sound like. This is most evident in the Overworld song, which is a truly beautiful remake. Moreover, this is also exemplified in the new and truly stunning intro (both visually and musically) and remakes the Final Fantasy theme song as well as the Overworld song and the love theme in a very pleasing blend that truly works well with the changing attitudes of the visuals.
 

Goli

RPG
Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
2,571
Trophies
0
Age
27
Website
Visit site
XP
309
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Duskye said:
Goli said:
Duskye said:
Blaze163 said:
Just out of curiosity, does FF4 CC for PSP have the extra bosses from previous versions? The GBA version had Zeromux EG, the DS version has Proto-Babil or whatever it was called. Does the PSP version retain these additions as Zeromus EG was notably absent from the DS version from what I recall.
From searching I found this boss.
Snip
Yeah, you could have, you know, done things properly, because that boss is from TAY, not FFIV, so that doesn't really answer his question.
Oh, well sorry, I just did a search and that came up.

I'll remove it.

Wait, correct me if I'm wrong, but he was talking about FFIV CC right? Doesn't that include after years plus this boss? Sorry if I'm wrong.
He's specifically talking about FFIV. All the optional bosses from the original TAY are here too anyway.
 

Nujui

I need something to do.
Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2010
Messages
3,933
Trophies
0
Age
25
Location
Dreamland.
XP
851
Country
United States
Goli said:
Duskye said:
Goli said:
Duskye said:
Blaze163 said:
Just out of curiosity, does FF4 CC for PSP have the extra bosses from previous versions? The GBA version had Zeromux EG, the DS version has Proto-Babil or whatever it was called. Does the PSP version retain these additions as Zeromus EG was notably absent from the DS version from what I recall.
From searching I found this boss.
Snip
Yeah, you could have, you know, done things properly, because that boss is from TAY, not FFIV, so that doesn't really answer his question.
Oh, well sorry, I just did a search and that came up.

I'll remove it.

Wait, correct me if I'm wrong, but he was talking about FFIV CC right? Doesn't that include after years plus this boss? Sorry if I'm wrong.
He's specifically talking about FFIV. All the optional bosses from the original TAY are here too anyway.
Okay, thank you. Sorry about that, I haven't really played a FF in awhile since 13.
 

darksweet

5.. 4.. 3.. 2.. 1.. OMEGA FLARE
Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2009
Messages
322
Trophies
0
Age
36
XP
1,365
Country
i hope they will remake the final fantasy 5 too... and telling us the origin of OMEGA and SHINRYU...
 
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    do you look under the buttons of your mouse
    Gift
  • El_Doot @ El_Doot:
    why do your friends look under the buttons of your mouse
    Gift
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    they dont it's just that they saw the outside of my mouse and said it was disgusting
    Gift
  • El_Doot @ El_Doot:
    oh wait I understand my braincells have increased
    Gift
  • El_Doot @ El_Doot:
    by 1
    Gift
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    funnily enough when i was telling my openly femboy furry bf and my friend(we talk about femboys sometimes) they said "nope we don't wanna hear that that's disgusting"
    Gift
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    why is cheeto dust of all things
    the subject that crosses the line
    Gift
  • RichardTheKing @ RichardTheKing:
    Wait, Switch Online now has Super Mario 64, right?
    Gift
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    i really hate to say this but
    Gift
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    i dont think it does
    Gift
  • RichardTheKing @ RichardTheKing:
    Huh, makes sense; they did sell that through the 3D All-Stars collection.
    Gift
  • RichardTheKing @ RichardTheKing:
    Which, last I heard was removed from the eShop...so they might as well offer it again, I guess...
    Gift
  • RichardTheKing @ RichardTheKing:
    Will they use the same Shindou-translated ROM, or the original English ROM?
    Gift
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    googling it, it seems that mario 64 is on the service
    Gift
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    in japan they use the shindou version apparently but in the states and elsewhere they use the original rom
    Gift
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    oh boy oh boy oh boy i sure do love living in japan and being a mario fan, i just got the new expansion pack, i cant wait to do some bljs!
    +1
    Gift
  • RichardTheKing @ RichardTheKing:
    From what I've heard about the Expansion Pack, the emulator used has some noticeable input delay and/or lag...would BLJs even be possible?
    Gift
  • RichardTheKing @ RichardTheKing:
    Apparently Nintendo adapted the 3D All-Stars emulator, instead of their old Virtual Console emulator - or, if nothing else, copying what fans have done.
    Gift
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    from what i can seem to gather there's some issues but nothing dramatic enough to severely impact what you're playing
    Gift
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    honestly the whole expansion pack confuses me since i thought the nes/snes games were just a neat little bonus
    Gift
  • El_Doot @ El_Doot:
    wait julie your bf is a femboy holy shit im jealous
    +1
    Gift
  • AkiraKurusu @ AkiraKurusu:
    So many planes flying overhead, and they sound close...
    Gift
  • DJPlace @ DJPlace:
    do you need friends to play the games online for the switch exapsion pack i know snes and nes do.
    Gift
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @El_Doot well hey hot people do get more benefits in life
    Gift
  • J @ Jephter:
    Please I need help with this. I just homebrew my old 3ds console and downloaded a CIA file, but after surfing through for only 10 sec or less this appears. please can someone help me? Thank you in advance.
    Gift
    J @ Jephter: Please I need help with this. I just homebrew my old 3ds console and downloaded a CIA file, but...