Hacking Best method to use for a (J) console

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm gonna do the mod on a 4.3(J) console soon. Using wii.guide and letterbomb, you plug in your firmware including region and you get a packet tailored for the specific region. I see more recommendations here for using ModMii, but from what I have seen trying to prep for this, ModMii doesn't ask for region, only FW version. (?correct?) I have a (U) console I hacked years ago using Smash, before these guides existed.

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Modmii DOES ask for region, it can be safely used for J consoles. Cheers.

Ok thanks, was difficult to confirm without actually jumping in, and a couple YT vids I watched (don't worry, I don't follow anything off YT for specific instructions, just 'big picture') skipped right by it.

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Modmii DOES ask for region, it can be safely used for J consoles. Cheers.

Does Modmii include facility for region changing? I found out in some reading that even using priiloader region free, some US games will play in Japanese. (?) I may have to go deep here.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Yes ModMii does support region changing, and it is safe to follow but if u lose power at the precise wrong moment or make a mistake following the guide you can brick. My point is that region changing is riskier than a simple mod but can still be safely done as long as you are careful.

Still, if I'm not mistaken, you can just use a USB loader and load up US games and they should play in English just fine without region changing (or priiloader hacks for that matter). So you could try this first if you like.

There's also the emulated Nand route you could try using Modmii's sneek wizard if the other options don't sound appealing

Reactions: Hanafuda

Hanafuda

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes ModMii does support region changing, and it is safe to follow but if u lose power at the precise wrong moment or make a mistake following the guide you can brick. My point is that region changing is riskier than a simple mod but can still be safely done as long as you are careful.

Still, if I'm not mistaken, you can just use a USB loader and load up US games and they should play in English just fine without region changing (or priiloader hacks for that matter). So you could try this first if you like.

There's also the emulated Nand route you could try using Modmii's sneek wizard if the other options don't sound appealing

Yeah, I will definitely stop after the standard package and check a bunch of US games before I would dive into region change. This is a resurrection project for a (J) Wii that was in storage for over 10 years after the disc drive failed, so risks aren't really a concern. I already have a US Wii that's all set, so this is just for a backup and also just for the fun of it. I did get an OEM drive off Amazon, so I'm $25 in, but in the unlikely event I blow it, it's no big deal.

Thanks again for the help!

Reactions: XFlak

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-