Best setup for recording youtube Let's Plays

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It`s the time of the year when each of us gifts and receives presents from our relatives-Christmas.
So, my aunt asked me what I want for Christmas and since I lost my old headphones and I`ve started a Youtube channel, I emmediately answered `new headphones`.
She said she`d give me a week or so to decide and now I`m here-asking what would be the best setup for recording youtube Let's Plays?
It can be a combination of headphones and a microphone, but I'd prefer to have built-in microphones.
I'm aiming for a maximum budget of 40£(100 BGN), since I don` want my aunt to spend 100£ on a gift.
And just to mention, microphone quality is the most important thing I`m looking for.

Thanks in advance.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"microphone quality is the most important thing I`m looking for"
An admirable goal- many of the better video makers out there in terms of video quality seem to skimp on the audio and that kills it for most people.
That pretty much discounts all headset units I have ever seen this side of insane money and frankly you are probably looking at around £40 to get something equivalent to the more invested types out there. I am not ready to do model numbers just yet but if you go solo do be careful to check what connectors you will be getting (not many standard sound cards do XLR).

Likewise I can not say I have gone electronics shopping in Bulgaria recently so I do not know if there is a "tax for not being in an English speaking country or one of the remaining big four European countries plus Belgium and the Netherlands", I find there usually is such a thing though.

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
"microphone quality is the most important thing I`m looking for"
An admirable goal- many of the better video makers out there in terms of video quality seem to skimp on the audio and that kills it for most people.
That pretty much discounts all headset units I have ever seen this side of insane money and frankly you are probably looking at around £40 to get something equivalent to the more invested types out there. I am not ready to do model numbers just yet but if you go solo do be careful to check what connectors you will be getting (not many standard sound cards do XLR).

Likewise I can not say I have gone electronics shopping in Bulgaria recently so I do not know if there is a "tax for not being in an English speaking country or one of the remaining big four European countries plus Belgium and the Netherlands", I find there usually is such a thing though.

I can order things off amazon.co.uk / ebay.co.uk with 10 pounds (shipping + tax).
So, I won't be able to find a good mic integrated to the headphones for that type of money?
Well then, let's change the price range. Instead of 40 pounds, could you give me links to the cheapest possible setup that will record with very good quality? I'm sure I could give a hand with the present (I have about 60 pounds extra).

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Obviously the best set up is to have a professional mic on desktop swivel mount connected to a audio interface for phantom power, but that's hundreds of US dollars alone, and extremely idealist. aha

Chances are you wouldn't want just a normal headset since the mic in ports in onboard sound cards are riddled with tons of electrical interference. What a lot of upstart Let's Players and such use are USB microphones like the Blue Snowball. They less than £40 in North America, but are somehow reaching over £100 on eBay UK. (I did see a few £40's though, no idea if they ship to Bulgaria.)

Another road you can go on is with a separate mic and a small end USB sound card. Like a Zalman ZM-Mic1 paired with a generic Dynamode USB sound card ends up sounding pretty well off if you are willing to tweak settings. That by itself is like £10-15.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Good idea