Best GBA emu?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Jim-Luc Tiberius Kirkard, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Jim-Luc Tiberius Kirkard
    OP

Jim-Luc Tiberius Kirkard Member

Newcomer
    Aug 16, 2014
    United States
    I think the one I have is Visual Boy or something, but games run slow on it. I would assume that GBA would be below N64 and slightly above Super Nintendo, so I didn't know if maybe there was a better emulator that would run them at regular speed.

2. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
  3. Lycanroc

Lycanroc Midnight Wolf

May 11, 2014
    Germany
    Ibbenb├╝ren
    I'm using No$Gba, I find it faster than Visual Boy Advance, and it also runs DS games :)

ComeTurismO likes this.
  4. SuperrSonic

SuperrSonic GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 9, 2011
    I disagree, on Wii it would be SNES-GBA-n64, and they're certainly not perfect in speed.
    First I would ditch vbagx, it suffers from two major problems: broken auto-frameskip and slight audio skip every 10 seconds or so.
    -There's also WiiMednafen which is slow but accurate and at least has a consistent frameskip and is optional.
    -There's RetroArch's vba next, which is the fastest (and doesn't have frameskip), it had much more work on optimizing than vbagx.

RA has its own problems but it's not as bad as the ones I mentioned, you can even mute audio which is a bit drastic but will increase speed a lot.
    -There's a GBA emu for GC that Nintendo packaged with a few demo discs. Though they have the least compatibility and can't save, it is by far the fastest, especially when loaded with Nintendont(Wii mode).

That should give you an idea of how poorly optimized Wii emus are vs. one made by Nintendo for the much weaker Gamecube.
    After all the homebrew emus are ports of PC emus not made specifically with the Wii in mind.
    The RA emu got a few speed fixes over the others as well.
    Another minor, yet important factor is the pixel aspect ratio difference; the Nintendo emu gets it right, the homebrew ones don't, however RA has this fixed and will be available for the next version.

nakata6790 likes this.
  5. OriginalHamster

OriginalHamster UStealthy

Nov 2, 2008
    Cote d'Ivoire
    off topic, I have Metroid Fusion for Wii U, it runs pretty well but I still can hear some back noises in the sound, I've tested several emulators on PC and Wii and all of them have this problem, was this noise present in the real GBA?