Best "Bang For Buck" SBC?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by gudenau, Mar 7, 2017.

1. gudenau
    OP

gudenau Largely ignored

GBAtemp Patron
    gudenau is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    I am looking into single board computers that can run Linux, and I would like to know what the best price to performance ratio that is out there. I am interested in trying to make a small cluster with them, maybe ten nodes or so max? I tried this with some VMs and I got a rudimentary system working with eight (on a four core machine :-P) I will continue to mess with the VMs a bit and see what I can't make them do, I am well aware that they will not perform as well as anything outside of the VMs.

TL;DR
    Raspberry Pi clone that has the best performance per dollar.

2. raystriker

raystriker Alpha PC Builder

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
  3. J-Machine

J-Machine Self proclaimed Pog champion

Aug 25, 2011
    Canada
    A concrete Igloo
    I find the orange pi line up offers some good specs to dollar comparisons compared to most of the others. Never tried to do what you are with them but I made a retropi for half the price of a raspberry pi 3 and it performs the same for that.

4. gudenau
    OP

gudenau Largely ignored

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    Doing research before investing is always a good idea, figured I might ask to get some leads and try to make this take less time.

I'll have to look into these.

5. raystriker

raystriker Alpha PC Builder

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    Why not build one single cheap xeon rig? There is a whole range of used/ES (engineering sample) Xeons on ebay that are dirty cheap.

6. gudenau
    OP

gudenau Largely ignored

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    Because those things are noisy, larger and less fun? This is more for the cluster stuff than anything.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice