Hacking Best Setup?

kid sampson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've done nearly everything with my Wii with the exception of installing a hard drive. I understand all about installing hard and soft mods and know all about cios and wads. So I have a basic working understanding. What I need help with is sorting out all of the options when it comes to HDD modifications.

Suppose I already have a hardmodded system with homebrew and a cios installed. Is the setup for a hard drive addition as simple as installing a wad, partioning a drive, and adding images? Secondly, which loader do most prefer? And is there a need for multiple USB loaders or is one a be-all-end-all solution? Also, is there a manager PC-side that outperforms all the others?

Lastly, I'm in the market for a USB drive and have seen others suggest the WD drives. Any other suggestions that might save me a bit of pocket change without sacrificing any performance?

I'm reading up on the guides here, but boy are there a lot of options. I like how slick the WD drives are (especially the white ones); I like the style of Wiiflow (but is that the best?); and I'm not sure there's much difference in the latest WBFS managers out there (am I wrong here?).

Basically, I'd like to be able to use USB instruments with whatever option I go with and it would be great, if currently possible, to run emulators and homebrew from the drive instead of my SD card. I guess I'll have to learn about forwarders and such, but that will be step 2, following the setup.

Any help is much appreciated, and most veteran members, I find, are always very helpful. I've viewed the guides here, but am not entirely sure where to begin. Once I know what to look for, I'll be able to find the rest.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You'll need a cIOS higher than rev9 to use USB loading.

For drives I used a 3.5 drive in a generic enclosure, but I don't think that will really help you.

DigitalSquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used cios_rev15, a WD mybook 630gb HDD, external works great for me. The drive was cheap and works FLAWLESSLY. For USBload I like USBloaderGX, very smooth, updated practically every day, it plays everything I need. I have absolutely no problems with my setup, its turn on, pick and play every time. Everyone has their own way they like things, but this works PERFECT for me.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
You don't have to install a WAD file to get it to work. If you already have a cIOS you don't really need anything additional, though I'd like to come out in favor of using Hermes' mload cIOS instead of that of Waninkoko. It just seems like it's way more actively developed, and there're more choices upon installing it (you can merge it with a few different IOS for different reasons, such as Rockband instruments). You can also have FAT32 support with Configurable USB Loader if you'd like (my favorite USB Loader since it's very very customizable), which makes it even easier if you already have a drive and it's formatted to FAT32. You'd not even have to reformat it then.

wiieye

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally I'd recommend any of the Western Digital PORTABLE drives, such as the Passport. They are the smaller type of drive (2.5") and completely usb powered which means just one small cable to your Wii and that's it. No need for an external adapter/plug. They power on/off with your wii so you don't need to get up to switch it off when you're done playing. Also, since they're small, they can sit pretty hidden by your Wii.

They cost a few $$$ more and the biggest is 500gb (which is a ton of games on wbfs) but well worht it IMO.

I was using usb loader gx, but recently switched to wiiflow and haven't looked back. I have wiiflow set to autoboot using priiloader so no need to go through the system/HBC menu. (For some reason couldn't get usb loader gx to autoboot).

kid sampson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wiieye, looking at what you suggested, I like that setup. Looking around the Dell site, I also found a WD Elements 1 TB External USB 2.0 drive for $90. We have an EPP program at work where I'd save 7%, plus any cash back offer I could find.

Now I know I'd never need this much storage for the Wii, but maybe I can partition it to use for other purposes also? Any idea if these are as good as the MyPassports?

And is there anything like WiiFlow for the various emulators out there? That looks slick! Of course, I'll try all suggested here, but I like the look of this one especially.

Benjay

Hardstyle Addict
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
wiieye said:
Personally I'd recommend any of the Western Digital PORTABLE drives, such as the Passport. They are the smaller type of drive (2.5") and completely usb powered which means just one small cable to your Wii and that's it. No need for an external adapter/plug. They power on/off with your wii so you don't need to get up to switch it off when you're done playing. Also, since they're small, they can sit pretty hidden by your Wii.

They cost a few $$ more and the biggest is 500gb (which is a ton of games on wbfs) but well worht it IMO.

I was using usb loader gx, but recently switched to wiiflow and haven't looked back. I have wiiflow set to autoboot using priiloader so no need to go through the system/HBC menu. (For some reason couldn't get usb loader gx to autoboot).

I just can second this.
I personnaly use a WD My passport , 500Gb , and it works flawlessly.
2.5" , small size etc etc.. as said wiieye.

And of course , for wiiflow , just test it , and you'll be definitely in love with it.
have a look at this , one of my theme for it :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRhuJVWTg38

wiieye

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kid sampson said:
Wiieye, looking at what you suggested, I like that setup. Looking around the Dell site, I also found a WD Elements 1 TB External USB 2.0 drive for $90. We have an EPP program at work where I'd save 7%, plus any cash back offer I could find.

Now I know I'd never need this much storage for the Wii, but maybe I can partition it to use for other purposes also? Any idea if these are as good as the MyPassports?

And is there anything like WiiFlow for the various emulators out there? That looks slick! Of course, I'll try all suggested here, but I like the look of this one especially.

The 1tb drive will work, but it's a 3.5" external drive. So it will need a separate power source and require you to turn it on and off. Look for something like this http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...mp;sku=A1502154 $70 isn't the best price for a $320gb portable.. you can sometimes find them on sale for around $50-60 (maybe black friday deals?). Just make sure it says "Portable" not just "external" and the WDs have the best compatibility. They will always cost more per gb than the 3.5" drives, but like I said, for the convenience it's worth it, especially since you don't need 1tb of space anyway.

Not sure on the the emulators, I don't really use them much.

kid sampson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was able to pick up a cheap WD Passport this morning, so I'm now ready to proceed. Is there a manager you guys prefer over others? Particularly one that will allow me to transfer my games from disk to drive in the proper format? (And preferably one that shrinks them in the process?) Again, many thanks for all the assistance.

todd72173

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats not correct about needing to power off the external drives. I just bought a WD MY Book Essential Edition 1TB for $78 from Walmart. It does power off when the WII is shut off. So non-portables shut off just as well.

Size is most important to me. Anything less than 1TB wont do. So this drive works great! Also, It never leaves my house so why do I need a portable drive? I dont. It stays plugged into the wall and the other end into the WII and shuts off when WII powers off.

Yes, all you need to do is install .wad file, upodate Cios to preferably 15, and go buy that HD. I only tried USBConf because it gets updated the most. Works great so far! Good luck as installing a HD is the best thing for the WII after the modchip.

DjFIL

Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
Just on a side note, of my understanding the Wii USB Loaders or WBFS can't support a partition larger then 500GB anyway... so unless you're going to use the HDD for other purposes (PC backups, etc) then no need to buy bigger then 500GB. My 250 GB is now exclusive for my Wii and doing just great... almost 1/2 full and that's 54 games.

todd72173

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DjFIL said:
Just on a side note, of my understanding the Wii USB Loaders or WBFS can't support a partition larger then 500GB anyway... so unless you're going to use the HDD for other purposes (PC backups, etc) then no need to buy bigger then 500GB. My 250 GB is now exclusive for my Wii and doing just great... almost 1/2 full and that's 54 games.

Nope, not true. All 931GB are recognized out of 1TB in WBFS. and I will use all 931 GB... I have just 1 partition and this 1TB drive is just for the WII. I have plenty of other drives for my PC.

BedtimeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
as far as which USBloader, wiiflow is the nicest looking, but configurable usb loader has the most features, and functionality (you can put all your games on a FAT32 partition instead of WBFS!!). i really recommend conf. loader. as far as which hard dive, just go for something cheap, i have a 5 year old 500GB hdd and it works great (i suggest only getting 250GB though).

kid sampson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a 320 GB WD portable for $49 at Wal-mart on Black Friday and am using the configurable usb loader as suggested. Spent most of today filling it with games and everything is working as it should. Tested a few and they're working just the same as they would from disc. So thanks to everyone who has replied in this thread for their help and advice.

Next, I'm going to try to figure out the configuration tool...

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been wondering about the 1 TB working in USB loaders...
I recommend USB Loader GX and yes the WD Passports turn off when the Wii turns off, I have a 500GB and its quite old probably about 3-4 years now, functions great. I am all for going all out with video games, but 1TB is seriously too much space for the Wii, 500GB is more than enough. I got about 126 games on there and about 30 of them could be deleted in the blink of an eye if space becomes an issue, so out of about 300GB's used, about 50-75GB's are expendable.

I am curious to know how much it would be to put EVERY game scene released for your region on a drive, I estimated once about 2TB's should cover it.

800+ titles between JAP and USA - Dupes = about 725-750 games, an average of 2 GB per game
only about 1.5 TB's. So its possible I guess, but that's a lot of ripping time

todd72173

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All depends on how long the WII sticks around. I say atleast a few more years. That would add up..But I did not realize that some games are 1GB or 2GB.. I thought all games were 4GB. Atleast when I go to install to HD it says thats the size. Ahh. The prices are so cheap now for 1tB (under $100), its a no brainer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou