Best Picture setting for gaming?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by rayjay, Jun 17, 2014.

1. rayjay
    OP

rayjay GBAtemp Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    I've recently gotten a 32" Sony Bravia KDL-24W605A HDTV and I'm in the middle of trying to figure out which settings gives me the best picture quality for playing my PS3 and WiiU.
    Does anyone have any general tips that can help me decide?

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    We are going to need model numbers for specifics -- bravia has been around for just shy of a decade at this point.

Anyway does the TV have a native resolution? If so go that. For the PS360 1080p or even 1080i was something of a pipe dream. It may exist and may say that but anything you get will usually just be the UI that is slightly larger which other parts upscaled. To that end if your TV is 720p native but can also take 1080i or something then go with 720p as you are not going to be missing much. I am less sure what goes with the Wii U

"best picture quality"
    Be careful with this, many of the extra options add latency to the image and you do not want that when playing games. If there is a game mode/PC mode then set that. Part of that will disable basically every enhancement feature there is. Equally most extra modes like that do not do well for games anyway.

Other than that make sure the contrast and colours are set up appropriately. I will leave you to figure out colour calibration, as long as they are not completely out of whack then I am usually OK if the sharpness is not crazy high.

3. rayjay
    OP

rayjay GBAtemp Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    It's a KDL-24W605A

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I scanned through the manuals and there was not a lot, still http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/13LW600114/EN/connectpc_europe.html may be useful. Likewise http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-specs/KDL-24W605A/list says 720p, though with "motion enhancer" which I would turn off it the TV does not do it automatically.

There is also a firmware update you might wish to do
    http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/co...update-v4421eua/KDL-24W605A#relevant_products
    It seems to be a somewhat nebulous "improves performance" but consider doing it anyway, it may already have been updated too.

5. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    As far as tips are concerned, disable dynamic adjustment of brightness and contrast (you calibrate those in-game anyways) and motion blur (games do it natively anyways), the rest is a matter of preference.

6. rayjay
    OP

rayjay GBAtemp Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Ok I think I've got the nitty gritty aspects of picture settings sorted, but I can't decide on the colour temp. I'm not sure whether to keep it in Warm 1 or Neutral.

Current settings:
    Picture Mode Game-Standard​
    Backlight 7
    Contrast Max
    Brightness 65
    Colour 75
    Hue 0
    Sharpness 65
    Smooth Gradation Low
    Gamma 0
    LED Motion Mode is turned off

What do you guys think?