Best Modchip For The Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by revron, Feb 1, 2011.

Feb 1, 2011

Best Modchip For The Wii by revron at 2:36 AM (1,752 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. revron
    OP

Newcomer revron Member

United States
    I'm looking to buy a modchip for my brand spankin' new Black Wii. I would like to install a chip that can be removed encase I need to send it in for service. So I guess I'm looking for personal opinions from people who have installed modchips in there Wii's. Which ones do you think are the best and why? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

2. person66

Member person66 If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post

Canada
    Why not Softmod it? As far as I know even with a modchip, you wont be able to play burnt disks unless you change the disk drive for an older model. So why not softmod and use a usb loader? Then you wont even have to open up the wii.

3. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    Black Wii consoles can't utilize disc backup loading, because of the D3-2 drives within them. This defeats practically the entire purpose of mod-chips already. The final blow is that installing a mod-chip will void your warranty regardless, so there's absolutely no point in getting one 'to avoid getting detected by Nintendo', because honestly, they can probably tell.

I'd just read the stickied "Hack Any Wii 4.3 and Below" guide, and use ModMii (also stickied) to hack it with a soft-mod method. Much simpler, and no actual tampering with the hardware required.

4. Donkey Plonk

Member Donkey Plonk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I'm an ex hard mod installer.
    Soft mods all the way nowadays. The hard mod scene on wii's now I personally feel is just to exploit people. It can all be acheived for free.

5. bazamuffin

Member bazamuffin RESIDENT DILF

United Kingdom
    Totally agree

Price of HDD = Same Price of Modchip

Plus, you'll save a fortune on discs and you won't have to spend the time burning 'em and they won't clutter up the joint. Join the USB Loader conga line!!

6. Eric345

Member Eric345 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I just install the WODE in my wii system but it kinda expensive. block wii updates, (not sure), plays gamecube loader on hard drive. well I suggest you should softmod since its free

7. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Yeah, if you're going to do a hardmod you might as well go all out and use a WODE or other drive replacement. Or just do a softmod.

8. vinzanity

Member vinzanity GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    I Loved my Wiikey1 because it did what it was supposed to do, plus it has audio streaming. However nowadays softmod is a very good option but it can brick and you must update always. Still even if soft-mod is free i still went and bought a WODE. definitely pricey but for me it is soooo worth it. Wii and Gamecube from HDD FTW! Plus you get WodeFlow!

9. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Absolutely waste of money!

DO SOFTMOD!

10. revron
    OP

Newcomer revron Member

United States
    Well, it seems the verdict is unanimous! lol. I guess I'll get started soft modding it then. Thanks for your input.

11. ciris

Member ciris GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Im in the conga line!!! [​IMG]