Best HD for USB loaders

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by SublimeAndEtc, Jun 1, 2009.

Jun 1, 2009

Best HD for USB loaders by SublimeAndEtc at 6:23 PM (1,315 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. SublimeAndEtc
    OP

Member SublimeAndEtc GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm in the market for an external HD, looking to buy either a 1TB or 1.5TB drive. From what I've read, it seems 500GB is the biggest partition you can use for USB loaders. Is this truly the case? Also, does anyone have a recommendation? I'm pretty much between Western Digital and Seagate, but I'm open to suggestions. The best compatibility for USB loaders is the main thing I'm looking for, because backing up other files doesn't really require anything special.

EDIT: I'm also interested in what HD's you all use. I'd like to hear some personal experiences and ratings!

2. djda

Member djda GBAtemp Regular

Barbados
    The best bet are Western Digital Passports or Seagate (not sure the model might be free agent or something) they are highly reputable brands and have the highest compatibility. The new USB loaders allow for greater than 500 GB i think its a 1TB cap now but dont quote me on that. I just bought a WD and am waiting for it in the mail and its got good reviews so im hoping the same. If your buying online may i suggest sites shopbot.com and shopbot.ca if your in canada. Another good site is newegg.com and again newegg.ca depending thats about it

3. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
  4. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    seagate freeagent go's are the only ones that have a utility to turn off spindown of the hd's while still in their usb casing

5. dajavax

Member dajavax GBAtemp Regular

Mexico
    i just use an ipod and it works great so any hdd proven to work should be fine... and by what you said... seems you think you can use the same partition for wii backups than for files... that's not true... you need different ones... in which case... there's no need for something bigger than 500GB for the wii backup partition... even if there is... they are now supported [​IMG]

6. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I use a Toshiba 320GB. No spindown issues, works in mPlayer and the USB Loader. It's perfect.

7. KirovAir

Member KirovAir Dutch Alcoholic Programmer

Netherlands
    Toshiba 640GB here. Works with GeeXboX and USB Loader. Both have perfect compatibility. [​IMG]

8. srcdecay

Newcomer srcdecay Member

United States
    I'm using a 4 year old Hitachi 250gb in a cheapo enclosure and no problems whatsoever.

9. Awakendarknezz

Newcomer Awakendarknezz Member

United States
    my question is i mean i`m getting kind of confused but let say i download iso from the internet right would i be able to run it with this from my hard drive? i bought a 750gb hard drive and it been pretty much useless. also does this have any chance of getting my wii brick my current firm ware is 3.2.

also don`t take me wrong i love buying games but lately i been ripped off with too many shitty games =|

10. oxMUDxo

Member oxMUDxo GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I hear the Western Digtal 1TB My Book works grate..Thats what I want to get, its 120.00 at Wal-Mart.[​IMG]
    Of corse I'll use half of it for games and the other for movies.

Grate link Hooya,
    Thanks.