Gaming BEST DS Puzzle Game

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No Meteos? Did everyone just forget about that awesome game?

Soul Bubbles was spectacular as well. The art reminded me of Rayman (the first one).

Tetris DS is a no-brainer (it does actually require a brain to play) of course.

Geometry Wars: Galaxies was fun.

Frogger and Cookie and Cream are platform puzzlers.

Batman55

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I liked Neves. But Professor Layton is hands down one of the best puzzle games ever made, that game is just so perfectly charming, addictive and challenging.

jenngcia

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I'll second with WordJongg, a sleeper of a game that's need to be played.
Sudoku that comes with Brain Age.
Scrabble (on DS) (the best Scrabble game for all the platform I'd played. Okay, it's a board game.
Professor Layton (when is the second part coming?)
Picross
Tetris DS
Planet Puzzle League
7 Wonders
Magnetica
Polarium
Elektroplankton (is it considered puzzle?)
Clubhouse Games (again mostly boardgames, but most people that like puzzles also enjoy board games)
Puzzle Quest
Zelda phantom hourglass (it consist mostly of Puzzle albeit in an rpg clothing).

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally I've had a few so far and had to let one go stupidly(Tetris) which I want back...figures it's out of print and costly.

I've currently got Picross DS which has some insane play time involved and added fun with a lot of downloadables too. This one is your classic nonogram grid game where you figure out in something similar to minesweeper just exactly how to pop the right stuff to make a picture for the theme of the area. Things start small from I think it was 15x15 and get up to I believe 25x20 which is damn hard. This game has a good 100hours of play going for it at least unless you're just some nonogram math god who can do it in a good deal less, but at $20 who's complaining?

Planet Puzzle League I had and it bored the crap out of me so I sold it as it just did nothing of value new other than being itself, which I was more burned out on than I thought. The game just is what it is from the past variations minus the insipid pokemon the N64 copy had or Yoshi on the SNES/GB, and at $35 was overpriced.

Zookeeper is a great game and unique, was horribly 2x over overpriced ($40) at launch and hit reasonable ($20) too late to do any good, but it's damn good. You can only slide one piece and just once, have to clear out X amount of so many animals on each board. You can earn a few cheat binoculars to see moves you're blind about, and also has some varying modes on top of an odd quest game.

Tetris DS is kind of self explanatory, but it does have some odd new modes where you can touch the screen to drop stuff which is kind of good, and a push mode where you get into a tetris block shoving match, and of course classic. The game I got sick of because you could easily roll it over as you never had to settle for a piece drop (roll the crap out of it so it never settles, then hit NEXT to pop switch it out if you need to.) I miss it though, thinking of a re-acquiring of it. Sadly used/new whatever you're looking at $35-40+ for a formerly $30 game.

Meteos is another on the market but it's really a hit or miss thing with people. Fully intended as a stylus type game you just slash the screen to line up so many pieces to make them hopefully rocket off (and clear) from the top of the screen. The issue with this game is that you technically can for a long time just slash the crap out of the screen and eventually clear a lot of stuff setting some fine records. Game does track everything and you can buy new stuff with those collected pieces you clear, but ultimately it does wear really thin after time. I just recently got rid of it as it just wasn't cutting it anymore (and used the cash towards Space Invaders Extreme DS and Arkanoid DS.) This game can be had dirt cheap these days in used $10 bins so if its your deal go for it.

Prof Layton games are there, but they're very hit and miss depending on your tastes. These are NOT puzzles by 'classic gaming' terms (like Tetris, Puyo, etc) but brain teasers and if you hate them the awesome cartoon cover story and visuals won't save it for long, but if you love quirky mind benders each one had over 100 in it to mess with.

Puyo Puyo which I popped just above is another that came out but didn't have a huge run or following at least on DS so finding it probably wouldn't be too hard for a fair price. It's your classic 'kirby avalance/mean bean machine' clear so many of the same color type thing sorta like Columns. This game here is a huge favorite among many(Puyo) and has a rabid fan following so it could be your best too. I've seen this I think around $10-15used and $20 new when I do see it pop up so the price is good.

Many of these really do deserve a 'best' status and those I listed all I think do depending on someones personal tastes. There are a lot of puzzles on the system, but these are the quickest that came to mind.

Since we got into 'best' stuff I left out the shovelware things that flash games are made of, though Zookeeper semi-qualified for that as that is where it started, but added so much content, upgrades, and added stuff it stands well.

Upperleft

Namcoholic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Tetris-DS-1.jpg

dipper145

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I love puzzle games.

There are several DS puzzle games that I enjoy, my favourites are:
professor layton
picross ds
crossword ds
polarium
and neves.

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Tetris DS hands down!

Planet Puzzle League and Professor Layton are both excellent puzzle choices.

I usually don't play a lot of puzzles, even though there are a million different puzzle titles on the DS.

Rod

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
go1956.png

I've spent over a month playing this almost daily, not opening any single other rom in my cart. And I still play it, from time to time. Ridiculously addictive.

Layton was nice also, but didn't got me nearly as hooked as this one did.

canli

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Since 4 years, I played several puzzle games on DS.
The first one was Zoo Keeper that I bought.
This game, for me, is the best Jewel-like game on DS, better than a multi-menus made Puzzle League or a Rpg-like Puzzle Quest game.
When playing Zoo Keeper, you must turn the sound off and its story is bad. But its gameplay is da best.

Sudoku Gridmaster, kakuro and Slitherlink from Huston are great games too.

I recommend the Picross games. Though, I loved more the first one. Finished all kakuro puzzles in 70 hours

Magnetica is great too. The quests become more and more stressing.
Meteos is a good game.
Didn't like Puzzle League.

Layton games have great puzzles too.

Njrg

Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't know why you think a rip off game, thats been ripped off again and again and again, is the best DS puzzler. :/

And there are a ton of puzzle games based on how you classify them.

Like Gold Sun is more of a puzzle game with just an RPG system on the side. Most RPG's are mindless dungeon crawling while Golden Sun is puzzel solving in each room.
Zelda can also be classified as puzzle.

Since Golden Sun DS isn't out yet, I can't really argue its the best yet.

So I'm going with Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure.

Next is Rittai (3D) Picross.
Then Picross

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: @Xdqwerty any tips?