Best 3DSXL Grip

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Joe88, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Joe88
    OP

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    So what do people feel is the best grip for this system?

Circle Pad Pro XL
    http://www.amazon.com/Circle-Pad-Pro-Nintendo-Accessory-Included/dp/B009LGO88E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424291164&sr=8-1&keywords=circle pad pro xl
    +adds second analog stick and zr & zl
    +makes the system more comfortable to hold
    -triggers, analog stick, and R button dont work in games that dont support it
    -blocks stylus access
    -requires battery

Cyber Grip XL
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008ZXBYJU...TF8&colid=3D18YJS36XLTW&coliid=I1632TP95YITPN
    +comfortable rubber grip
    +cheap
    +can hold 2 extra carts
    -blocks stylus access
    -clip breaks easily

Gametech Grip XL
    http://www.amazon.com/GAMETECH-Vari..._sim_vg_6?ie=UTF8&refRID=1ARVN4CP11MNM8GW144C
    +can change the size of hand grips
    +triggers work on any game
    +external stylus holder
    -feels flimsy

2. Haloman800

Haloman800 a real gril

Dec 18, 2009
    United States
    I'd probably go with the Cyber Grip. It looks the comfiest (which is the main selling point IMO), inexpensive, holds 2 games, etc. I never use the stylus anyway, not sure about you.

3. Canadacdn

Canadacdn GBAtemp Regular

Jul 20, 2007
    Canada
    Canada
    I bought one of these things and have been pretty happy with it so far. It's solid, doesn't block the stylus, and has responsive trigger buttons. The cartridge slot cover thing was pretty flimsy though, so I just threw it away.

4. Joe88
    OP

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    i'm still leaning towards the circle pad pro mainly because of the mm and mh4u support, the r button (on the 3ds not the grip) is still reachable for games that dont support it but it will be a strech

5. Tomobobo

Tomobobo Champion.

Nov 26, 2005
    United States
    I was thinking the circle pad pro too, but it takes AAA batteries which is absurd, plus the grip isn't as good as the cyber grip. And then on games that don't us the circle pad you have to reach over it for nothing, don't do it.

I have the cyber grip xl and it's super boss except the little clip that clips in on the bottom busted off like the 2nd time I put the 3ds in but it still works fine without the clip, only falling out a couple times on me. It's cheap, and you can hold your DS cart in the back. Also the triggers feel weird at first, kinda too far, but it's easy to get used to.

6. luney

luney GBAtemp Fan

Aug 30, 2006
    United States
    That one looks awesome. Can't wait to see if they release one for the new ones.

7. phazonknight

phazonknight GBAtemp Regular

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    How long was the ship time for this? and does it work with MH4?

EDIT: is there another site to get this from? After checkup the price goes from $7.99 to $21.49 and the seller and I both live in Canada so that is a bit ridiculous

8. Joe88
    OP

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    the item ships from hk, the seller is just reselling the item for profit from some hk shop
    he doesnt actually own the item
    when you buy it he will place an order from the shop and ship it to you and pocket the extra

that grip looks very similar to the Gametech grip except the handles arnt changeable

9. phazonknight

phazonknight GBAtemp Regular

Feb 3, 2014
    Canada
    OOOOO well forget that then lol thanks for clarifying!

10. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    -triggers, analog stick, and R button dont work in games that dont support it
    -requires battery

I don't think it's fair to count those as negatives, as the others don't even have those features, let alone have them work in unsupported games, and the battery thing is, again, only for using features that the others don't even have. It'll still work as a grip without the battery.

11. Joe88
    OP

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    imo they should just have released a fw update to allow it to work on all games
    say for some game that doesnt have support for the cpp, the firmware would detect this and it would just change the inputs on the adapter so that pressing ZL=L and ZR=R, at the very least they should have still enabled the R button regardless of game

and the battery, while it does have a long battery life they should have instead made it should it plugs into the 3DS charging port and takes power from there instead, and put another charging port on the outside of the unit
    would have solved that fairly easily

12. Joe88
    OP

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    just bought a cppxl for $21, should be here on tuesday
    if I dont like it I can just resell it for pretty much the same exact price ( maybe $5 more given the higher demand XD )

13. Joe88
    OP

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    Got it and its pretty nice, bulky and will take a little getting used too but the "R" button stretch isnt too bad, could probably build some sort of adapter
    also the loose volume slider I dont have worry about now since the side of my hand cant touch it when using the grip
    Thing that set me from the cryber grip was the poor quality clip

anyway now onto a different problem
    the slide pad on my 3ds is slippery as hell, its worse when using the grip
    is fairly worn down, guess I could just switch the cpp circle pad with it but its still offers very little grip
    I really dont want to spend $12 to buy rubber grip caps that "might" work, but most buyers just say they slide right off after a while
    I saw some non original ones that were all plastic (no rubber) and they do say it has a textured surface
    http://www.amazon.com/ValueDeluxe-N...F8&qid=1424896064&sr=8-10&keywords=circle+pad

14. Canadacdn

Canadacdn GBAtemp Regular

Jul 20, 2007
    Canada
    Canada

As a guy who gets sweaty hands, I can completely understand. I tried a few circle pad covers, but none of them seemed to stay on very well. They also prevent you from being able to close the console completely, which is annoying and bad for the hinge. I'd say just glue a piece of sandpaper to it or something if the slipperyness bothers you that much.

You may want to also consider swapping the circle pad mechanism in your XL with the one from the CPP if it's getting old. I ended up doing this after my XL's pad started to malfunction. (Thanks Smash Bros!)

15. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States

did you see the circle pad covers, maybe that would work for you.

http://www.amazon.com/Circle-Pad-Co..._sim_vg_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0M2RHSK4Z0R20504QFRK