skomand

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all,

I've been poking around for mod-chipless options for playing backed-up PS2 games. I've come across a wide range of boot disks and flip-covers and slip cases and whatnot. I'm a bit overwhelmed and was hoping one of you could help me sort through the clutter. What's the best option out there? Is there much risk in installing those flip covers or whatever else? Also, if I want to burn a back-up, do I need DVD burner? Because I only have a CD burner currently.

Also, if there's a resource for this stuff similar to GBAtemp (reviews, forums, etc.) would you please kindly direct me there?

Thanks so much! Love this site like it's my girlfriend.
wub.gif

oteck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Theres another alternative but it's not cheap. It requires a phat ps2 and a HDD adapter + hard drive
this actualy cuts down on the pesky load time by alot. playing xenosaga1 w/o the load is one example but it has some compatibility issues w/ some games and you cant run PS1 games in the Hard drive.

do a search on HDadvance or HDloader

Pado

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You need a DVD burner if you want burn a back-up .. well for PS2-DVD games atleast
tongue.gif

anyway ... first thing first .. do you have a PS2 or a PStwo ???
tongue.gif

Shinji

҉҉ ҉҉
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Good resource site is Ps2Nfo

I think he has a Ps2 cause he mentions installing a flip top.

In this case, There is pretty much no risk if you've worked on electronics before.

Flip Top + Swap Magic = w00tage!

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
thanks -- do i need a DVD burner to burn DVD games?

As stated 2 posts above you, yes.

A PlayStation 1 plays PlayStation 1 games.
A PlayStation 2 plays PlayStation 2 and 1 games.
A PlayStation 3 plays PlayStation 3, 2, and 1 games.

But a PlayStaion 1 will not play PlayStation 2 or 3 games.

It's kinda like this "Do you need a toaster to make toast?" Yes.

skomand

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
missed that post is all.

i'm aware of how backwards compatiblity works -- what made you think i did not?

i only asked if i needed a DVD burner because i thought there might be a way to burn a DVD image to a CD or something.

re: HD Advance + HD -- does anyone have this, and, what are your thoughts.

ohoni

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I got one of those swap discs and slide card solutions and it works great. It's basically a swap disc thing like the Gamecube one, only you need to trick the PS2 into thinking you didn't open it (no pushing the eject button). That's where the slide card comes in. It's a little widgety plastic thing where you remove the front off the CD tray (REALLY easy and reversable), and then you fish it in under the CD tray and use it to manually eject the tray, swap the discs, and you're ready to go.

It works REALLY easy and takes about thirty seconds to load the game once you know how, but you WILL need to get a DVD burner for most games (there are a few that are CD though, like Lego Starwars II). I've tried a bunch of games this way and they all worked (although it took some trial and error to find the right brand of DVDs, Maxell CD-Rs work for me).

The alternative is that fliptop thing, which is about the same, but a little easier and cleaner, and costs like $50 more (the discs cost $30, the card costs $3).

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
same with swapmagic, some games are too big and so cannot run unless you patch them.

if you want a no-hassle solution you have to go for the chip
frown.gif

Tir

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
same with swapmagic, some games are too big and so cannot run unless you patch them.

if you want a no-hassle solution you have to go for the chip
frown.gif
Hardly any games have problems with Swap Magic though, Xenosaga 1 is one of the few that does but the version I got was a single layer dvd so it works fine. Can't think of any other games, it's a cheap and easy solution.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill