best option to play backup

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by spirited, Apr 19, 2009.

Apr 19, 2009

best option to play backup by spirited at 4:04 AM (1,633 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. spirited
    OP

Newcomer spirited Advanced Member

United States
    hi guys, so my gf just got a wii and i havent been keeping up with the wii stuff. I was wondering what is the best way to mod her wii to play backups? I have a wiikey on mine and i like how it's just insert and play without having to worry about not updating or having an update break it so far. Is getting a chip still the simpliest way without having to the twilight hack? If so does anyone have any idea which is the best chip out now? soldering isn't a problem. Thanks for your help guys. I'll keep searching but it's just so much information. thanks again for any help you guys can offer!

2. Dinoguy

Member Dinoguy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    the best without a chip is usb loader,but if you want to go thru the trouble of burning wii games on dvd-rs then .meh

3. spirited
    OP

United States
    alrite i'll look into usb loader. i'm just not updated on the whole starfall, twilight hack, wads installation, etc. last time i looked into this was right before the d2c came out. thanks for the option though, ill read more into it

as for chips i've been looking into wasabi zero or maybe wiikey2.

4. bugaveli

Banned bugaveli Banned

United States
    softmod is free and easy

5. spirited
    OP

United States
    if i soft modded it, would she be able to update whenever or would she have to stay at like 3.2 or 3.4? that's my major concern as her older and younger brothers aren't that "aware"

6. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    There are methods to update to 4.0 and keep the hacks and bugs intact.

7. awsome8

Member awsome8 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    i reckon just use softmii because its great and if you want to backup games, use USB loader 1.1

8. spirited
    OP

United States
    can anyone point me towards a faq on how to install a usb loader? thanks for the softmii info, im currently reading the pdf file trying to wrap my head around how to do this.

9. Dinoguy

United States
    usb loader isn't hard to intall just run the app with a usb hardrive thats compatible in the homebrew channel with rev10 installed.
    You need to put all your wii isos in the hardrive or rip them with the ripping option in usb loader.

10. spirited
    OP

United States
    since i burn out the copy and delete the iso, would i be able to just rip the iso back from the burnt copy without requiring the LG drive?

as for softmii, i would need to do the twilight hack and then downgrade it from 4.0 (ugh i told her not to update it yet) and then do the wad installer then the softmii stuff. sounds about right? that's the only problem i'm going to do all this and her brothers (even after saying not to) are going to be "ooh update, lets update" and ill have to do it all over again :/ thanks for the help though!

11. ineedhelpbad

Newcomer ineedhelpbad Advanced Member

United States
    Yeah you can just use imgburn to make a copy of it.
    Oh your screwed you cant downgrade from 4.0 without a cios installed beforehand.

12. antiaverage

Member antiaverage GBAtemp Fan

United States
  13. Dinoguy

United States
    Doesn't the wiikey bypass some stuff ,Im not sure . But you have to remember he has a wiikey maybe he can install it via that?

14. ineedhelpbad

Newcomer ineedhelpbad Advanced Member

United States
    he has a wiikey on his wii not his GF's

15. spirited
    OP

United States
    yeah the wiikey is on my wii and my wii is still on 3.4 but my gf just got her wii and like i said her brothers are all gung ho on updating so the first thing they did was update it to 4.0. thanks for the link though, i might do the usb loader thing on my wiikey'd wii :]

if she's stuck on 4.0 for now, until they make a downgrade for it, should i just get a wasabi zero for her and just clip it on for now?