BBC Upset With Microsoft Over Xbox Live Payments

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by luke_c, Nov 30, 2009.

Nov 30, 2009
  1. luke_c
    OP

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    Source.

2. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    FUCKING CHEAP MICROSOFT BASTARDS.

3. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    Microsoft? Wanting to charge for something that people can get elsewhere for free?

What a surprise.

4. alidsl

Member alidsl I am now a lurker

United Kingdom
    Stupid microsoft, yet another reason to get a PS3 over a Xbox

5. DarkWay

Member DarkWay tsubasa hiroge

United Kingdom
    as much as I love my xbox microsoft are money grabbing bastards and are an evil evil company ¬¬

6. Ace Gunman

Former Staff Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Canada
    Xbox Live is a very solid service from a technical standpoint, but things are beginning to go overboard.

You're charged for the console, then the games, followed by a subscription fee for Live in order to get the most of the console/games, and then you have to pay for individual content on top of that. Much of which should be free (such as avatar clothing), and as is the case with this iPlayer situation, in many situations the developers behind said content wish to give it away free of charge, but are forced by Microsoft into making the user pay.

To make matters worse, we now have full, unblockable ads for both Gold and Silver users. In subscription-based systems, one is generally able to rid themselves of ads by becoming a paid subscriber. Not so in the case of Xbox Live. There's no benefit to the subscriber beyond the ability to use the service itself.

Profiting is fine, but this is getting absolutely ridiculous. When you pay for a subscription to a TV service, all of your TV programming is included in that. You don't have to pay a monthly fee and then buy each show individually too. Alternatively, a service like iTunes, you pay for the individual downloads, but not the service itself. The rule of thumb is one or the other, not both.

And while I'm at it, on a semi-related note, paying for download keys to unlock content that is already on the disc is a despicable practice and should be outlawed by the world governments. "Here, you can have this box full of wonderful things for $50!" "Great! Now how do I open it?" "That will be another $20."

7. scrtmstr

Member scrtmstr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    microsoft should stop this, i've got a 360, and i recently got the facebook, twitter and zune update, They said it was for ALL users, and anyway could acces it anytime. When the update was complete, i went to twitter and facebook, the first thing that popped up on the screen, was to buy a license and a gold membership for 60 bucks or so. And i get it all the time, even when i play a game. Microsoft, you're one of the richest companies in the world, just give something for free.

8. luke_c
    OP

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    Altogether, for the same experience and less money, why not just get a PS3? It's becoming better and better in every way.

9. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    win

10. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    The Twitter/Facebook update is crap. No access in game unlike what many expected.

I agree Live cannot charge for iPlayer content as the public pays the fee already, I would like to be able to watch this on my Xbox (a lot more useful than the SkyPlayer in my opinion) and even though I'm a Gold member so I can play online I still think it should be free to all Live members.

11. Ace Gunman

Former Staff Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Canada
    Well, yes and no. Yes in that they're doing the right thing by having the subscription be free, and the content be priced. As stated in my above post, that's usually how things are done. On that level it's an impressive business model. However, no in the fact that you do get what you pay for. The online service of Xbox Live can generally accommodate more users and offer a greater level of stability.

I know that my, however much, something like $60 - $80 a year is going towards making Xbox Live a more technically stable service. I'm fine with paying a subscription fee for that purpose. But it's all of the needless additional costs on top of that which are bothersome. For example, they should have a subscription service OR ads, not both. One or the other should be going towards paying for their servers, but by doing both that's just them getting greedy.

12. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Stability of xbox live goes to crap every Christmas.

13. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    another reason not to use XBL

here's a fact: it's ripoff online service you have to pay to play the multiplayer mode on a disc you you already bought!

14. Raika

Member Raika uguu

Antarctica
    Bullshit man, who would want to pay for stuff that they can get elsewhere for free?

15. hvsep

Member hvsep GBAtemp Regular

United States
    LOL MICROSOFT.

Good, maybe BBC will set these money hungry sons of dogs straight.

PS3- free online, built in wifi
    Wii- free online, built in wifi
    360- $50/yr for online, $100 for wifi

God, I am sick of Microsoft.

16. CrimsoniteX

Member CrimsoniteX GBAtemp Regular

United States
    They will keep doing it because they are getting away with it... I can't tell you how much it pisses me off that you need a gold account to play games online. I can't tell you how much more it pisses me off that after you pay for the gold account, you STILL see ads every-fucking-where.

17. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    if XBL wasn't around the 360 would have died out a ling time ago. just shows you how many idiots there are paying to use facebook, iplayer and everything else on it which is FREE to use on the PC! [​IMG]

18. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    mixed revenue model gone wrong
    i dont think either of these two are going change their ways so this may be dropped in the future

19. WhoRuJudge

Newcomer WhoRuJudge No, Who Are You?

United States
    Wasn't there something awhile back that said Sony was going to move forward with a paid PSN?
    I can't remember. Anyways, I am too tired too go looking for it. When I wake up I will search for it.

20. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    I think that was a rumor, i dunno.
    Hopefully they wont sink as low as Microsoft