jaladhjin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So all my games are in WBFS format in their respective wbfs directory

I see I could go 1 by 1 with WiiScrubber but I'd be dead of old age before I got through them all.

Are there any batch solutions.. especially ones with a GUI ? :-)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
there's no need to scrub a WBFS format, as they already are scrubbed (if not even better).

Scrubbing is the action of replacing dummy data with identical cluster in order to compress the 4.7GB iso better with rar.
the result is still 4.7GB, but the "random not useful cluster" are now all the same : 0xFF (or 0x00).
the .iso is still in a .iso format, and can be burned on a disc or use to convert into any other format.

wbfs is deleting completely the dummy sectors from the ISO, keeping only the real game's data.
the result is a smaller size image, you can't make it smaller as there's nothing else to scrub or remove. all the remaining data is the game.

structure of a Wii disc :
Update Partition + Some game data + some random cluster + some game data2 + some random cluster + some game data3 + n x random clusters + n game datas + ..... up to 4.7GB

Scrubbed wii disc :
update partition + some game data + 00000000000000000 + some game data2 + 00000000000000000 + some game data3 + n x 0000000000 + n x game datas + ..... up to 4.7GB

wbfs format :
some game data + game data2 + game data 3 + n x game data up to the end of the game data.
the update partition and the unneeded random sectors are completely deleted.

Reactions: jaladhjin

jaladhjin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about scrub and or trimming GC isos ?

I found 1 utility called GameCube tool.. GCIT it seems to go by

It also seems to want me to go 1 by 1

I try adding a folder & it won't look even 1 level deep through sub directories.

Which is problematic since they're all in 1 respective directory as game.iso

The goal being smaller files of course.. Less space less overall transfer time if I ever move them.

Tyvm for the WBFS clarification

Last edited by jaladhjin,

Hking0036

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about scrub and or trimming GC isos ?

I found 1 utility called GameCube tool.. GCIT it seems to go by

It also seems to want me to go 1 by 1

I try adding a folder & it won't look even 1 level deep through sub directories.

Which is problematic since they're all in 1 respective directory as game.iso

The goal being smaller files of course.. Less space less overall transfer time if I ever move them.

Tyvm for the WBFS clarification
As far as I know you're going to have to go one-by-one for your gamecube isos > .gcm. you can use GCMTool, GCIT, or DMToolbox for that but they all do the same thing as wbfs for gamecube images (at least as far as I know, I've not tried DMToolbox).

jaladhjin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as I know you're going to have to go one-by-one for your gamecube isos > .gcm. you can use GCMTool, GCIT, or DMToolbox for that but they all do the same thing as wbfs for gamecube images (at least as far as I know, I've not tried DMToolbox).
What do you mean by iso > gcm ?

I know they're both game file formats.

Will scrubbing trimming etc turn iso into gcm ?

Would there be a bulk way to do gcm ?

Thanks for the help thus far [emoji41]

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically, ".iso" isn't the right file extension for GameCube disc images in the first place. They're not ISO-9660 format. ".gcm" is what the Dolphin SDK uses.

If you have a bash shell installed (or similar), you could do something like this: (Linux example)
Code:
for DISC in *.gcm; do wine discex.exe -c "${DISC}"; done

This will shrink all *.gcm files in the current directory using DiscEX (through wine).

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
remember that scrubbing or trimming a gamecube game image is not always working with emulators or loaders.
if you want to save space, that's fine, but the game can become unusable with nintendont or devolution. there's no way to do the conversion back to the full image.

so it's up to you, based on what you want.
it's best to keep them 1:1 clean iso (or gcm renamed to iso) if you want to use them with a game loader on the console.
if you convert them anyway, maybe you should keep clean game image on your computer or another drive just in case you need the original, clean, untouched image later.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.