Been a while

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by blktiger527, Apr 14, 2009.

Apr 14, 2009

Been a while by blktiger527 at 11:30 PM (592 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. blktiger527

Newcomer blktiger527 Newbie

Apr 13, 2009
    United States
    Hi guys, I am a previous modder. I used d2pro v 3 in the past to mod my wii, left a review, and then left the scene. My modchip works perfectly so I didn't read any troubleshooting or find out about any new mod chips.

Now I have returned! I need to mod a wii that is around 3-4 months old, its my uncles. I am pretty confident it is one of those d2nothings that I managed to find some info about...

****Basically heres what I want to know!****

Who made drivekey? Is is some random new company, or a trusted one that I know will provide updates and support?

What is the read speed on the drive key? I cant find this anywhere!

Does the 3x drive speed hurt your wii drives laser?

Should I get the drive key or the wasabi dx? I don't plan on converting it to a wasabi zero so which one do you think would be better?

Last one! If I use the usb loader homebrew app, does the drive speed matter on the chip?

Thanks a lot for your help guys!
  2. SenorClean

Member SenorClean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 21, 2008
    * Drivekey is from the team behind wiikey, d2ckey, d2pro, d2lite, wiikey2.

* Read speed on ALL these solderless 'passthrough' style chips is 3x. They translate dvd video read commands rather than injecting code in to the controller.

* 3x read will not hurt the laser. With real world performance - I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference between 3x and 6x. 3x tends to 'crunch' less though.

* Drivekey / WasabiDX / Flatmod / Sunkey are all pretty similar... go for whichever is cheap and easy to get your hands on - if you even bother at all.

* USB loader uses cIOS - so I suppose it reads using the dvd-video commands at 3x like the soft loader options do. I find it's quicker/easier to dump on games under windows though.

I'm sure the passthrough chips would do the job for you... but they may not be necessary. Maybe cIOS + Softchip / Gamma / USB loader is enough.
  3. Slowking

Member Slowking GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 31, 2006