BBC iPlayer DRM Removal

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, so I've got a couple of HD episodes of Dr. Who downloaded and on my PC. I want to somehow remove whatever encryption or DRM that's on it...for free. That last bits the kicker. Apparently the file's encrypted and only the iPlayer software can decode it and that's how the keep the time limit. I've been trying to do some research myself but all I can find is info on how to remove DRM from the old WMV format they used to use (somebody cracked it). Anybody seen/heard of anything that will do the job?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Haven't heard of anything. Can you not download it in WMV still as one of the download options on the iPlayer page for the show? Or is that just standard definition?

Jamstruth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Installed (and had virus alerts soon after, used a crack beforehand though so not sure it's this) and can't make it download the HD doctor who episodes. Tried --get 150 --mode=flashhd but it fails

Pendor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
Installed (and had virus alerts soon after, used a crack beforehand though so not sure it's this) and can't make it download the HD doctor who episodes. Tried --get 150 --mode=flashhd but it fails
Working fine here.

x6bEV.jpg

You're prolly doing something wrong.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Foxi4 said:
Wintrale said:
Why not just torrent the episodes instead? Get the HD rips and you'll get the same quality without any of the hassle.

This. Don't re-invent the wheel, just download a DVD-Rip.
Its not a DVD, so no DVD rips...and it wouldn't be HD if he did that... (DVD rip that is)

Jamstruth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Pendor said:
Jamstruth said:
Working fine here.

x6bEV.jpg

You're prolly doing something wrong.
THat's the non-HD version. Look at the size: 640x360

Error has to do with not being able to access the SWF player on the BBC site

Edit: Hmm, interesting. Got it running for Day of the Moon but can't make it run for the impossible astronaut which is still available Actually never mind, it only just manages to connect. No real downloading happening. Says "STream does not start with expected frame"

Also, in my opinion this isn't reinventing the wheel. THis is trying to access a service I can get normally without limits, having a downloader for it (albeit it in command line form) to get DRM free is handy to me. If I could somehow use the files I've already downloaded directly from the BBC even better

Jamstruth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bump, I know.
Noticing a pattern. It gets to about 5% then can't says "cannot read header".
There's also a problem near the start to do with swfvfy. I have no idea how to use that command though to see if it will help at all.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
shineaway said:
Use one of those iplayer downloader apps, easier than the command line tools.
ipdl.exe was a pretty good one but that stopped working quite a while ago.

Torrent sounds like pretty much the easiest option of those available.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol Veho.