OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
500x_iplayer.jpg

The BBC and MIcrosoft aren't exactly seeing eye-to-eye at the moment, with the British broadcaster unhappy with the way Microsoft charges users for much its online content.

The dispute is centred around BBC's iPlayer, a service that allows people in the UK to watch BBC programs from their computer, PS3 or Wii. There were also plans to include the iPlayer on the Xbox 360, but because Microsoft insisted on restricting access to the player to paying, Gold subscribers, the BBC are withholding it.

Why? Because the BBC can't charge the British public for access to BBC programs, as use of the iPlayer is already covered under the TV license fee the Brits have to pay (Americans may wish to read this before continuing).

"Microsoft only wants to offer its users access to platforms it can charge for as this is the model it is pursuing" a BBC source told The Telegraph.

"This does not fit with the BBC's model and Microsoft will not budge at the moment. It is really frustrating for those involved on the BBC side who want to make sure iPlayer is rolled out on as many popular entertainment platforms as possible".

A more subdued, official statement from the BBC reads "BBC iPlayer has been extremely successful on PS3 and we recently re-launched on Nintendo Wii, from which the public response has been fantastic. People clearly want the BBC iPlayer on their gaming consoles, and we don't think Xbox users are any different, so we've had discussions with Microsoft about bringing the service to the platform."
Source.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Xbox Live is a very solid service from a technical standpoint, but things are beginning to go overboard.

You're charged for the console, then the games, followed by a subscription fee for Live in order to get the most of the console/games, and then you have to pay for individual content on top of that. Much of which should be free (such as avatar clothing), and as is the case with this iPlayer situation, in many situations the developers behind said content wish to give it away free of charge, but are forced by Microsoft into making the user pay.

To make matters worse, we now have full, unblockable ads for both Gold and Silver users. In subscription-based systems, one is generally able to rid themselves of ads by becoming a paid subscriber. Not so in the case of Xbox Live. There's no benefit to the subscriber beyond the ability to use the service itself.

Profiting is fine, but this is getting absolutely ridiculous. When you pay for a subscription to a TV service, all of your TV programming is included in that. You don't have to pay a monthly fee and then buy each show individually too. Alternatively, a service like iTunes, you pay for the individual downloads, but not the service itself. The rule of thumb is one or the other, not both.

And while I'm at it, on a semi-related note, paying for download keys to unlock content that is already on the disc is a despicable practice and should be outlawed by the world governments. "Here, you can have this box full of wonderful things for $50!" "Great! Now how do I open it?" "That will be another $20."

scrtmstr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
microsoft should stop this, i've got a 360, and i recently got the facebook, twitter and zune update, They said it was for ALL users, and anyway could acces it anytime. When the update was complete, i went to twitter and facebook, the first thing that popped up on the screen, was to buy a license and a gold membership for 60 bucks or so. And i get it all the time, even when i play a game. Microsoft, you're one of the richest companies in the world, just give something for free.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
scrtmstr said:
microsoft should stop this, i've got a 360, and i recently got the facebook, twitter and zune update, They said it was for ALL users, and anyway could acces it anytime. When the update was complete, i went to twitter and facebook, the first thing that popped up on the screen, was to buy a license and a gold membership for 60 bucks or so. And i get it all the time, even when i play a game. Microsoft, you're one of the richest companies in the world, just give something for free.

The Twitter/Facebook update is crap. No access in game unlike what many expected.

I agree Live cannot charge for iPlayer content as the public pays the fee already, I would like to be able to watch this on my Xbox (a lot more useful than the SkyPlayer in my opinion) and even though I'm a Gold member so I can play online I still think it should be free to all Live members.

Ace Gunman

~••Lucky҉Shot••~
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
luke_c said:
Altogether, for the same experience and less money, why not just get a PS3? It's becoming better and better in every way.
Well, yes and no. Yes in that they're doing the right thing by having the subscription be free, and the content be priced. As stated in my above post, that's usually how things are done. On that level it's an impressive business model. However, no in the fact that you do get what you pay for. The online service of Xbox Live can generally accommodate more users and offer a greater level of stability.

I know that my, however much, something like $60 - $80 a year is going towards making Xbox Live a more technically stable service. I'm fine with paying a subscription fee for that purpose. But it's all of the needless additional costs on top of that which are bothersome. For example, they should have a subscription service OR ads, not both. One or the other should be going towards paying for their servers, but by doing both that's just them getting greedy.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
another reason not to use XBL

here's a fact: it's ripoff online service you have to pay to play the multiplayer mode on a disc you you already bought!

hvsep

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL MICROSOFT.

Good, maybe BBC will set these money hungry sons of dogs straight.

PS3- free online, built in wifi
Wii- free online, built in wifi
360- $50/yr for online, $100 for wifi

God, I am sick of Microsoft.

CrimsoniteX

Trophies
Website
crims0n.us
XP
Country
United States
They will keep doing it because they are getting away with it... I can't tell you how much it pisses me off that you need a gold account to play games online. I can't tell you how much more it pisses me off that after you pay for the gold account, you STILL see ads every-fucking-where.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
if XBL wasn't around the 360 would have died out a ling time ago. just shows you how many idiots there are paying to use facebook, iplayer and everything else on it which is FREE to use on the PC!
rofl2.gif

WhoRuJudge

No, Who Are You?
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wasn't there something awhile back that said Sony was going to move forward with a paid PSN?
I can't remember. Anyways, I am too tired too go looking for it. When I wake up I will search for it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: Constantly on web forums complaining about how wronged they have been, instead of taking action...