Best emulators for wii per console.

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by deblon23, Sep 21, 2015.

1. deblon23
    OP

deblon23 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 30, 2012
    I will like to know best emulator per console. if the best its a core from retroarch then put that.

Nes
    Snes
    gb/gbc
    Gba
    Etc...
    Thank in advance. :)

2. zerofalcon

zerofalcon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 14, 2009
    Somewhere close to my NES
    NES: Nestopia UE core without a doubt, its the best and most cycle accurate emulator, it plays all official games released and excellent famicom disk support. FceuGX for lightgun (zapper) games, Fceumm core for those weird nes hacks or modified mappers.

SNES: Snes9x Next core if you want better SFX emulation and 97-99% accurate sound. Snes9x GX for super scope games and the likes. Some Virtual Console snes games run better than with these emulators.

GB/GBC: Gambatte core, another perfect example of a cycle accurate emu. It has custom palette support and sgb/custom borders when using overlay settings. There's no point to use vba gx anymore.

GBA: mGBA core, the best you will find for GBA emulation on the Wii. Another BIG reason to leave vba gx in the past.

to be continued...

Last edited by zerofalcon, Sep 24, 2015
    the_randomizer likes this.
  3. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    That's one thing that baffled me about the Snes VC on the Wii, like with Kirby's Dream Land 3; the game made heavy use of pseudo hi-res mode 7 (the foliage and underwater levels with those funky lines), Snes9x Next slow down, but the VC doesn't. Snes9x Next does use Blargg's S-SMP cycle accurate audio core, which to me sounds spot on with the real deal, and no weird tinny audio issue that plagued Snes9x GX :P

zerofalcon likes this.
  4. nakata6790

nakata6790 True Player

Sep 17, 2009
    Greece
    N64: Not64
    PSX: WiiSX
    Atari Lynx: WiiMednafen
    Neo Geo Pocket (Color): Retroarch 1.0.2 NGP core
    Gameboy (Color): VBA GX tied with Retroarch Gambatte core. Former provides in'game changeable borders and more palettes. Latter has better picture quality (though you can mess with VBA GX image options to have a good picture quality).
    Virtual Boy: WiiMednafen
    GBA: mGBA, no contest
    Neo Geo Arcade, CPS1 Arcade, CPS2 Arcade, FBA Arcade: Retroarch 1.02
    Doom (& mods): WiiDoom
    Quake (& mods): Quake GX
    Quake II (& mods): QRevpak
    SNES: Retroarch 1.0.2 SNES Next core (& SNES9X GX for lightgun or mouse games, plus covers & cheats)
    Point & click adventure games: SCUMMVM Wii
    Anything Sega (SG-1000, Master System, Mega Drive/Genesis, Sega CD): Genesis Plus GX
    Duke Nukem 3D (& mods): EDuke 32 Wii
    MSX(2+): Blue MSX Wii
    Hexen (& mods): WiiHexen
    Heretic (& mods): WiiHeretic
    Amiga: UAE Wii
    Neo Geo CD: NEOCD Wii
    NES & FDS: Retroarch Nestopia core (& FCEUGX for lightgun or mouse games, plus covers & cheats). Also, WiiMednafen for the rewind feature ( & 240p "double strike").

Last edited by nakata6790, Sep 24, 2015
  5. zerofalcon

Mar 14, 2009
    Nestopia works fine too with the rewind/fast forward feature, WiiMednafen it's also good, but its video sync it's kind of wrong, there is a visible tearing every determinated seconds.

Btw the fceumm core now supports famicom disk system emulation :)

6. soniccomcisbr

soniccomcisbr GBAtemp Fan

Jul 27, 2014
    Brazil
    Fortaleza, Brazil
    I dont use nestopia anymore because when I tried to use double strike on it starts to drops frames. I am using the good old fceultra mod with covers and using the virtual console pallete

7. soniccomcisbr

Jul 27, 2014
    Brazil
    Fortaleza, Brazil
    Something funny: after read this post I tried again run the nestopia core with double strike resolulution (512x240) and I changed the audio output to 32000. After that I dont had the framerate problem anymore. The I will use the nestopia core mod with virtual console pallete XD

8. zerofalcon

Mar 14, 2009
    Thats weird, I have it configured with 48000 for audio rate out and never failed to me the amazing nestopia.

9. soniccomcisbr

Jul 27, 2014
    Brazil
    Fortaleza, Brazil
    The bug was happening when I tried to use double strike resolutions because I am playing In an old tv

10. zerofalcon

Mar 14, 2009
    Same here I'm using an old crt tv for all retro emulators and I'm sure nestopia never lagged, are you using a first model Wii, Wii U or more recent Wii revision?

11. soniccomcisbr

Jul 27, 2014
    Brazil
    Fortaleza, Brazil
    Frst model Wii. Well I dont know what happened before, but is not happenning now.